BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge

Mporium BMW

10-02-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

Wow..Chicago voted out of the Olympics in the first round?

Wow.

Over Tokyo? Really?

I figured if we didn't get it, we'd at least come in at #2. I'll be even more shocked if Rio does not get it.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Man you are fast. Listening right now.

Rio is actually the fave now. Madrid, maybe. Tokyo eliminated. FYI.

Prez must be in total shock.
      10-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
E90RYANJB
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Man you are fast. Listening right now.

Rio is actually the fave now. Madrid, maybe. Tokyo eliminated. FYI.

Prez must be in total shock.
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

best news heard all day...

city taxes are high enough and traffic already sucks
      10-02-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Prez is trying to quit but I bet he has a Marlboro in each hand right now.
      10-02-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog View Post
best news heard all day...

city taxes are high enough and traffic already sucks
Major fail for the Commander in Chief.
      10-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
fdsasdasdf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

http://online.wsj.com/home-page?mod=djemalertNEWS

Just got this e-mail.

Really interesting.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #8
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
Major fail for the Commander in Chief.
Why you be hatin on Chitown?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #9
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

So the chosen one and Queen Oprah couldn't deliver. Maybe they don't walk on water after all.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #10
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

After the announcement.

Just having some fun, supporters.
Attached Images

10-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #11
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Wooo Hooo! Now I wont have to spend the next six years listening to this shit...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #12
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
Why you be hatin on Chitown?
I didn't realize I was hatin on Chicago. But it has a reputation as one of the great capitols of curruption in the world.
      10-02-2009, 12:08 PM   #13
fdsasdasdf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1254...=djemalertNEWS

Rio de Janeiro is it.

Quote:
Chicago's early exit was a shock, as President Obama lent the full force of the White House to the effort and flew to Copenhagen overnight to deliver a seven-minute speech to the International Olympic Committee Friday morning. In addition, Michelle Obama spent much of this week in Copenhagen personally lobbying IOC members...Chicago's boosters spent $48 million on the four-year campaign
Major Obama fail.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #14
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT View Post
Wow.

Over Tokyo? Really?

I figured if we didn't get it, we'd at least come in at #2. I'll be even more shocked if Rio does not get it.

I'm actually glad "he" got shot down so quickly....
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #15
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

You have to wonder if his and the Mrs flying to Copenhagen to give their "pitch" was a turn off to the IOC?????
      10-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #16
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

all these people have no clue about the olympics if they are complaining about taxes and so on.. first off corporations would pay for a HUGE chunk.. second has anyone been to an olympic city? seen the awesome structures in munich used for concerts and other sporting events tot his day? has anyone seen the property value's increase in these cities substantially since the olympics were announced there? the average home in the city would have gone up around 10-15% b/c of this.. that is HUGE.. your talking another 30-100k on average in the city pending on the area and type of home.. this is a huge bummer.. peoiple worried about traffic for 2 months at most.. people worried about a 2k bump in taxes? you would gain soooo much more in city beautification and buildings built for the olympics.. the excitement would have been incredible.. a lot more events for the city in the long run.. more concerts more soccer more fun. this is really sad that we lost to a city who has metal shacks behind there beaches in the mountains who come out and steal from tourists and locals alike.. a friend of mine had his gold chain ripped off his neck at a street like michicgan avenue in rio.. rio's crime makes the south side and west side of chicago look like a vacation.. i mean it is really really bad down there.. somebody must of had some dirt on someone in the committee or something b/c this is ludicrous. the crime alone in rio should have shot them down.. but they did give a nice presentation and they are spanish speaking and south america has never hosted a game.. but they already get the world cup so wtf gives.. every city who has had the olympics does better in the long run b/c of it. i could have handeled losing to madrid but not to rio.. it is a crime dump.. it makes chicago's coruption seem like a boat ride in "it's a small world" in Disney world.
________
ford flex history
________
Side effects of prilosec

Last edited by purplewidow; 09-11-2011 at 05:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 01:34 PM   #17
BimmerDom
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 xDrive 30i

Garage List
I am personally very pleased that Rio won, first time in Brazil or South America, will be very beneficial for that city and country.

