BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
nivek311
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW e90 M3

Lossless audio—going back to CD's

The HK in the M3 is much too nice to waste on .mp3's. Especially the garbage that Apple is trying to sell through the iTunes store. They promote their audio to be sampled at 256kbps, but it sounds even worse than that.

After trying to work with the iPod, even ripping music at 320kbps, it's time to move back to lossless audio. I've been listening to CD's lately and it's noticeably much better. High's are tighter and more succinct, and bass is stronger and deeper.

Wish there was a better solution for lossless with an iPod or other mobile device. .flac is probably the best alternative for now but even then it's a pain to work with the files.

Any one have a similar experience?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
djseto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

I use ALAC which is apples lossless codec. I'm quite happy with it and I'm definitely an audio snob. More importantly, it works with the apple ecosystem if that's your thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
zibawal
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5D

How about if you transfer your cd directly into hard drive, is it as mp3 or lossless(wave)?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
I thought the head unit and ipod can read wav files?
You can use wav, since it's uncompressed.

I really doubt you can hear a difference between 320Kbps mp3s and uncompressed audio
If your testing is you knowing which format you're playing, then your ears/brain are playing tricks on you

The only really (scientific) way to do this
Is to do an ABX test
With A being one of the formats, B being the other, and X being one of the formats again
Then someone else plays the songs for you (so you don't know which format is playing, meaning the only way to find out is using your ears)
And you write down which one you think is better
Do this about 10 times
If you consistently pick the uncompressed sample, then you are right

I'd put $20 that you won't be able to pick the uncompressed sample
This test has been done countless times, 320 is good enough that our ears can't tell the difference. That's not my opinion, that's been proven
Not being an asshole, just stating facts
      10-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

I use lossless wave in the M, streaming from the iphone. I convert the FLAC file with (i forgot what i use, but can edit when I get home) and out comes the lossless wave. Works like a charm, but is a big file.
      10-22-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
zibawal
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5D

Please do update, I shall love to hear how can u use wave/ flac useless?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
nivek311
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW e90 M3

You should try it sometime. Do a test between an actual CD and an .mp3 at 320. Same song, etc. You'll hear the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post

I really doubt you can hear a difference between 320Kbps mp3s and uncompressed audio
If your testing is you knowing which format you're playing, then your ears/brain are playing tricks on you

Is to do an ABX test
With A being one of the formats, B being the other, and X being one of the formats again
Then someone else plays the songs for you (so you don't know which format is playing, meaning the only way to find out is using your ears)
Do this about 10 times

This test has been done countless times, 320 is good enough that our ears can't tell the difference. That's not my opinion, that's been proven
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #8
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivek311
You should try it sometime. Do a test between an actual CD and an .mp3 at 320. Same song, etc. You'll hear the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post

Is to do an ABX test
Do this about 10 times

If you know what to listen for you can almost always not only hear the difference but also point it out.

Compression artifacts are very minor @320 but they are definitely present. Think of it this way. Alac typically is in the 7-900kbps range, which means 320 has literally less than half the information. Some of that is going to be audible.
Appreciate 0