BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

05-08-2008, 12:53 PM   #23
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
BMW dealers are not dropping Dinan. Both of my dealers are still Dinan dealers, people have been still getting the flash done as recently as yesterday. Dinan is cutting ties with unproductive Dinan dealers.

See my above post.
I just read your post. Very informative! I guess I should rephrase myself. My local dealerships have been speaking about no longer offering Dinan products for a couple of years. The issue with them "altering their wording" to make it sound like it is their choice rather than Dinan's sheds light on the situation. Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 01:30 PM   #24
SGBlade
Speed is relative, control is everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW M3

I have noticed that independent DINAN dealers are better suited for Q&A rather then the dealers. I have a couple of friends who got DINAN parts at the dealer when purchased the car new and loved the idea of financing those upgrades into the monthly payments. I find it better imo to go to say Performing Imports nad talk to Ron and Sal regarding DINAN upgrades, they make me feel like they will take there time or even research the topic we are discussing. There work is outstanding and the DINAN quality parts are amazing imo. DINAN is pricey but the peace of mind I get is better suited to my style. I cannot wait to see what they come up with for the new M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 03:08 PM   #25
M2MG17
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

This could be interesting to see if it will affect Dinan's future distribution and marketing reach with less BMW dealers carrying Dinan. The other interesting point will be to see how much this would also affect Dinan sales with less customers being able to finance these upgrades with the payment of their cars.

I heard that BMW performance is coming out with several performance upgrades that are suppose to compete against Dinan that will obviously be covered by BMW warranty.

I cant wait to see what Dinan has in store for the New M3 V8 though.
      05-08-2008, 03:09 PM   #26
BobbieBrighto
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 03 BMW M5

Quote:
AND NOW, as for the Dinan dealers "dropping" Dinan. Other way around.

It is not BMW dealers that are dropping Dinan. It is the other way around. Dinan is dropping/ending partnerships with dealerships that aren't selling Dinan products well. Laszlo, in your case, your SA or whoever was probably just bitter so wanted to make it seem like they were getting rid of Dinan.

Anyway, Steve Dinan himself confirmed at Bimmerfest that everything is fine, and just business as usual.
in other words, its been usual in Dinan's business history to drop/end partnerships that aren't selling Dinan products well? doesnt make much sense. what is the incentive, motivation or loss for such action? what about service?

from my understanding, it is, in fact, the other way around: BMW dropping Dinan. why? bmw is offering its own competitive, performance line of products, BMW performance products. its as simple as that.

does this make more business sense? yes.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 03:12 PM   #27
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbieBrighto View Post

from my understanding, it is, in fact, the other way around: BMW dropping Dinan. why? bmw is offering its own competitive, performance line of products, BMW performance products. its as simple as that.

This is my understanding as well. BMW is really pushing their performance department (..a'la...keeping the money "in house").
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 03:24 PM   #28
tdc
always notorious
Rep
Drives: beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post
Whatever the situation actually is, BMW itself has no official Dinan relationship, correct? BMW also does not honor any warranty claims on Dinan parts -- it is Dinan, therefore Dinan provides the security. You may feel misled due to Dinan's cozy relationship with many dealers but getting money out of BMW over this will be like getting blood out of a turnip. [COLOR="red"Your local dealer OTOH...[/COLOR]
Perfectly put.

And that last phrase is right on the money. If the DEALERSHIP misled the customer into thinking that BMW had any kind of connection to DINAN, then they could be liable.

But at the end of it all, BMW still has no ties to DINAN.
      05-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #29
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
wow good to know, Dinan just become even more worthless in the tuner market
      05-08-2008, 04:03 PM   #30
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbieBrighto View Post
in other words, its been usual in Dinan's business history to drop/end partnerships that aren't selling Dinan products well? doesnt make much sense. what is the incentive, motivation or loss for such action? what about service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90330iS View Post
wow good to know, Dinan just become even more worthless in the tuner market
I give up. Everyone believe what you want to believe.

There is always this Dinan speculation crap. Every time someone says well but no, this time it is for real, we swear. Every time the speculation comes from someone who knows absolutely nothing about Dinan.

There are several people (including myself) about to go into their BMW/Dinan dealer to get the throttle response update for the current DME flash. Of course, since BMW has dropped Dinan, this must be happening in an alternate dimension.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 04:06 PM   #31
lotus_enzo
Animal Chin Search Party
Rep
Drives: 2006 Lotus

Didn't intend to start a rumor - I think I made it clear that I was looking for confirmation concerning what I heard at my dealership and that I was not stating fact.

So it appears that if a Dinan product causes a problem or requires warranty work, the consumer must pay BMW out of pocket to mend it and then have Dinan reimburse them?

The difference at my dealership is that when they offered Dinan products the consumer didn't have to pay out of pocket. This new, extra step at my dealership makes modifying a less interesting option for me.

And to bring it back round to the M3 - the ended relationship removes any ideas I had of getting a 135/335 instead of an M3 so....M3...here I come.
      05-08-2008, 04:08 PM   #32
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus_enzo View Post
Didn't intend to start a rumor - I think I made it clear that I was looking for confirmation concerning what I heard at my dealership and that I was not stating fact.

So it appears that if a Dinan product causes a problem or requires warranty work, the consumer must pay BMW out of pocket to mend it and then have Dinan reimburse them?

The difference at my dealership is that when they offered Dinan products the consumer didn't have to pay out of pocket. This new, extra step at my dealership makes modifying a less interesting option for me.

And to bring it back round to the M3 - the ended relationship removes any ideas I had of getting a 135/335 instead of an M3 so....M3...here I come.
No, the customer does NOT pay out of pocket. Dinan directly pays for the work. How in the world did you come up with that?

If your dealer does not offer Dinan products anymore then that is that. You'll have to go somewhere else to get them.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 04:22 PM   #33
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

To the OP: Here is a list of Dinan/BMW dealers in NC. Good luck.

Fletcher BMW
649 New Airport Blvd
Fletcher, NC 28732

Crown BMW of Greensboro
3902 W. Wendover Ave
Greensboro, NC 27407

Leith BMW
5601 Capitol Blvd.
Raleigh, NC 27616
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 06:19 PM   #34
SGBlade
Speed is relative, control is everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW M3

Quote:
To the OP: Here is a list of Dinan/BMW dealers in NC. Good luck.

Fletcher BMW
649 New Airport Blvd
Fletcher, NC 28732

Crown BMW of Greensboro
3902 W. Wendover Ave
Greensboro, NC 27407

Leith BMW
5601 Capitol Blvd.
Raleigh, NC 27616
And if you ever in GA go see Ron at Performing Imports 770-641-6202
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 11:07 PM   #35
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldminer View Post
I have not seen a BMW dealership agreement but I suspect that BMW has the right to control many aspects of their business possibly including what non-BMW sales take place on the premises.

I have seen a a fastfood franchise agreement and with one of those the store owner has very few rights and is largely at the mercy of the franchisor.
Let me know what you find out.

Bruce
Appreciate 0