I have a soft spot for Chicago being that the last 2 companies I worked for were headquartered there, I've been a few times and think its a great city.
But like Toronto's 2 failed attempts, Chicago is added to the list of cities that failed in their Olympic bids to satisfy greater diversity in the hosting of the games.

Rio is a great choice, a lot of positive will come out of this

New Rides: BMW X3 30i & Telsa Model 3 PLR RWD
Sold:2016 BMW 340i xDrive
2008 BMW 335i Sport/Premium 6MT/JB3
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #18
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post

I'm actually glad "he" got shot down so quickly....
He?

Talk about cutting one's nose to spite their own face.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #19
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
all these people have no clue about the olympics if they are complaining about taxes and so on.. first off corporations would pay for a HUGE chunk.. second has anyone been to an olympic city? seen the awesome structures in munich used for concerts and other sporting events tot his day? has anyone seen the property value's increase in these cities substantially since the olympics were announced there? the average home in the city would have gone up around 10-15% b/c of this.. that is HUGE.. your talking another 30-100k on average in the city pending on the area and type of home.. this is a huge bummer.. peoiple worried about traffic for 2 months at most.. people worried about a 2k bump in taxes? you would gain soooo much more in city beautification and buildings built for the olympics.. the excitement would have been incredible.. a lot more events for the city in the long run.. more concerts more soccer more fun. this is really sad that we lost to a city who has metal shacks behind there beaches in the mountains who come out and steal from tourists and locals alike.. a friend of mine had his gold chain ripped off his neck at a street like michicgan avenue in rio.. rio's crime makes the south side and west side of chicago look like a vacation.. i mean it is really really bad down there.. somebody must of had some dirt on someone in the committee or something b/c this is ludicrous. the crime alone in rio should have shot them down.. but they did give a nice presentation and they are spanish speaking and south america has never hosted a game.. but they already get the world cup so wtf gives.. every city who has had the olympics does better in the long run b/c of it. i could have handeled losing to madrid but not to rio.. it is a crime dump.. it makes chicago's coruption seem like a boat ride in "it's a small world" in Disney world.
I think you're the one who has no clue. I live in an olympic city (Montréal, 1976) and none of what you describe happened. Corporations did not pay a cent for the Games, it was mostly public funding (my taxes). The smokers basically paid for it in the form of a tax on the cigarette pack. Cost of construction skyrocketed because the union blackmailed the city by going on strike constantly. Very few of the buildings built really have much life after the Games because let's face it how many cyclists have a need for a world-caliber velodrome. We did have a use for a couple of sports arena that are used for indoor team sports (basketball, handball, et al) which we did not have before. In Europe, there is a huge circuit of track and field events which helps re-use the olympic stadium. In North America, athletics are geared towards arena sports (hockey, basketball). Stadiums for baseball and football are not necessarily olympic-capable venue.

I do not know how a few mostly ugly concrete blocks increase the beautification of a city. Olympic stadiums are not actually very good for concert venue, the acoustic is just terrible.

I'll agree with you that the level of violence portrayed for Chicago pales compared with Rio. I'll also agree that the IOC is a heavily politicized body and that the decision was possibly already decided in advance and only a truly impressive performance by the Chicago delegation coupled with a lousy presentation by the Rio group would have clinched it for Chicago.

Cheers.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 03:20 PM   #20
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 03:35 PM   #21
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I love it, good job guys.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #22
MontegoblueE92
Captain
Rep
Drives: It Like He Stole It

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
but they did give a nice presentation and they are spanish speaking and south america has never hosted a game.. but they already get the world cup so wtf gives.. every city who has had the olympics does better in the long run b/c of it. i could have handeled losing to madrid but not to rio.. it is a crime dump.. it makes chicago's coruption seem like a boat ride in "it's a small world" in Disney world.
First off, Brazilians speak Portugese. And Atlanta just hosted the olympics in '96. They want some variety in venues instead of going to America every 5 times.

Yes, crime is prevalent in Rio. But it seems like you have an opinion on the city based on your friend getting mugged. I have a relative who was mugged in Chicago. Does that make it a crime dump? I think not. I have been to Rio twice and had a great time both times. Never encountered anything crime-related besides being asked if I wanted to buy some pot. But that is normal in most countries I've been to.

Until you can form a sound, logical analysis of something, don't be so quick to pass judgement. It just makes you seem ignorant and unintelligent.
Appreciate 0