BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

06-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

VIR with the M3, M5, M6 and 1M (Added Pics)

More details to come. I was paired with two pretty fast guys (one is on his seventh consecutive attendance for Advanced School the other was a club racer and I was the wannabe track junkie, we ran some quick laps and ended up passing other lead follow groups several times.

Brief Summary

Ambient Temps: 95F

M5: Overheated after some very hard laps, but really fun to drive.
M6: Least favorite, I'm convinced the car was trying to kill me Overheated twice.
M3: Flawless, with the DCT the car is unbelievable especially when learning a new course. It was my first time at VIR. I have a 6mt and I am really considering moving on after this to the DCT.

1M: Underwhelmed, really skittish (short wheel base, maybe?) It was hot, turbos were hot, got oil temps just above 270F, but something very familiar quickly came up. The torque diminished as the heat increased just like my old 335i. I'm sure the car is a monster in cooler temps, but for me the car won't due in summer months where 90F+ is the norm. The pull was like my old '07 335i Dinan Stage II. I was lucky enough to drive the M3 then the 1m then back to the M3. The M3 motor is a true gem and it's a real shame that the next M3 with be forced induction.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bubbles; 06-09-2011 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Must have been one hell of a weekend.

What if the M3 wasnt an option, would you take the 1M over the M5?
      06-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Bimmer View Post
Must have been one hell of a weekend.

What if the M3 wasnt an option, would you take the 1M over the M5?
It would me a tough choice but I may go for the M5.
      06-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
lve2xlr8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thanks for the loglines, always wondered how the 1m would do with heatsoak. More time will tell, hopefully there is some hard data in the heat soon (dynos laptimes etc.) I suspect this issue is really going to show when people start upping the boost. On the m5/6 can you elaborate, did the transmissions overheat or was it the oil temp, did the cars go into limp mode?

Glad to see you liked the DCT, you really fall in love with it when you can ring it out. PUN!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Super Duty

VIR is a fun place for the m3 dct. Uphill esses are fun huh?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Totally subscribed for more updates!
      06-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lve2xlr8 View Post
Thanks for the loglines, always wondered how the 1m would do with heatsoak. More time will tell, hopefully there is some hard data in the heat soon (dynos laptimes etc.) I suspect this issue is really going to show when people start upping the boost. On the m5/6 can you elaborate, did the transmissions overheat or was it the oil temp, did the cars go into limp mode?

Glad to see you liked the DCT, you really fall in love with it when you can ring it out. PUN!
The ambient temps were brutal on the M5, it would switch into auto mode.
So it must have been the tranny fluid. An easy cool down lap got us back in running. We started short shifting and running a momentum game.

VIR is a perfect place to run the DCT. It was my first time there so It allowed me to focus on other things.
      06-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
VIR is a fun place for the m3 dct. Uphill esses are fun huh?
Fun, got caught in a potentially serious tank slapper coming off way too hot before the hill. With a lot of luck and some technique I was able to straighten the car out. Phew!!!

Last edited by Bubbles; 06-09-2011 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #9
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Super Duty

It is a fun track. The M3 is a blast around there. What sort of times were you running if you had to guess? I know you were out for fun, just wondering as you hear tons of different times for the E9X depending on driver skill.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 11:55 PM   #10
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

That is strange M5 and M6 are pretty identical except for the fact that M6 has lower center of gravity and less mass. Yet you found it less fun then the M5. Also, it over heated more having the same engine. I am just a bit puzzled

I thought from all accounts M6 is slightly better of the two on track by other sources and even according to BMW.

Are you sure owning an M3 coupe is not causing you to be a bit bias towards all other coupes on your drive except for a sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
M6: Least favorite, I'm convinced the car was trying to kill me Overheated twice.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 12:32 AM   #11
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

I can barely wait until December now.

"Seventh consecutive attendance"?!

I now officially label myself a "hack". Two 2-Day M Schools and the Nordschleife, still a "hack". I'm going to get a big magnetic "H" and put it on the back of the car.

I'm still going to have fun though!
      06-09-2011, 01:06 AM   #12
tibookM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25, F86, G01

I had a chance to run the 1M early in the day on the patriot course. The torque made it a lot of fun to drive, and it was really easy to navigate the course. Shifting gears was fun to experience after all the SMG/DCT cars. It was a lot of fun for me. With that said, the M3 was quicker, sounded better (that performance exhaust!!) and was more fun running the course. Especially out of the corkscrew...

The M3 is a track star. DCT really gives you everything out of that motor. By the afternoon I managed to get the High Temp warning, but it held up well, it didn't take much to keep the temp manageable. It feels so good, so well composed...and that engine revs so well...I've come to the conclusion that you will never appreciate an M3 until you've had it on the track. Its not going to be the best street light racer, but it really shines when you get it on the track.

