BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

03-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
HeartMD
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 MW,ZCP E92

question for supercharger owners

What do you guys do when engine works needs to be done and your car is supercharged. Can you just bring it in to the BMW dealer and they will be able to provide service or do you need to ship it back to whom ever installed the SC.

Thanks
2011.75 E92 MW/BB extended,ZCP,ZP2,ZCV, IPOD,BMW APPS, Heatedseats,6MT, Edition Black Chrome Grills & Side Gills, CF splitters, CF performance spoiler, CF mirror caps, Turner black anodized pedals, Akropovic Evolution exhaust w/CF tips, Still Undecided on tune, AFE Pro5r, AFE intake scoops, LUX H8
2009 E92 JB/Black 335 xdrive (retired)
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Uiop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
NikB316
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition, F83 M4

I would recommend finding a good relatively local shop that can handle all of the servicing and most likely even the install. I see that you are in CT so you are in a good position as there are many excellent shops not too far off. There isn't too much work engine wise you would really need to get done after the install so I don't see it being much of an inconvenience.

If you have a good relationship with your BMW dealer they can handle the non s/c related stuff but some may flag your car warranty wise. Not sure if this is a concern to you. If you are fortunate enough to have a tech experienced with modded BMWs at your dealership then they may be able to handle additional work. I would recommend using the shop that put on the kit or is at least experienced with BMW FI cars though.

If you have decided on a kit I can definitely recommend some shops based on which kit you want to go with. I can't say enough good things about the Active Autowerke kit on my car and the installation job done by MaximumPSI in Linden, NJ. They are probably one of the most knowledgable and experienced BMW shops in the country. They have their own in house turbo kit for E46 and have done other amazing builds. Speaks a lot about their experience.

For ESS kits Auto Couture Motoring in Fair Lawn, NJ is awesome and has installed the most e92 M3 ESS kits I believe. Been there for other stuff related to my car and they've done great work.

2014 M5 Competition Alpine/Sakhir
BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
2011 Space Grey E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
knolow
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

If the work is regular BMW related service a lot of people still bring their cars back to the dealer. Being honest/open with the service rep helps.

If its work on the SC then the above post hit it.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
HeartMD
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 MW,ZCP E92

thanks for the reply guys.
2011.75 E92 MW/BB extended,ZCP,ZP2,ZCV, IPOD,BMW APPS, Heatedseats,6MT, Edition Black Chrome Grills & Side Gills, CF splitters, CF performance spoiler, CF mirror caps, Turner black anodized pedals, Akropovic Evolution exhaust w/CF tips, Still Undecided on tune, AFE Pro5r, AFE intake scoops, LUX H8
2009 E92 JB/Black 335 xdrive (retired)
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #6
Stronghammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

That's a good question. I had a local shop that I trust do the install. My plan is if I have any troubles is to try the dealer, see what they say. If they won't cover a problem under warranty I will get estimates from them and my indy shop and go from there
Mods: ESS VT1, MS test pipes, 19 BBS CH-R, Eibach pro springs, Painted reflectors, carbon fiber grills, Painted side markers with dark tinted lenses, 30% tint, Arkym rear diffuser, Innotech axle back exhaust, Performance spoiler
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #7
arter
collecting toys
Rep
Drives: M3 MCB

I take my car to the dealer for normal free maintenance items and they will check code and stuff as normal. If they decide something is possibly connected to the S/C they wouldn't cover it for free. I have an Indy stop that is far cheaper than the dealer for that kind of stuff anyway.

I had the famous idle valve startup problem last year which from the forum seems to not be connected to S/C's. People here had the dealer replace it for up to $3000 ( charged by the dealer to BMW). My Indy shop replaced and fixed it for $470 of which $316 was the OEM idle valve assembly bought from the BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0