BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

04-15-2013, 02:19 AM   #221
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
At any rate, if you cant adjust your muffler tips even; just add a couple washers to whatever sides rubber mount bracket. It will take you less than 10 minutes with no jack needed. Remove two bolts, pull down on the bracket, add your washers and put it back. I had to ADD washers to mine for my Vorsteiner diffuser to fit.
that will help horizontally, but not really vertically.

My tips are single wall, but welded on, not riveted.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #222
M3Carbon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, AW/FRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw
Quote:
At any rate, if you cant adjust your muffler tips even; just add a couple washers to whatever sides rubber mount bracket. It will take you less than 10 minutes with no jack needed. Remove two bolts, pull down on the bracket, add your washers and put it back. I had to ADD washers to mine for my Vorsteiner diffuser to fit.
that will help horizontally, but not really vertically.

My tips are single wall, but welded on, not riveted.

Sorry kitw, I have to disagree. Adding washers to the passenger side mount primarily assists with vertical adjustment. Along with a slight driver's side bracket adjustment, adding washers completely leveled out my exhaust.

Glad the washer trick worked for you ILSMKU!

Instagram @m3carbon
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #223
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Strange...

My dual can single wall megan with the Ti tips does not hang as low as your guys at all. And my tips are much more flush to my bumper. My logo is also horizontal along the side of the exhaust tip. Not across the top of it.

I keep hearing talk of a rolled tip. But I always thought a rolled tip was a dual walled tip? No? Because the rolled tip one I have seen, still looks like a single wall tip to me? Or I cant tell in the pictures.

The rolled tips are dual wall, you have to look (or feel) inside to see it.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #224
kitw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Carbon View Post
Sorry kitw, I have to disagree. Adding washers to the passenger side mount primarily assists with vertical adjustment. Along with a slight driver's side bracket adjustment, adding washers completely leveled out my exhaust.

Glad the washer trick worked for you ILSMKU!
Ok, I will give it a shot. I can't see how it would help, though... Does it lower the passenger side by pushing the muffler away from the mount?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #225
kitw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
Ok, I will give it a shot. I can't see how it would help, though... Does it lower the passenger side by pushing the muffler away from the mount?
Oh duh, I am an idiot. You are saying between the body mounts and the hanger, to space it downwards, right?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #226
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Oh duh, I am an idiot. You are saying between the body mounts and the hanger, to space it downwards, right?
Yea. That should do the trick. I've quite a few pictures where the driver side hangs lower than the passenger, but it seems like that can be fixed with some adjustment. Looks good though!

Still running ACP TP's with OEM exhaust mod. Stupidly loud, but I'm starting to get used to it.

Hopefully will hear TP+Megan in real life soon
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #227
kitw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Yea. That should do the trick. I've quite a few pictures where the driver side hangs lower than the passenger, but it seems like that can be fixed with some adjustment. Looks good though!

Still running ACP TP's with OEM exhaust mod. Stupidly loud, but I'm starting to get used to it.

haha, it worked. Just in case anyone is as slow as I was, if you put washers between the rubber hanger on the passenger side to space it down, it mostly solves the unevenness. I'd say it's almost 100% now.

BTW, one thing I forgot to mention - the exhaust clamps Megan uses are complete crap. The nuts welded themselves to the bolts and I couldn't back them off, had to get out the die grinder with a cut off wheel, and replace them. Save yourself the trouble and buy a set of high quality exhaust clamps.

Note : the before picture from further away exaggerates the difference - I wasn't straight on and the shadows hurt, but you can see that the tips were uneven. I think they're pretty good now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #228
advans
Advansolosis
Rep
Drives: ///M+////AMG

Quote:
haha, it worked. Just in case anyone is as slow as I was, if you put washers between the rubber hanger on the passenger side to space it down, it mostly solves the unevenness. I'd say it's almost 100% now.

BTW, one thing I forgot to mention - the exhaust clamps Megan uses are complete crap. The nuts welded themselves to the bolts and I couldn't back them off, had to get out the die grinder with a cut off wheel, and replace them. Save yourself the trouble and buy a set of high quality exhaust clamps.

