BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW
Closed Thread

03-25-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
Fen335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster

Any update on the PC vs ESS tune face-off?

I saw a thread on here from about a month or so ago where ESS invited Powerchip to come to their facility and compare their ECU tunes. Did that ever happen or are the two companies still working out the details?

Just thought I'd ask...I'm concered with making sure whatever tune I go with is "safe" for the engine and I thought this comparison would be beneficial for potential buyers
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

unfortunately there will not be any face-off....as for which is safer i only have experience with powerchip and i have no complaints it is working as it should and the car is running very smooth
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

I didn't think PC expected ESS to take him up on his offer, and then when they did, he was too busy. Too bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
I didn't think PC expected ESS to take him up on his offer, and then when they did, he was too busy. Too bad.
Yeah, ESS went pretty far on it too....said they'd pay for the PC rep's plane tickets both ways, pick him up, buy him lunch, provide the stock test cars, and drive him back to the airport.

I was really looking forward to the test, and looking forward to data which proves over verbal claims that these tunes are safe. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
Fen335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster

That's dissapointing...I was hoping to see the results of the head to head.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 01:37 PM   #6
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeJayKaying View Post
Yeah, ESS went pretty far on it too....said they'd pay for the PC rep's plane tickets both ways, pick him up, buy him lunch, provide the stock test cars, and drive him back to the airport.

I was really looking forward to the test, and looking forward to data which proves over verbal claims that these tunes are safe. Oh well.
..hmm how would the lunch go? That would be pretty uncomfortable sitting there w/t your competition..
the way I see it, talk is cheap.

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #7
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

its the way the testing was going to be done that shut the shit down
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 03:08 PM   #8
pumper206
80 Deep, We All Eat!!!
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxe92xx View Post
its the way the testing was going to be done that shut the shit down
Huh? I don't get it.
Would've been really cool. Wonder why PC chickened out?
This would've been the perfect shootout!! I've been contemplating ESS or Powerchip.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Guys, you should know that insulting comments won't be tolerated. Hence I had to delete some posts. Thanks for understanding!

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 05:08 PM   #10
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper206 View Post
Huh? I don't get it.
Would've been really cool. Wonder why PC chickened out?
This would've been the perfect shootout!! I've been contemplating ESS or Powerchip.
powerchip never "chickened" out the situation is full of drama and politics....like said above my stage 2 powerchip tune is doing what its suppose to no problems no nothing its the best tune for this car no bullshit....i have no experience with ess
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #11
LV-E92M3
Lieutenant
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Donkey

Quote:
powerchip never "chickened" out the situation is full of drama and politics....like said above my stage 2 powerchip tune is doing what its suppose to no problems no nothing its the best tune for this car no bullshit....i have no experience with ess
PC refused challenging and I have a question for you. How can you judge that PC is the best tune for E9X even though you never have the experience with other tunes? That's bias
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 05:25 PM   #12
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV-E92M3 View Post
PC refused challenging and I have a question for you. How can you judge the PC is best tune for E9X even though you never have the experience with other tunes?
they refused because they did not like the way the testing was going to be done...like i mentioned above in case you didnt take a chance to read the thread..both parties could not come to an agreement on the "way" testing was going to be done

i have seen numerous dynos before and after with powerchip, aa, and other tunes...why? because i also wanted the "best" tune for my car and powerchip offers the most from a tune that i have seen...

i have yet to see a before and after dyno for a car tuned with the ess software nothing against ess its plain and simple i have yet to see a dyno and read a review for the ess tune...i would never buy something for car such as a tune with researching first
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 05:37 PM   #13
pumper206
80 Deep, We All Eat!!!
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW E92 M3

Quote:
Sorry, wrong choice of words. Should have said "backed out". How could they have possibly NOT come to an agreement on how to do the testing?
Is it that hard? Are there that many factors? I mean 2 reps(PC and ESS) come out with their tunes and 1 completely stock vehicle, right? Or would that not work? How about with 2 stock vehicles then? Do they need to take into consideration how sophisticated the ECU actually is and drive the 2 cars around for a week after the ECU is reflashed, so that it can make the necessary adaptations? I dunno, these are things that just popped into my head. I'm not a professional in this field so excuse me if I'm being ignorant.

BTW, I think both companies(Powerchip and ESS) are great. Does one company's tune HAVE to be better then the others? Or is it possible that they are equivalents of each other?

Last edited by pumper206; 03-25-2010 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 05:47 PM   #14
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Looks like it's not happening, no need for further discussion as it seems many members can't even begin to approach this topic in a mature and objective manner.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread