Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > UK

03-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
Flapps
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 Vert, Silverstone II DCT.

Paint repair recommendations

It had to happen after driving around but I've managed to acquire a few stone chips to the front spoiler and bonnet, as well as a rather nice scratch from bumper to wheel arch thanks to some oxygen thief in a car park in Milton keynes.

I dont want to pay BMW prices to get these chips and scratches resprayed/repaired. Does or indeed has anyone used any of these mobile repairers or can anyone recommend who to use? or alternatively who not to use?

Flapps
      03-26-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
hugehead
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
In my experience its best done by a bodyshop rather than the mobil on the spot repairers, unfortunately you only get what you've pay for my friend .
Bmw approved bodyshop carries a 3yr warranty on the repairs so its better in the long run as well, of cause you can use a none Bmw approved shop ...but just go to one thats is highly reccommended though ...doubts they will give you 3yrs warranty !!

also with Bmw approved repairs... will help yr car's residue when the time comes to say goodbye
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 05:23 AM   #3
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
gary at ital coachworks in wembley 0208 902 1211

top quality work
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

If these are small areas, why not have a go yourself? It is not difficult, it just takes time and the right prep. I scraped my car (1 inch - 2mm deep) when it was only 2 weeks old and went to a bodyshop. They told me what to buy and how to use it. The finish is almost invisible even to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
snawaz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
If these are small areas, why not have a go yourself? It is not difficult, it just takes time and the right prep. I scraped my car (1 inch - 2mm deep) when it was only 2 weeks old and went to a bodyshop. They told me what to buy and how to use it. The finish is almost invisible even to me.
Hi,

What did you use and how did you use it? would be really helpful if you shared this information.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 06:47 AM   #6
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by snawaz View Post
Hi,

What did you use and how did you use it? would be really helpful if you shared this information.

Thanks
3M rubbing stick, looks like a small round door stop. Small fine sanding dics for wet sand stick to the top of it, also by 3M.

3M polishing compounds

BMW paint sticks inc lacquer

masking tape

small artist brush

thinners

Mix up the paint and a very small amount of lacquer. Build up the chips in layes waiting for each to dry. Once slightly proud compared to rest of paint.
Mask off area and using water and a small amount of fairy liquid, wet flat the raised area until flush. You might neet to repaint if any pin holes etc. Polish until finish matches surrounded paintwork, then wax and finish with paint sealant. It's not difficult but takes time and patience.
Appreciate 0