The M5/M6 is more of a handful. Its a beautiful thing letting those two run on the back straight, they pull like a freight train all the way through 145+. The M6 is definitely the more nimble of the two, I've always thought it drove smaller than its size seems to dictate. In the afternoon run with Tom Long, I would get the High Temp warning every time at the top of the hill on the back straight. We ran a gear higher through the roller coaster and horseshoe/nascar bend to keep the temps manageable. That was a fun run with those guys...

I had an M5 or M6 (don't remember) kick into a 'limp mode' on me after a hard run with Matt Mullins, basically it takes over shifting from you for a bit...

Its been hot there all week, and those cars were ran hard all day long. I think they held up pretty well for being bone stock.

Patriot course was a blast with the M3. Basically it was like skating on the edge of grip the entire course. Getting through the corkscrew/bitch well was very rewarding. I felt real good through the spiral and the last corner before the paddock. Also really enjoyed the Bitch.

I'd say my favorite parts of the full course were the Hog Pen, Nascar Bend, Left Hook, and probably the Snake. Though South Bend would get exciting sometimes. I think I drifted that once lol. I've been behind someone who completely cut one of the uphill esses, and another who kicked up enough dirt with me right behind him that I got a little in the dirt as well. South Bend is very exciting when that happens!

Other thoughts...

M3 gets a little light footed at the end of the back straight, the M5/M6 felt better there. On the front straight, I actually liked the M3 better, though the M5/M6 pulled harder and made the apex very important. If you don't hit that correctly running full tilt, the car is going to push out towards that grassy field in a hurry...

Never got a great feel for the horseshoe...Matt took us for a ride and he approaches it a couple different ways. I think he mentioned how he always seems to do it a little different each time.

I always gained on the left hook, that compromise corner is fun to dive into...

Food was decent...I actually like the Performance Center food better :-)

The Villas are awesome...

Beautiful area, well maintained course. I think I could run every day for a week and not lose one bit of interest. Its an exciting course to run. Had a great time.

I think I have some pictures, I'll try to upload a few.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 05:18 AM   #13
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

*envious* !
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 07:13 AM   #14
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Brief Summary

Ambient Temps: 95F

M3: Flawless, with the DCT the car is unbelievable especially when learning a new course. I have a ^mt and I am really considering moving on after this.

1M: Underwhelmed, really skittish (short wheel base, maybe?) It was hot, turbos were hot, got oil temps just above 270F, but something very familiar quickly came up. The torque diminished as the heat increased just like my old 335i. I'm sure the car is a monster in cooler temps, but for me the car won't due in summer months where 90F+ is the norm. The pull was like my old '07 335i Dinan Stage II. I was lucky enough to drive the M3 then the 1m then back to the M3. The M3 motor is a true gem and its a real shame that the next M3 with be forced induction.
THIS is exactly what I would've expected!

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 08:05 AM   #15
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
That is strange M5 and M6 are pretty identical except for the fact that M6 has lower center of gravity and less mass. Yet you found it less fun then the M5. Also, it over heated more having the same engine. I am just a bit puzzled

I thought from all accounts M6 is slightly better of the two on track by other sources and even according to BMW.

Are you sure owning an M3 coupe is not causing you to be a bit bias towards all other coupes on your drive except for a sedan.

I don't understand why, but it seemed to be the general consensus in my run group. The M6 just felt off and I didn't like the limited viewing area from the cabin.

Weird thing is the M5 shifted so much smoother than the M6, with the same settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Rakete View Post
I can barely wait until December now.

"Seventh consecutive attendance"?!

I now officially label myself a "hack". Two 2-Day M Schools and the Nordschleife, still a "hack". I'm going to get a big magnetic "H" and put it on the back of the car.

I'm still going to have fun though!
You'll have a blast, I may be back for round two in December. The program BMW put on was a class act. Highly recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibookM3 View Post
I had a chance to run the 1M early in the day on the patriot course. The torque made it a lot of fun to drive, and it was really easy to navigate the course. Shifting gears was fun to experience after all the SMG/DCT cars. It was a lot of fun for me. With that said, the M3 was quicker, sounded better (that performance exhaust!!) and was more fun running the course. Especially out of the corkscrew...

The M3 is a track star. DCT really gives you everything out of that motor. By the afternoon I managed to get the High Temp warning, but it held up well, it didn't take much to keep the temp manageable. It feels so good, so well composed...and that engine revs so well...I've come to the conclusion that you will never appreciate an M3 until you've had it on the track. Its not going to be the best street light racer, but it really shines when you get it on the track.

