BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

02-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
synclastica_86
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F32 435i, E92 M3, S550

Garage List
09 iDrive a step backwards?

I would most definitely agree that I like the 09 iDrive much more than the old one. It's much more user friendly, and I can get to where I want in the menu much more quickly. But technologically, I think that it's a step backwards. The new iDrive's knob is not dynamic - mean that it's just a simple input device. The old one, on the other hand, changes it's behavior depending on what screen you are in. I think that this can give the drive feed back without looking at the screen. I'm not trying to get in to an argument about driving safety and weather drivers can keep their eyes on the road more with the old iDrive, but I just think that the old one is more fancy and impressive. Why did bmw spend all the time and money to develop this technology and just drop it altogether instead of improving on it?

Current: BMW F32 435iA M-Sports; BMW E92 M3, M-DCT; Mercedes W221 S550 4matic; Ford Fiesta ST; Nissan Silvia S15 Spec-R
Retired: BMW E93 323iA; BMW E85 Z4 3.0i, SMG; Lexus IS 250 AWD; Lexus GX 470; Mercedes W203 C230 Sportscoupe; Peugeot 206 S16; Peugeot 206 RC
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

i had the old idrive on my previous car and overall i enjoyed it. It is a great system once you are comfortable with it. However the new one can be more easily accessed by those who are electronic dummies and housewives especially. My dad who is in his mid forties would definitely prefer the new one to the old. As he didnt even wanna touch anything when he was in my car cause he was so afraid to go into the rong menue and resetting everything. In his benz s class (the 04model) he can operate everything with ease. Same with a lot of the older guys i guess.
      02-24-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
maybe because they realize their customer base isnt comfortable with that and all they needed is a bunch of static buttons. certain engineering decisions are driven by sales/marketing.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Xoible View Post
maybe because they realize their customer base isnt comfortable with that and all they needed is a bunch of static buttons. certain engineering decisions are driven by sales/marketing.
Well put.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
The old main menu is definitely easier to navigate than the new menu, but the new system is so much faster than the old interface. If I have to choose between the two, I'd still pick the new system because of the faster operation and the ability to choose more contents in the split screen.
      02-24-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewarlover View Post
i had the old idrive on my previous car and overall i enjoyed it. It is a great system once you are comfortable with it. However the new one can be more easily accessed by those who are electronic dummies and housewives especially. My dad who is in his mid forties would definitely prefer the new one to the old. As he didnt even wanna touch anything when he was in my car cause he was so afraid to go into the rong menue and resetting everything. In his benz s class (the 04model) he can operate everything with ease. Same with a lot of the older guys i guess.
Are you saying mid-forties is "older guys" Jesus, are you 12? If so print your text and when you are 45 put it somewhere dark and "crappy"...sorry OT but jeez..."rong" starts with a w by the way.
      02-24-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

couldn't disagree more...the new system is so much better than the old system. better graphics, faster processing, and shortcut buttons to pull up common selections. I used to own a 335i with the old iDrive...the new system is in an entirely different league. i am surprised you feel that way.
      02-24-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
couldn't disagree more...the new system is so much better than the old system. better graphics, faster processing, and shortcut buttons to pull up common selections. I used to own a 335i with the old iDrive...the new system is in an entirely different league. i am surprised you feel that way.
he agrees with you, he specifically is talking about introducing static physical buttons that do one and only one thing in the new system vs. the dynamic nature of the old buttons that can perform different things based on the screen. In terms of technology and software development this is definitely a step backwards. In terms of usage, etc. maybe not.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 02:23 PM   #9
PrinceSmooth
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2012 BMW X6 M  [0.00]
i always like to go with the saying that newer is better.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 02:26 PM   #10
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

I've been using, and supporting, various user-interfaces for over ten years. I think the 2009 is superior in terms of controls and interface to the 2008. Just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 02:34 PM   #11
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
he agrees with you, he specifically is talking about introducing static physical buttons that do one and only one thing in the new system vs. the dynamic nature of the old buttons that can perform different things based on the screen. In terms of technology and software development this is definitely a step backwards. In terms of usage, etc. maybe not.
Actually, what you want in software development is to have the "simplest" software code possible that can perform as many different functions as possible without useless complexity. Having different functions depending on the screen is not the simplest code possible; that's a bug magnet when you try to change that code to do something slightly different in a different screen and a customer focus of complaints when the code is doing their "thing" and not what the customer naturally expects.

For me, the new iDrive is using a simple, unified code to instill familiarity and ease of navigating thru the menus. It should be easier and cheaper for BMW to maintain and update, and it should be easier for the customer to use and be satisfied without useless dealer visits.

