BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-15-2011, 12:33 AM   #1
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: `16 MW F80 M3

is it bad to..

hey guys i have a DCT and on hills or slightly uneven roads when i am at a red light i let off the brake because on level roads it doesnt lurch forward.. but when i am on a hill the car rolls back.. is this okay for the car? any extra wear on the parts if i let go of the brakes and let the car roll back and hit the gas to get it back up and continuously do this until the light turns green?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 01:28 AM   #2
sg///M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT

I would imagine it causes extra wear on the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 01:36 AM   #3
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

It's normal. Left-foot braking FTW.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 01:46 AM   #4
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
It's normal. Left-foot braking FTW.
+1
      03-15-2011, 05:13 AM   #5
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg///M3 View Post
I would imagine it causes extra wear on the clutch.
What? its exactly the same as when your foot is depressing the clutch pedal in a manual and the car rolls back... The DCT gear 1 clutch doesn't engage until you step on the gas.
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Black everything.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 05:16 AM   #6
serranot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmflukeiii View Post
What? its exactly the same as when your foot is depressing the clutch pedal in a manual and the car rolls back... The DCT gear 1 clutch doesn't engage until you step on the gas.
You did not read the OP's post completely. He feathers the gas pedal at a stop so the car continues to creep forward and roll back.

And yes, it's like doing the same thing with a manual transmission. And yes, it causes extra wear on the clutch. Sit there with the brake pedal depressed.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 08:23 AM   #7
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

so basically i have to hold down the brake the whole time i am at a red light? because if i was to not have it held down i would start to roll back.. and if i dont want to hit the car behind me i would have to gas it a bit.. which would cause wear on the clutch?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serranot View Post
You did not read the OP's post completely. He feathers the gas pedal at a stop so the car continues to creep forward and roll back.

And yes, it's like doing the same thing with a manual transmission. And yes, it causes extra wear on the clutch. Sit there with the brake pedal depressed.
I didn't get that from what he was saying. I thought he was just saying that the car rolls backwards on a hill. I guess that would be a pretty dumb comment though seeing as thats how gravity works.... so maybe that's not what he meant.
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 08:53 AM   #9
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamxkris View Post
so basically i have to hold down the brake the whole time i am at a red light? because if i was to not have it held down i would start to roll back.. and if i dont want to hit the car behind me i would have to gas it a bit.. which would cause wear on the clutch?
What's the problem here? Just hold the break until its time to go and then press on the gas.....
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 09:00 AM   #10
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Quote:
I think you’ve got it. You keep your foot on the brake when you want to remain stopped. You depress the pedal on the right when it’s time to move forward.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 09:01 AM   #11
sg///M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmflukeiii View Post
I didn't get that from what he was saying. I thought he was just saying that the car rolls backwards on a hill.
See the portion of the quote below in bold. That's what I was referring to.

Quote:
hey guys i have a DCT and on hills or slightly uneven roads when i am at a red light i let off the brake because on level roads it doesnt lurch forward.. but when i am on a hill the car rolls back.. is this okay for the car? any extra wear on the parts if i let go of the brakes and let the car roll back and hit the gas to get it back up and continuously do this until the light turns green?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 09:13 AM   #12
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

well the reason why i let off the brake on a red light is because unlike other auto trannies this one doesnt move forward when you let off.. on a level ground the car does not move even when the brake is not pressed.. but on roads that is slightly uneven it will roll back.. resulting in you having to gas it forward.. but yea so the best thing to do is to just have the brakes pressed down all the time? and how come on manual cars they can roll back and gas it and no wear on clutch? (correct me if i am wrong idk manual cars)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 09:19 AM   #13
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

Brake to stop and gas to move forward!!!! Guys, that's very complicated..anything simpler than that???
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 09:24 AM   #14
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
well the reason why i let off the brake on a red light is because unlike other auto trannies this one doesnt move forward when you let off.. on a level ground the car does not move even when the brake is not pressed.. but on roads that is slightly uneven it will roll back.. resulting in you having to gas it forward.. but yea so the best thing to do is to just have the brakes pressed down all the time? and how come on manual cars they can roll back and gas it and no wear on clutch? (correct me if i am wrong idk manual cars)
Why?

Is there some reason you are doing this? Trying to make it look like you drive a manual for some reason?

Just hold the brake, it's not that big of a deal.

It does cause wear on a manual as well. You shouldn't do it, people that do are being idiots.
      03-15-2011, 09:26 AM   #15
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
Brake to stop and gas to move forward!!!! Guys, that's very complicated..anything simpler than that???
thanks.. i think i would know this.. given that i have a license.. this car has different characteristics as other auto cars.. and i was just wondering if it was bad or good for the car.. but thanks for your input, idk what i would have done without you.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 09:29 AM   #16
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Why?

Is there some reason you are doing this? Trying to make it look like you drive a manual for some reason?

Just hold the brake, it's not that big of a deal.

It does cause wear on a manual as well. You shouldn't do it, people that do are being idiots.
thank you.. ive always seen manual cars do this so i thought it was okay since essentially our cars are pretty much manual cars.. and no i just dont like holding down the brake on long red lights and sometimes i forget im on a slightly uneven road and the car will roll back.. usually i hold the brake after that has happened but it has happened quite a bit and was just wondering if i was wearing anything out.. so is it bad to have the brake depressed on level roads? the car doesnt roll back or move forward..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #17
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

Quote:
thanks.. i think i would know this.. given that i have a license.. this car has different characteristics as other auto cars.. and i was just wondering if it was bad or good for the car.. but thanks for your input, idk what i would have done without you.
I'm sorry..Each of us is allowed one sarcastic comment/week and this time you got it.. If it makes you feel better, I wondered the same thing but my gut feeling said "No don't do that, doesn't feel right" so I don't anymore. didn't know for sure if it's wrong or why.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 10:18 AM   #18
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg///M3 View Post
See the portion of the quote below in bold. That's what I was referring to.
You're right, sorry about that. I guess I just am having trouble believing this thread even exists. Gas = go, brake = stop.....
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #19
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
so is it bad to have the brake depressed on level roads? the car doesnt roll back or move forward..
What????? why do you care? Just put your foot on the brake. Its not bad to hold the brake.....

are you f***ing with us?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #20
eluder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m

These are the people that are driving on the roads today.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 10:23 AM   #21
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
I'm sorry..Each of us is allowed one sarcastic comment/week and this time you got it.. If it makes you feel better, I wondered the same thing but my gut feeling said "No don't do that, doesn't feel right" so I don't anymore. didn't know for sure if it's wrong or why.
thank you for the mature comment back. yea i was just curious. i guess ill just stop doing it.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #22
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

okay seriously you guys are making it sound like i dont know how to drive a car.. this car acts differently than a regular car in certain situations.. whats wrong with asking if its okay to do a certain thing on a car? i mean really?.. where in my post did i say how do i make the car go and how do i make the car stop?.. if half of you guys knew how to read you guys would have gave me an answer similar to this: Dont do it anymore its not good.
now how simple was that?..
Appreciate 0