BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

08-26-2007, 06:42 AM   #1
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Subaru STI

I've been thinking a lot about the 1er lately, and decided that I'd pick one up next fall after the initial hype dies down, if the suspension turns out to be what I want (baby M, really). In the meantime, I wanted something more raw and edgy than my sweet-driving little VW GLI, so yesterday I picked up an '07 Subaru STI.

It's a neat car, for sure. As my wife said, "you certainly aren't paying for the interior" it's pretty nasty

But fun to drive. It feels like a car from the days of yesteryear, where DSC, traction control, etc etc didn't exist; driving it for the first time felt like a filter had been lifted between my inputs and the car's reactions. There's a lot of noise; tire noise, engine noise, wind noise, and the noise of 3 differentials and a whiny (sounds like a straight cut, lol!) gearbox. Instead of being a negative to me, this is a positive.

It's been awhile since I've owned my old Integra Type R, and I still kick myself for selling it. After awhile, I wanted something less raw, more refined; but once I had it, I missed that edgy and involving experience. This STI gets me back to that feeling. I don't think it's quite as stiff as my Type R was, or at least it rides better on the highway.

I have played with it (and the testdrive car) in corners, and it's an entirely odd experience to me. My previous RWD and FWD performance car skills simply don't apply, and I will have to re-learn how this AWD drivetrain likes to attack corners. It is nice to get back to a more rear-biased drivetrain, and the rear will step out if you want it to.

I think my wife summed up my feelings about this car pretty well:
"It's kinda ugly. And that WING! Are you 20 again? The interior is kinda plasticky. No sunroof? Let me turn on the stereo..."
<at this point I go deep into the throttle, and as the revs build frantically:>

"ooooooooh, yes... Honey, don't miss this turn. you have to TURN!"
<hard on the brakes to setup for the corner, hit full boost at the apex>

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Give me the keys! I'm driving it home."

I'm going to stick around, as I still plan on buying a 1er... If it turns out to be this fun. I sure hope it does.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 07:14 AM   #2
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Brake late in - power out early - ah the beauty of AWD!! You got a good car - congrats!!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 10:54 AM   #3
vinazzurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

http://www.cobbtuning.com/categories/?id=2208

:wink:
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #4
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati View Post
I've been thinking a lot about the 1er lately, and decided that I'd pick one up next fall after the initial hype dies down, if the suspension turns out to be what I want (baby M, really). In the meantime, I wanted something more raw and edgy than my sweet-driving little VW GLI, so yesterday I picked up an '07 Subaru STI.

It's a neat car, for sure. As my wife said, "you certainly aren't paying for the interior" it's pretty nasty

But fun to drive. It feels like a car from the days of yesteryear, where DSC, traction control, etc etc didn't exist; driving it for the first time felt like a filter had been lifted between my inputs and the car's reactions. There's a lot of noise; tire noise, engine noise, wind noise, and the noise of 3 differentials and a whiny (sounds like a straight cut, lol!) gearbox. Instead of being a negative to me, this is a positive.

It's been awhile since I've owned my old Integra Type R, and I still kick myself for selling it. After awhile, I wanted something less raw, more refined; but once I had it, I missed that edgy and involving experience. This STI gets me back to that feeling. I don't think it's quite as stiff as my Type R was, or at least it rides better on the highway.

I have played with it (and the testdrive car) in corners, and it's an entirely odd experience to me. My previous RWD and FWD performance car skills simply don't apply, and I will have to re-learn how this AWD drivetrain likes to attack corners. It is nice to get back to a more rear-biased drivetrain, and the rear will step out if you want it to.

I think my wife summed up my feelings about this car pretty well:
"It's kinda ugly. And that WING! Are you 20 again? The interior is kinda plasticky. No sunroof? Let me turn on the stereo..."
<at this point I go deep into the throttle, and as the revs build frantically:>

"ooooooooh, yes... Honey, don't miss this turn. you have to TURN!"
<hard on the brakes to setup for the corner, hit full boost at the apex>

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Give me the keys! I'm driving it home."

I'm going to stick around, as I still plan on buying a 1er... If it turns out to be this fun. I sure hope it does.
Holy crap man. I cant believe you did that. You got an STI to fill the gap! Thats a bit extreme. I would love to drive one of those. Its going to make transitioning over to the 1series THAT much harder. Have fun and enjoy it. :w00t:
      08-26-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Congrats! the sTi is a great car. Good move not getting the '08 too. It's grown up to be more like a Legacy, plusher, less raw, more refined; exactly what that car was not intended to be. Seems like the new one is suffering an identity crisis.

The Evo is taking that same route too. Kind of a shame.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 03:24 PM   #6
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

I've always loved the STi. You'll have a fun and reliable car to fill the gap between now and when the hype dies down for the 1. Be sure to have the latest reflash from the dealer to help with the throttle/hesitation issues that the 07's have. The accessport, even if stage one, should help further.

Regarding the 08 STi, nobody knows if it'll be toned down or not because Subaru hasn't released anything yet. The WRX's are, but some insiders think the STi will be pretty hardcore.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 06:53 PM   #7
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Thanks, fellas. I'm enjoying it, for sure. Maybe an extreme move, but fairly normal if ya know me

I know Cobb. A coworker of mine has a wicked tuned sleeper STI: a 2.5RS with the JDM 2.0 STI motor transplanted in. Lots of fun. I think he's salivating to get me to mod mine, because when I told him I bought one, about 4 names of tuners were discussed in the first 10 minutes, LOL.

I'm not sure about the reflash, I'll have to ask the dealer when I take it in for its first service.

I viewed this as "insurance." I have no idea how the 1er will drive, and who knows what the new EVO and STI will be like. This one I know I like... So I can drive it for a year, or two, and move on... Or keep on hammerin' with the giant black wing
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 08:09 PM   #8
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Congrats on the STi. Loved your initial post. Any pix?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 10:18 PM   #9
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Great choice. I've always preferred the STi because of its manual override center diff.
      08-27-2007, 12:31 AM   #10
vinazzurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati View Post

I know Cobb. A coworker of mine has a wicked tuned sleeper STI: a 2.5RS with the JDM 2.0 STI motor transplanted in. Lots of fun. I think he's salivating to get me to mod mine, because when I told him I bought one, about 4 names of tuners were discussed in the first 10 minutes, LOL.

I'm not sure about the reflash, I'll have to ask the dealer when I take it in for its first service.

The nice thing about the Cobb Accessport is that you can flash it back to a stock map, or uninstall the unit altogether (when you trade the car in, for instance).

My WRX was flashed with the Cobb Accessport, and my dealership never so much as said a word about it to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 10:04 AM   #11
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Intriguing... I downloaded the install pdf, what an interesting bit of technology. Very possible

I will have pics, fellas, but it will be a few weeks... I'm heading out for a vacation in a few days, and won't have time to shine 'er before I take off.

Not my photo... But it looks just like this one (except for the winter rims and tires on the photo'd car):

Appreciate 0