BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

07-09-2008, 03:17 PM   #23
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Has anybody experienced this issue w/ the non-premium system?
haven't seen anything on this forum, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
These sound system issues are just bizzar...
yeah, definitely. seems to be isolated around premium audio. another reason why i'm staying away (besides 1900 bucks!)

thanks for that mute, eject, mode trick. didn't know that.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 04:40 PM   #24
PatsE92
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Any update?

Don D and the boys at Moss have been very good to me with my current and past BMW's.
Hope they get it worked out for you!

Pat

p.s. I think you were the first M3 sedan I saw in LFT. We were stopped at the intersection of Ambassador and Verot and I gave you a thumbs up...
      07-09-2008, 06:13 PM   #25
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

If you have a camera that records video (most digital cameras record short vids now) I would keep it in the car so next time it happens you can record it and show it to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 07:51 PM   #26
arr0gant
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1996 911 Carrera Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag824 View Post
If you have a camera that records video (most digital cameras record short vids now) I would keep it in the car so next time it happens you can record it and show it to the dealer.
FTMFW!! --------^

1996 911 Carrera Cabriolet

2006 Porsche Cayman S, 2004 M3 Vert, 2008 BMW M3 Sedan, 2001 911 Turbo, 2002 Porsche 911 C4S, 2004 Cadillac CTS-V, Porsche Boxster S
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 09:52 PM   #27
IWearScrubs
Doctor Awesome!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Sedan 6MT Jerez and Fox Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta View Post
you should have tried to re-boot IDRIVE by holding down the "MUTE, EJECT, MODE" buttons at the same time for a couple of seconds...

I had my IDrive freeze up on me the other day and this fixed it and hasn't reoccured...
I am going to write that down and keep it in the car, just in case.

I also have premium audio, it may only be a matter of time...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 11:21 PM   #28
Manalope
Hello!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange M4, Ferrari 360

This happened to me also!!!

Just once, the very first week... I thought it was just a freak occurrence. I also have the premium sound package like everyone else is reporting.

It was just an EXTREMELY loud pop followed by a split second of what I imagine the screams of hell sound like.

Not static noise, but more of a really brief but EXTREMELY LOUD banshee scream... it scared the hell out of me badly. Then silence, then ~10-15 seconds later all back to normal and hasn't happened since.

My conditions were:

- Car had ~400 miles
- I was driving at freeway speeds doing nothing out of the ordinary
- I was listening to regular radio but it was picking up the HD signal intermittently (I'm pretty far from the station).
- I had my iPod plugged into the AUX and USB port but wasnt listening to it at the time
- The pop and scream came from the left side speakers
- Hasn't happened since, and I have no desire to try and make it happen again

Hope this helps a little. Let me know if anyone finds out anything :>

*edit* Don't let this sway you from the Premium Sound package... it sounds awesome.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 05:24 PM   #29
Rovman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 BMW 1M

Thanks for all of the feedback, comments, ideas, thoughts about the issue. From what I am reading I am not the only one. I will be printing out some of the other cases like mine to concrete the issue for the dealer service dep.

Pat, I agree, Dan is good people and geniunely (sp) want to make things good for his costumers. Unfortunaltly trying to get your car into the service department is a chore as they are slammed with service work and don't have the adaquate amount of technicians to handle all of thier work. I have had to wait 4 weeks to get my car in there before. Quite frustrating. All that said they are building a new HUGE shop specifically for BMW and this issue will be remedied soon.

I have to travel out of the country for about 3 weeks and Don allows me to drop off the car and leave it without an apointment. When they have time in between other service work he will fix the car. he has done this for me in the past and it is much appreciated.

So after next week we will see. I will keep you guys posted.
11' BMW 1M
15' Mercedes GL 350 (wife's daily)

Last edited by Rovman; 07-10-2008 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 09:19 PM   #30
Rovman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsE92 View Post
Any update?

Don D and the boys at Moss have been very good to me with my current and past BMW's.
Hope they get it worked out for you!

Pat

p.s. I think you were the first M3 sedan I saw in LFT. We were stopped at the intersection of Ambassador and Verot and I gave you a thumbs up...
I remember that, good to see other locals on the forum. perhaps we should get together one day, talk BMW shop. It is always good to meet other fellow enthusiasts.
11' BMW 1M
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 03:34 PM   #31
PatsE92
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovman View Post

I have to travel out of the country for about 3 weeks and Don allows me to drop off the car and leave it without an apointment. When they have time in between other service work he will fix the car. he has done this for me in the past and it is much appreciated.

Now this is scary, I do the same thing. Usually leave them the extra key at the dealer and $20 in the ashtray for airport parking. I'm gone about six months out of the year. South America mostly. Shoot me a PM. I'd love to get a closer look at your ride.