I think that what is a really step backwards is the whole "Vehicle Order" code structure in BMWs, where the whole car has to be flashed if one module needs updating. That's where a bunch of complaints are coming from... one module is fixed while another not previously having issues now is not working properly.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 02:57 PM   #12
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Actually, what you want in software development is to have the "simplest" software code possible that can perform as many different functions as possible without useless complexity. Having different functions depending on the screen is not the simplest code possible; that's a bug magnet when you try to change that code to do something slightly different in a different screen and a customer focus of complaints when the code is doing their "thing" and not what the customer naturally expects.

For me, the new iDrive is using a simple, unified code to instill familiarity and ease of navigating thru the menus. It should be easier and cheaper for BMW to maintain and update, and it should be easier for the customer to use and be satisfied without useless dealer visits.

I think that what is a really step backwards is the whole "Vehicle Order" code structure in BMWs, where the whole car has to be flashed if one module needs updating. That's where a bunch of complaints are coming from... one module is fixed while another not previously having issues now is not working properly.
no, not at all. it's not about having simplest code otherwise we'd be stuck with VB6 which is simple but is a nightmare!

having a good code base to make everything configurable and promoting re-use heavily is the good practice. having dynamic buttons and controls promotes re-use.

in terms of HCI (human-computer interaction) simplicity and straightforward-ness is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 03:15 PM   #13
Rick
Stackin' Chips
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW M3 Coupe

Quote:
no, not at all. it's not about having simplest code otherwise we'd be stuck with VB6 which is simple but is a nightmare!

having a good code base to make everything configurable and promoting re-use heavily is the good practice. having dynamic buttons and controls promotes re-use.

in terms of HCI (human-computer interaction) simplicity and straightforward-ness is the way to go.
IT FTL.
      02-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #14
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:

That's what I meant for "simplest", a great -not just good- code source where the rest can be built upon and re-use with minimum changes. That where the dynamism should come from, not from different "pieces".

So multiple screens with individual functions maps is not simple, as you are mostly re-coding and not mostly reusing code.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #15
Canyon Junkie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

I'm 24. This is my first car with iDrive ('08).

I really dreaded having the system in the car since everyone has bitched and moaned about it for years.

What's the big deal? I personally like it. If you can use an iPod, you can use iDrive.
      02-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #16
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
IT FTL.
i wouldnt know man... ur IT, doesnt it really suck?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #17
youyou
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Junkie View Post
I'm 24. This is my first car with iDrive ('08).

I really dreaded having the system in the car since everyone has bitched and moaned about it for years.

What's the big deal? I personally like it. If you can use an iPod, you can use iDrive.
I definitely wouldn't mind having the New Idrive.
But I absolutely love my 08' Idrive as well...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 07:03 PM   #18
lincoln
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Melbourne Red Coupe - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewarlover View Post
When did mid-forties become "older guys" ... sigh. LOL.
      02-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #19
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
The 08 is fine but the 09 is much faster in loading times. I found the initial screen of the 08 to be easier, but the shortkeys in the 09 make it easier.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 07:33 PM   #20
tma1c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E93 6MT M3

I have the 08 version and its pretty good. But when I used the 09, it was much faster and the graphics are better. Hopefully someone figures out how to put the 09' navi setup in the 08 m3.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 10:16 PM   #21
msile
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
When did mid-forties become "older guys" ... sigh. LOL.
+1. I am in my early 40s, run technology for my company and prefer the 09 idrive
      02-24-2009, 10:33 PM   #22
Jerktown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3-DCT

I'm 32 and have been using computers and their various interfaces since I could barely walk - I was the kid programming the VCR and the Timex Sinclair when I was 7 or 8, and I wouldn't be where I am in my career if I didn't have an ease with clunky and/or downright awful interfaces.

The above isn't to brag, but to counterpoint the "electronic dummies and housewives" stuff before I say this: the '08 iDrive's interface is garbage. I test-drove it and then test-drove the '09 iDrive, and there's just no comparison. Since there were significantly better deals to be had on 08s, I really wanted to like the '08, and wanted to believe the people on forums like this one who were saying that the '08 was fine for non-edummies and non-housewives, but I did not find that to be true.

We sat down in the '08 and I asked the CA to show me what it takes to do what I consider to be a pretty routine task for a nav system: find the closest Best Buy and lock in a route to it. She eventually gave up. I took a crack at it, and after a bunch of pain, I think I was close, but we got kicked out of the car for another CA who needed it for a test drive. It was so ridiculously bad, at every step of the way - finding the right menu, finding the right place to enter the name of the store, finding the 'space' character, etc. It's far easier on my four-year-old piece-of-crap Garmin. It was also no problem at all in the '09. I don't really care about having the new shortcut buttons, but the new GUI makes a huge, huge difference.
Appreciate 0