BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

10-21-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
m3doc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

2009 M3 price

Hello
Found a new 2009 that I'm interested in, details as follows
Alpine White
Carbon fiber Roof
Black Novillo Leather
Cold Weather Package
Tech Package
Premium Package
19' wheels
M DCT
Sat radio
Enhanced Premium Sound

MSRP at dealer is $73,245

This is exactly the vehicle I want with the options I want. It's a 2009 so I'm hoping I'll be able to capitalize on the 0.9% financing BMW is offering on leftover 2009s. Since this is a 2009, I think the dealer may help me out a bit on the price to get it off his lot, but how low should I go. What is a good price to offer on this car? I don't want to lose this one, so I don't want to jerk the dealer around on the price, but I don't want to be taken either.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
mphatic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3 SG & FR

Keeping in mind that you say you don't want to lose it, which is a difficult starting point for really effective negotiation; I would first try to find a similar car i.e one you want almost as much and negotiate off each other but failing that offer a firm $1,000 to $1,200 over invoice-that's not being a hardass on a leftover. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 11:43 PM   #3
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
$65k
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 12:07 AM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphatic View Post
Keeping in mind that you say you don't want to lose it, which is a difficult starting point for really effective negotiation; I would first try to find a similar car i.e one you want almost as much and negotiate off each other but failing that offer a firm $1,000 to $1,200 over invoice-that's not being a hardass on a leftover. Good luck!
Excellent advice.

Since the OP didn't mention it I'm assuming our don't know know about the pricing section here or Edmunds. OP, do yourself a favor and at least price it out on Edmunds. (Hint hint)
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
m3doc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Finn
And everyone else... thanks a lot for the advice. I'm a little new to this and edmunds was a pretty valuable resource. I spoke with the dealer today, and it turns out the car is a demo model with about 2200 miles on it. It still qualifies for the 0.9% financing, but I wanted to know if this would make anyone balk, and if not, how does this impact what I should offer?

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

It is almost end of the year so you should be able to get a lot of discounts. Just be tough and don't show that you really like the car. Tell them that you are only 50% on board unless the price is right. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
ocgasman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

demo changes everything. first, think hard if you want a demo as it prob wasn't broken in properly. will this affect the vehicle? maybe, maybe not. It def will affect price. I know i could have gotten a brand new 09 for $500 over invoice, but decided to order a '10. I hear there's also some trunk money on 09's so you should get this vehicle for way below invoice. Research hard on prices people are receiving on demo 09's and be prepared to walk. Don't fall in love with this one vehicle. HTH and good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
mphatic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3doc View Post
Finn
And everyone else... thanks a lot for the advice. I'm a little new to this and edmunds was a pretty valuable resource. I spoke with the dealer today, and it turns out the car is a demo model with about 2200 miles on it. It still qualifies for the 0.9% financing, but I wanted to know if this would make anyone balk, and if not, how does this impact what I should offer?

Thanks again
That makes a significant difference; did the dealer hold back that info or did you just not realize it? You need to find out when the car was "punched" (put in service) so you know how much warranty and free maintenance you lost. There's also the issue (widely debated previously) about the extent to which demo's are driven hard or abused and whether that is something you're comfortable with. How long do you plan to keep the car? These factors reduce value and the ease with which the dealer can sell the car so I would use them to negotiate a hardball price below invoice.

People can chime in with exact numbers but it's my opinion that it is a used car and is no longer worth what the dealer paid for it and, by the way, he got the benefit of that depreciation by using it to sell other M3's well over invoice. Good luck with the negotiation but you need to be able to walk away from this car if you don't get what you want. There will be other demos and leftovers coming available and you won't get the best price unless you are willing to walk away.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #9
mphatic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocgasman View Post
demo changes everything. first, think hard if you want a demo as it prob wasn't broken in properly. will this affect the vehicle? maybe, maybe not. It def will affect price. I know i could have gotten a brand new 09 for $500 over invoice, but decided to order a '10. I hear there's also some trunk money on 09's so you should get this vehicle for way below invoice. Research hard on prices people are receiving on demo 09's and be prepared to walk. Don't fall in love with this one vehicle. HTH and good luck.
You must have typed faster or I'm too long-winded
Appreciate 0