Pat
      07-11-2008, 03:51 PM   #32
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Sigh!!!! So it begins... Took a business trip to Houston today in my new 3700 mile E90 M3. I absolutely love the car but I don't think it likes me. Trip started out great. Had my iphone plugged in and was enjoying some good tunes when a loud POP came from the front speakers and the radio went silent. What seems like the amp shut down for about 20 to 30 seconds. This happened 2 more times before I got to my destination, once again while I was listening to the radio and once while I was talking on my phone that was paired to the car.

On my way home, it got even better. About 45 minutes out of Houston, once again I was enjoying some tunes on the radio when an extremely loud POP rang through the interior again. This time the radio never came back on, in fact the idrive screen locked up and became unresponsive. I drove for another 30 miles in silence trying to figure out WTF is going on with no luck. No matter what I tried, the idrive, radio, nav, climate control was unresponsive.

So there I was driving in my 64,000 dollar car with no radio, no nav, and an unresponsive idrive. Needless to say I was absolutly LIVID

Finally I decided to pull over and turn the car off/on in the hopes that this manuever would cure the ailment. NOPE!!!!! I stopped turn the car off 4 times. NOTHING.. Just the idrive main menu page would come up and nothing. No radio, nav, zero.

So I drive the rest of my 2 1/2 hour trip in silence , first 75, then 80, then 85, then, Well God Damn fast. I was so angry about the whole ordeal I just wanted the trip to end.

I got home, tried the off/on trick again. Once again no luck. I walked in the house dejected...

4 hours later I go back outside to move the car into the garage and all is back to normal!!!!!!

This does not make me happy, cause now that means I have an intermitent problem that of course, the dealer will never be able to replicate. Man I can see the repeated trips back and forth to the dealer now.

MOOOOOOOOSSSSSAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

OK I am better now. I just needed to vent to you guys and make everyone aware of my crazy M3 experience today. Man I love this car but I absolutly hate a car that gives problems. I just hope that this is an isolated incedent and the dealer will easily be able to diagnose and remedy.

If not , my days as a BMW M3 owner will be short lived.
I experienced similar problem, but not in my BMW. I used to have this pick-up truck, long time ago before earth was formed. I had bought an Alpine head unit, with an Alpine Amp (i forgot the Watts), with an Kenwood speakers. I was driving down the HWY when I experienced a loud pop when I hit the volume up. I ducked down thinking someone is shooting (since I live in Los angeles, it is typical). Later on, talking to my friend about it, he explained, that these speakers will not handle so much power that the head unit is putting out. So, that can be part of the problem you are experiencing. But it doesn't explain about the Nav.
Eli
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #33
The Shiekh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

No offense but I am kinda happy I did not get the premium sound

2008 E92 M3 6MT SSII/Silver Novillo/Sycamore
BPU+ lol
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 08:20 PM   #34
RDM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M4 Comp xDrive

Garage List
I have the premium audio too it also had the pop sound but only when i was on Sat. radio and it stopped now
      07-16-2008, 09:54 AM   #35
BMWNA
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Sigh!!!! So it begins... Took a business trip to Houston today in my new 3700 mile E90 M3. I absolutely love the car but I don't think it likes me. Trip started out great. Had my iphone plugged in and was enjoying some good tunes when a loud POP came from the front speakers and the radio went silent. What seems like the amp shut down for about 20 to 30 seconds. This happened 2 more times before I got to my destination, once again while I was listening to the radio and once while I was talking on my phone that was paired to the car.

On my way home, it got even better. About 45 minutes out of Houston, once again I was enjoying some tunes on the radio when an extremely loud POP rang through the interior again. This time the radio never came back on, in fact the idrive screen locked up and became unresponsive. I drove for another 30 miles in silence trying to figure out WTF is going on with no luck. No matter what I tried, the idrive, radio, nav, climate control was unresponsive.

So there I was driving in my 64,000 dollar car with no radio, no nav, and an unresponsive idrive. Needless to say I was absolutly LIVID

Finally I decided to pull over and turn the car off/on in the hopes that this manuever would cure the ailment. NOPE!!!!! I stopped turn the car off 4 times. NOTHING.. Just the idrive main menu page would come up and nothing. No radio, nav, zero.

So I drive the rest of my 2 1/2 hour trip in silence , first 75, then 80, then 85, then, Well God Damn fast. I was so angry about the whole ordeal I just wanted the trip to end.

I got home, tried the off/on trick again. Once again no luck. I walked in the house dejected...

4 hours later I go back outside to move the car into the garage and all is back to normal!!!!!!

This does not make me happy, cause now that means I have an intermitent problem that of course, the dealer will never be able to replicate. Man I can see the repeated trips back and forth to the dealer now.

OK I am better now. I just needed to vent to you guys and make everyone aware of my crazy M3 experience today. Man I love this car but I absolutly hate a car that gives problems. I just hope that this is an isolated incedent and the dealer will easily be able to diagnose and remedy.

If not , my days as a BMW M3 owner will be short lived.
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch to discuss this with you.
      07-16-2008, 10:09 AM   #36
gadget
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW NA Customer Relations View Post
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch to discuss this with you.

