BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

12-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
DATM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR / F06 M6

Garage List
M Mode vs Non M mode

I went to the Dyno the other day and I wanted to see if there was any power difference in M Mode and Non M mode. I was very surprised to find out there was not any power difference. The power curves were nearly identical and the only difference was at the top end where M Mode peaked 8 HP higher. I think this was only due to the driver keeping the throttle to higher RPM. I kind of felt disappointed after finding this out. Why does it feel like the car pulls harder in M Mode? Is the throttle response really that fooling? Does M mode only occur in lower gears? It just "feels" like once M Mode is engaged that the car unleashes like ~30% more power. Even when cruising and I just hit M mode the car feels like I just opened the door to a caged beast.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Doesn't M mode (MDM) only affect the DSC and how the car handles slips and throttle response and not power?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznboi319
I went to the Dyno the other day and I wanted to see if there was any power difference in M Mode and Non M mode. I was very surprised to find out there was not any power difference. The power curves were nearly identical and the only difference was at the top end where M Mode peaked 8 HP higher. I think this was only due to the driver keeping the throttle to higher RPM. I kind of felt disappointed after finding this out. Why does it feel like the car pulls harder in M Mode? Is the throttle response really that fooling? Does M mode only occur in lower gears? It just "feels" like once M Mode is engaged that the car unleashes like ~30% more power. Even when cruising and I just hit M mode the car feels like I just opened the door to a caged beast.
What did you expect? It's obvious that M mode doesn't change the power of the engine. No where in the manual does it state that it does. BMW M has never stated that it does. No review has ever stated that it does. All you are able to alter about the power delivery, is the amount of throttle response.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
DATM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83
Quote:
What did you expect? It's obvious that M mode doesn't change the power of the engine. No where in the manual does it state that it does. BMW M has never stated that it does. No review has ever stated that it does. All you are able to alter about the power delivery, is the amount of throttle response.
I guess throttle response really does make you think like more power is present. I'm not saying that's what it says in any manual or reviews. I just "felt" like there was more power in M Mode so I wanted to see for myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

yes if you hold your foot down farther there is more power. works the same with any car. bmw just gives you a button to do what your foot can more rapidly at any given throttle opening.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I guess throttle response really does make you think like more power is present. I'm not saying that's what it says in any manual or reviews. I just "felt" like there was more power in M Mode so I wanted to see for myself.
If you read the manual, you wouldn't have needed to get it on a dyno.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

In this instance, while M mode didn't add any peak power, it did add some power/torque on the low end to 3200 rpm (bottom of article w/graphs).

http://www.eurotuner.com/techarticle...7/viewall.html
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Guess not everyone is smart like you and VERY few are as DOOOOOOOshie! Especially on Christmas... reallly??? Geesh...

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
DATM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yea, I guess I should also believe everything that I see on TV.

I was just trying to share an experience that your personal perception of "feel" is not quite the same as reality power wise. The purpose of my Dyno trip was not to find this out, but to see how much power I was putting out with the G-Power. I just wanted to test and see if it was any different in M Mode while I was there. Who wants to sit there and read a boring ass manual when you can go and see for yourself? In your argument you are basically saying that one should never test any doubts that they have and just read a book that some else wrote. Sounds like sheep to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznboi319 View Post

I was just trying to share an experience that your personal perception of "feel" is not quite the same as reality power wise. The purpose of my Dyno trip was not to find this out, but to see how much power I was putting out with the G-Power. I just wanted to test and see if it was any different in M Mode while I was there. Who wants to sit there and read a boring ass manual when you can go and see for yourself? In your argument you are basically saying that one should never test any doubts that they have and just read a book that some else wrote. Sounds like sheep to me.
comon sense should have been sufficient to test your theory.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #11
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Don't think the OP's hypothesis was unreasonable given the results from article in post #7 (from a reputable tuner no less).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
comon sense should have been sufficient to test your theory.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #12
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Just keep stomping on the throttle as hard as you can in hard quick jabs until you see daylight in the floor pan. Then there will be no limit on how far you can bury the throttle. Its called Super M Mode.

You'll get x100 hp...

Or you could...

or

Merry Christmas!
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

If your intention was to test your supercharger on the dyno then by all means. But why is it so difficult to read literature that comes with the product. You spend your hard earn money on something and you don't read to find out as much as possible about it, is just a little lazy. So many questions on this forum could have been very simply answered if the manual was read.

If you had originally posted that you were aware that in theory, the amount of power doesn't alter, but still feel that it does, and wanted to dyno to get a definitive answer, then that would be fine. But instead you posted your utter disappointment that the amount of power didn't change, which inevitably garners a "what did you expect" reply. Being genuinely unaware is one thing; being ignorant and then complaining is another.

Last edited by mlhj83; 12-25-2012 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #14
DATM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ok, sorry to share some information and to start a discussion. Myth Busters should have read a manual before they made a show about common misconceptions.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #15
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Are you saying that 8hp is attributed to M Mode? That's not a significant difference on ONE dyno to claim that the M Mode increases HP. Heat soak? Dyno operator? Could me many things.

I would have RTFM first before posting this...just a suggestion. Most here know what the POWER setting in M Mode does.

I personally think is garbage because it takes a sensitive throttle setting and then it makes it even more sensitive. The throttle setting is a waste.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #16
DATM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
No, I said that I think the 8 HP was due to the driver keeping the throttle to a higher RPM during M mode. Either way, it looks like nobody is willing to challenge the reasoning behind the "feel" of the increased power in M mode and accept all that is fed. I apologize for going against the norm .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Are you saying that 8hp is attributed to M Mode? That's not a significant difference on ONE dyno to claim that the M Mode increases HP. Heat soak? Dyno operator? Could me many things.

I would have RTFM first before posting this...just a suggestion. Most here know what the POWER setting in M Mode does.

I personally think is garbage because it takes a sensitive throttle setting and then it makes it even more sensitive. The throttle setting is a waste.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #17
EliteM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

OP, thanks for sharing what you found through your own dyno test. I for one appreciated it.

Every once in a while there are little things that make me go hmmm, and it was nice to have someone confirm and share an experience.

Ignore the rest of the folks here that have nothing better to do than make you feel bad for sharing.
      12-25-2012, 07:53 PM   #18
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
No, I said that I think the 8 HP was due to the driver keeping the throttle to a higher RPM during M mode. Either way, it looks like nobody is willing to challenge the reasoning behind the "feel" of the increased power in M mode and accept all that is fed. I apologize for going against the norm .
The FEEL of the increase power is from the electronic throttle being boosted. Like installing a sprint booster. If you searched...you'd see x100 threads on this.

You've told us nothing new.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 12:04 AM   #19
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Geez, tough crowd.

Throttle response versus input gives the impression observed as nearly everyone has explained.
      12-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #20
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

its kind of like having a loud exhaust. you swear your making more hp just because you hear more going on. it feels faster because your senses are fooled into it by other stimulus.

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #21
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Just keep stomping on the throttle as hard as you can in hard quick jabs until you see daylight in the floor pan. Then there will be no limit on how far you can bury the throttle. Its called Super M Mode.

You'll get x100 hp...

Or you could...

or

Merry Christmas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #22
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps

Appreciate 0