Note : the before picture from further away exaggerates the difference - I wasn't straight on and the shadows hurt, but you can see that the tips were uneven. I think they're pretty good now.
looks like it sits a little low...maybe a diffuser can help

2011 E90 M3, ESS VT2-650, 2015 GL550
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #229
M3Carbon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Looks like the washers did the trick. The before picture at the gas station definitely shows how low the driver's side was. Glad it worked out for you.

Instagram @m3carbon
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #230
toan414
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Installed Megan this past weekend. Awesome exhaust for the price.

My 2 cents. If you want to install Megan in your car,

1) go to Home depot and buy 4X M8 nuts. You need them to mount the side of the muffler to the car and use OEM hardware.

2) The passenger side was higher. We used about 3mm of spacers on that side and they are even.

3) the clamps hardware should be replace, one of my screw snapped while we were adjusting the tip's position. Replaced with oem hardware.

4) let it settle before final adjustments, it shifts as the exhaust warms up and cools, my driver side moved about 1/4" after a spirited drive after install. Exhaust still moves a bit depending on how warm it is
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #231
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post

This Saturday buddy
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #232
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:

Here's mine and they weren't even adjusted...

BTW, my tips are welded as well..

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #233
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
The guys with super low tips might have pushed the connecting pipes in to much. If you push the connecting pipes in to much, it will make the tips look low. The less you insert the connecting pipes, the less gap you will see.

Mine looks exactly like Dave's and I have the riveted version which I think is the very first design. So I think you guys need to fiddle with yours some more.
      04-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #234
M3amigos
HP addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E93 6MT

Has anyone modified a Megan exhaust to fit an E93? Interested to see if it would fit without removing the support brace.
      04-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #235
kitw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The guys with super low tips might have pushed the connecting pipes in to much. If you push the connecting pipes in to much, it will make the tips look low. The less you insert the connecting pipes, the less gap you will see.

Mine looks exactly like Dave's and I have the riveted version which I think is the very first design. So I think you guys need to fiddle with yours some more.
I'll give that a shot, thanks. I did just order a diffuser though, which may solve the problem a different way
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 12:34 AM   #236
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
I'll give that a shot, thanks. I did just order a diffuser though, which may solve the problem a different way
It looks real good with a diffuser. What one did you get? I had a vorstiener, but the dam thing keep coming off with the tape. Even vorsteiner couldn't get it to stay on. They even DREMELED it too! Worst experience ever with them.
      04-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #237
kitw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It looks real good with a diffuser. What one did you get? I had a vorstiener, but the dam thing keep coming off with the tape. Even vorsteiner couldn't get it to stay on. They even DREMELED it too! Worst experience ever with them.
Honestly, it must suck to make aero parts for any cars. The problem is that you HAVE to keep the point of entry high, to make sure you make at least SOME of your investment back... it's really expensive to make CF here vs in China/etc. The problem is that in order to justify a high price point, stuff has to fit perfectly and that is the first thing to go when people try to cut costs to get down to a more palatable price point. Definitely not a market I'd be interested in
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #238
M3Carbon
Captain
United_States
Rep

FYI, for those on a waiting list:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...7#post13839097

Edit: SOLD!!

Instagram @m3carbon
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #239
M3amigos
HP addict
United_States
Rep

So where did everyone end up ordering their megan exhaust from? What is the going rate?
      04-20-2013, 02:32 AM   #240
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT

Planning on installing the BMS Downpipe fix (temp) for now since I'm planning on getting BPM tune soon, does anyone know if I have to unplug my battery while installing the fix?
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, AKRA XPIPE, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #241
M3amigos
HP addict
United_States
Rep

Don't have any experience with it, but its usually always safer to unplug the battery when working on the electrical systems. If you plan on getting the tune soon, you could just run with the CEL on for the time being, it wouldn't cause any issues, it may only just mask any real CELs.
      04-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #242
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntmn View Post
Planning on installing the BMS Downpipe fix (temp) for now since I'm planning on getting BPM tune soon, does anyone know if I have to unplug my battery while installing the fix?
I'm just going to deal with the CEL for a month until I get a stage 2 tune. Its not a big deal for me at all> the added sound and performance greatly out weight a small light on the gauge cluster. Test pipes have been the best mod so far. With Megan and Macht Schnell Stage 2 intake the car sounds like an animal when you get on it.
Appreciate 0