BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

11-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

2014 Motortrend COTY: 2014 Cadillac CTS

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/..._cadillac_cts/

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

CTS is a great package. Deserving of the title.

CTS-V has good car to work from, should be amazing.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
CTS is a great package. Deserving of the title.

CTS-V has good car to work from, should be amazing.

If the base CTS is this good, how amazing is the CTS-V gonna be?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

i don't know. i like the xts, this one front is going to need some work for me to like it.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ventureshield View Post
i don't know. i like the xts, this one front is going to need some work for me to like it.
XTS needs to die in a fire. It's sole purpose is to sell to the DTS/Deville crowd. Something Cadillac needs to get away from.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
XTS needs to die in a fire. It's sole purpose is to sell to the DTS/Deville crowd. Something Cadillac needs to get away from.
noooooooooooo, that's gonna be my dad's new car soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Let's hope it does as well as the Chevy Volt, MT's 2011 Car of the Year. A Masterpiece!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ventureshield View Post
noooooooooooo, that's gonna be my dad's new car soon.
Your dad just proved my point.

Old people are more willing to buy cars that are biased towards young people than young people are willing to buy old people cars.

Old people are still buying the ATS, CTS, etc and everyone here is loving those vehicles too. That is what Cadillac needs to do. XTS can't die soon enough. Which it should when the Omega based Cadillac arrives.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 12:37 AM   #9
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

I would take a CTS V-sport over the CTS-V simply because I'm so excited about the ATS-V. It's even going to have quad exhaust pipes and shouldn't run more than $6x,000 fully loaded! I love where Cadillac is headed, really.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 05:37 AM   #10
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Your dad just proved my point.

Old people are more willing to buy cars that are biased towards young people than young people are willing to buy old people cars.

Old people are still buying the ATS, CTS, etc and everyone here is loving those vehicles too. That is what Cadillac needs to do. XTS can't die soon enough. Which it should when the Omega based Cadillac arrives.
So when you turn 65 and can afford a $120,000 car, are you going to buy a BMW 7-Series?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 05:38 AM   #11
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
Let's hope it does as well as the Chevy Volt, MT's 2011 Car of the Year. A Masterpiece!
What, you mean the best-selling extended-range electric vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #12
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So when you turn 65 and can afford a $120,000 car, are you going to buy a BMW 7-Series?
If I can afford it and I like it over the competition sure.

Point is the 7 series( or S Class) isn't seen as an old mans car. It's coveted by the younger people even though only old people tend to drive it( because they are the only ones that can afford it). Where the XTS/DTS/Avalon, etc are seen as old man cars and are not desirable to young people. They won't aspire to work hard and get to the point where they can buy them. Where they will for the 7 series. It's all about image.

It's much easier to get an old person to drive a car that is also desirable for younger people. But, if the younger people perceive a car to be for old people, they won't consider it.

Cadillac shouldn't be making a car like the XTS that only ponders to their old( no pun intended) customer base. Their new lineup with the ATS and CTS have satisfied both attracting the younger crowd while keeping the older crowd. That is what Cadillac should aim for. Here we are going and saying the ATS/-V and CTS/-V are/going to be great vehicles, etc. Where 10 years ago we would be automatically dismissing Caddy's as old man cars, junk, etc. And the older crowd are still buying them. When you can get the younger crowd and older crowd, that is when you're doing something right.

I do realize saying his father proved my point was wrong though.

Last edited by quagmire; 11-08-2013 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom View Post
I would take a CTS V-sport over the CTS-V simply because I'm so excited about the ATS-V. It's even going to have quad exhaust pipes and shouldn't run more than $6x,000 fully loaded! I love where Cadillac is headed, really.
ATS-V could go north of 500hp

http://www.egmcartech.com/2013/11/07...twin-turbo-v6/
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If I can afford it and I like it over the competition sure.

Point is the 7 series( or S Class) isn't seen as an old mans car. It's coveted by the younger people even though only old people tend to drive it( because they are the only ones that can afford it). Where the XTS/DTS/Avalon, etc are seen as old man cars and are not desirable to young people. They won't aspire to work hard and get to the point where they can buy them. Where they will for the 7 series. It's all about image.

It's much easier to get an old person to drive a car that is also desirable for younger people. But, if the younger people perceive a car to be for old people, they won't consider it.

Cadillac shouldn't be making a car like the XTS that only ponders to their old( no pun intended) customer base. Their new lineup with the ATS and CTS have satisfied both attracting the younger crowd while keeping the older crowd. That is what Cadillac should aim for. Here we are going and saying the ATS/-V and CTS/-V are/going to be great vehicles, etc. Where 10 years ago we would be automatically dismissing Caddy's as old man cars, junk, etc. And the older crowd are still buying them. When you can get the younger crowd and older crowd, that is when you're doing something right.

I do realize saying his father proved my point was wrong though.
Where is live on the East Coast I hardly see anyone under 60 driving a 7 Series or S Class unless they are a ball player or (wannabe) hip hop artist. The 7-Series and S-Class are designed and marketed for "old people". They are luxo-boats that drive nowhere near a proper sports sedan chassis should, which apparently is what "young" people (should) want. The XTS is not an old person's car any more than a CTS is; the design is modern and the chassis is well honed. It's not a 3-Series but neither is a 7-Series a 3-Series. 95% of 7-Series buyers would know a decent driving car if it fell on them and the XTS would drive just as well for those people, except it doesn’t have a Roundel on the hood. If Cadillac targeted the XTS only for "old people" they would not have just released a 410 HP twin-turbo V-6 model with Brembos and a magnetic suspension.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 11-08-2013 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 0