The M5/M6 is more of a handful. Its a beautiful thing letting those two run on the back straight, they pull like a freight train all the way through 145+. The M6 is definitely the more nimble of the two, I've always thought it drove smaller than its size seems to dictate. In the afternoon run with Tom Long, I would get the High Temp warning every time at the top of the hill on the back straight. We ran a gear higher through the roller coaster and horseshoe/nascar bend to keep the temps manageable. That was a fun run with those guys...

I had an M5 or M6 (don't remember) kick into a 'limp mode' on me after a hard run with Matt Mullins, basically it takes over shifting from you for a bit...

Its been hot there all week, and those cars were ran hard all day long. I think they held up pretty well for being bone stock.

Patriot course was a blast with the M3. Basically it was like skating on the edge of grip the entire course. Getting through the corkscrew/bitch well was very rewarding. I felt real good through the spiral and the last corner before the paddock. Also really enjoyed the Bitch.

I'd say my favorite parts of the full course were the Hog Pen, Nascar Bend, Left Hook, and probably the Snake. Though South Bend would get exciting sometimes. I think I drifted that once lol. I've been behind someone who completely cut one of the uphill esses, and another who kicked up enough dirt with me right behind him that I got a little in the dirt as well. South Bend is very exciting when that happens!

Other thoughts...

M3 gets a little light footed at the end of the back straight, the M5/M6 felt better there. On the front straight, I actually liked the M3 better, though the M5/M6 pulled harder and made the apex very important. If you don't hit that correctly running full tilt, the car is going to push out towards that grassy field in a hurry...

Never got a great feel for the horseshoe...Matt took us for a ride and he approaches it a couple different ways. I think he mentioned how he always seems to do it a little different each time.

I always gained on the left hook, that compromise corner is fun to dive into...

Food was decent...I actually like the Performance Center food better :-)

The Villas are awesome...

Beautiful area, well maintained course. I think I could run every day for a week and not lose one bit of interest. Its an exciting course to run. Had a great time.

I think I have some pictures, I'll try to upload a few.

Well put J, you were moving out there! I think the track bug has bit ya!
      06-09-2011, 08:07 AM   #16
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
THIS is exactly what I would've expected!
That florida heat & humidity won't play nice with the turbos.
      06-09-2011, 08:11 AM   #17
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

I love these REAL world threads.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #18
mpm3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

Garage List
2007 BMW M coupe  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
in for updates
      06-09-2011, 08:35 AM   #19
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
It is a fun track. The M3 is a blast around there. What sort of times were you running if you had to guess? I know you were out for fun, just wondering as you hear tons of different times for the E9X depending on driver skill.
The instructors were paying attention to driving skill and experience and starting day two they had reformed the groups to line up. Kudos to the instructors, reforming the groups kept things very fun and safe. "Hot laps" were true hot laps and the instructors pushed us to the max.

I have an idea, but I'll wait for the DVD from BMW. I don't want to create drama here. My group was very fast, there wasn't much chatter other than "we'll pass this group on the next straight" and "we are running too tight, let's spread it out some".

Last edited by Bubbles; 06-09-2011 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 09:22 AM   #20
tibookM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25, F86, G01

Quote:

You'll have a blast, I may be back for round two in December. The program BMW put on was a class act. Highly recommended.

Well put J, you were moving out there! I think the track bug has bit ya!
Let me know, I'm confident I'll go back in December as well. And maybe in your neck of the woods early next year

The afternoon session was great. They put me in with the red group, and Tom lead us around. We had to spread apart some to get some air, and drove a few of the corners in a higher gear to keep the revs low (again for heat). I think the uphill esses is where we all were trying to improve, Tom uses EVERY inch of those rumble strips and that V10 will pull all the way requiring a VERY precise negotiation through...

I just wish I had arrived the night before instead of 2am and had some sleep for that first day
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #21
besiktas
Ultimate Driver for the Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Definately M5, how many times you would get a chance to drive a car that can hit 200mph + straight out from factory. that car has intense acceleration in high speeds.

Quote:
It would me a tough choice but I may go for the M5.

BMW M3 E92 - Silverstone II
BPM Sport Stage II Tune + Test Pipes, GTS DCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 10:09 AM   #22
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibookM3 View Post
Let me know, I'm confident I'll go back in December as well. And maybe in your neck of the woods early next year

The afternoon session was great. They put me in with the red group, and Tom lead us around. We had to spread apart some to get some air, and drove a few of the corners in a higher gear to keep the revs low (again for heat). I think the uphill esses is where we all were trying to improve, Tom uses EVERY inch of those rumble strips and that V10 will pull all the way requiring a VERY precise negotiation through...

I just wish I had arrived the night before instead of 2am and had some sleep for that first day

Great, I was happy to hear they moved you into a faster group. Sleep is key, no doubt.