Wow- glad to see BMW actually taking action on what is discussed on these threads-
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 10:47 AM   #37
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Sorry but which are the MUTE, EJECT, MODE buttons?

Are these on the main dash or on the steering wheel?

As you say buttons, do you hold down multiple buttons or just one button?

Please clarify. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 11:26 PM   #38
Rovman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Wow!!! Impressed!!! Thank You BMW of NA.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW NA Customer Relations View Post
Wow!!!!! This is absolutely legitimate and real. I was contacted by a BMW of NA Rep. today for follow up on my ordeal with the idrive/radio/nav/CC issue.

The BMW of NA rep. was very professional, listened to everything I had to say, and was genuinely concerned about my problem with my M3. The Rep. informed me that she was opening up a case concerning the issue's with my car and BMW will be actioning on it soon.

FYI, to everyone else that has been experiencing these issues with their Premium audio optioned M3's, I did not forget you. I mentioned to her that there are many others within my thread and within the forum that are dealing with the same issue as I am. The Rep. informed me that she is aware of the other cases and that BMW of NA has taken notice as well. From what I gathered these issues will be brought to an engineering panel that will start to investigate our findings.

For all of us this is very good news, and I have to say that I am very impressed with how this is being handled by BMW of NA. It goes to show you how powerful of a tool an enthusiast forum like M3post can be. It also proves that not only the enthusiast end user benefits from forums like this but the Manufacturer can benefit as well.

I frequent MANY different automobile forums, most cars that I have owned and many that I aspire to own one day, and I have never seen a Rep. of the manufacturer stick their neck out and action like this.

Thank You BMW of NA.... Looks like we are headed in the right direction.
11' BMW 1M
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 12:04 AM   #39
Rovman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update....

Quote:
Wow!!!!! This is absolutely legitimate and real. I was contacted by a BMW of NA Rep. today for follow up on my ordeal with the idrive/radio/nav/CC issue.

The BMW of NA rep. was very professional, listened to everything I had to say, and was genuinely concerned about my problem with my M3. The Rep. informed me that she was opening up a case concerning the issue's with my car and BMW will be actioning on it soon.

FYI, to everyone else that has been experiencing these issues with their Premium audio optioned M3's, I did not forget you. I mentioned to her that there are many others within my thread and within the forum that are dealing with the same issue as I am. The Rep. informed me that she is aware of the other cases and that BMW of NA has taken notice as well. From what I gathered these issues will be brought to an engineering panel that will start to investigate our findings.

For all of us this is very good news, and I have to say that I am very impressed with how this is being handled by BMW of NA. It goes to show you how powerful of a tool an enthusiast forum like M3post can be. It also proves that not only the enthusiast end user benefits from forums like this but the Manufacturer can benefit as well.

I frequent MANY different automobile forums, most cars that I have owned and many that I aspire to own one day, and I have never seen a Rep. of the manufacturer stick their neck out and action like this.

Thank You BMW of NA.... Looks like we are headed in the right direction.
I recieved an e-mail today from BMW of NA letting me know that my case has been filed and that they have contacted my local dealer to start the process. So far things are moving forward.

I will keep everyone updated as things develop.
11' BMW 1M
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 05:14 AM   #40
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
MONSTA

How do you re-set idrive? Please can you explain, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 09:28 PM   #41
Rovman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hmm, No new news or updates since the 18th. BMW of NA????
11' BMW 1M
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 11:41 PM   #42
Rovman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update: I just needed to be patient.
BMW of NA have helped and got my car into my local dealer to be checked out concerning the popping noise and idrive issue. I may have some news in a few days. To be honest, I don't expect much unless they can re-create the problem again while the car is in their possesion. I have only had it happen to me one more time since the idrive total melt down incedent. One can only hope though.

Once again, Thanks BMW of NA for helping.
11' BMW 1M
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 11:48 PM   #43
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

make music with the exhaust. you bought a m3 not a lexus.... but bmw reliability is... at best
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 12:11 AM   #44
Rovman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
make music with the exhaust. you bought a m3 not a lexus....
All it takes is one smart arse to ruin a thread. Hey Bud, why don't you read the thread before commenting.

We all know what we bought, and what they are designed to do. But when you spend 60 to 70k on a vehicle that has a few problems, some of us would like solutions. Fortunatly forums like this exist and with USEFUL participation can be helpful.

This is a prime example. I posted about a problem I experienced with my car. Turns out others with cars optioned like mine are having the same issue. BMW of NA have taken notice by frequenting the forum and have actioned by contacting people like me who are experiencing these issues. The findings from the dealer visits will be reverted back to BMW of NA and if we are lucky, a permanent solution will be engineered and implemented.

So please, I repeat, try not to taint this beautiful process with your shallow remarks and go post some where else. A Lexus forum may be a good start.

Apologies guys, not in a good mood tonight, been a rough day....
11' BMW 1M
Appreciate 0