BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-31-2016, 09:15 AM   #23
DSilk
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2015 Jaguar XJ  [0.00]
2015 Jaguar XF  [0.00]
2014 VW GTI  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2007 VW Passat 2.0T  [0.00]
I have never liked the Continentals, but the issues with them are lack of grip and noise rather than vibration at speed. I had a similar vibration at speed that develped with my e46 M3 and it turned out to be worn bushings and ball joints. I replaced both and the vibration disappeared.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 04:35 PM   #24
M3Dimi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 4.6L M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSilk View Post
I have never liked the Continentals, but the issues with them are lack of grip and noise rather than vibration at speed. I had a similar vibration at speed that develped with my e46 M3 and it turned out to be worn bushings and ball joints. I replaced both and the vibration disappeared.
Ok thanks I'll look into it I did buy the car at 54k so it had been used quite a bit and it's a 2008.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 04:53 PM   #25
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAp3x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Do you have Macht Schnell spacers? These will do that to your car.
I have those spacers and I do not have this problem at those speeds... I just topped her out the other day on an undisclosed stretch of pavement and she was smooth as butter!

It was not a Mexico road though so I am sure that's why...
Yeah it's on YouTube
Sike!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 05:08 PM   #26
besiktas
Ultimate Driver for the Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

Depends on the road.
it can be a minor balancing issue, if it is a little off balance it can cause vibration at very high speeds, or it can be due to road. If you think the road was extremely silky smooth, then its your balancing.
when i went to 170-180mph, the small imperfections on the road was shaking the car enough to cause me to step off the gas. (I dont know my speed i redlined at 6th and moved to 7th at the time.) yes i had the governor removed.

governor does not shake or do anything to the car. when you hit the governor (168 mph indicated, 161 mph real speed - at least in my case) the car just stops giving extra gas and you maintain the speed but not accelerate further.

in some old cars, the governors used to shut down cyclinders which caused shaking. we had that in our Ford explorer, at ~110 mph it would shut off 3 of the 6 cyclinders and shake the entire car.

enjoy, be safe, and make sure there is no one around you to avoid harming others!

BMW M3 E92 - Silverstone II
BPM Sport Stage II Tune + Test Pipes, GTS DCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 01:26 PM   #27
M3Dimi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 4.6L M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by besiktas View Post
Depends on the road.
it can be a minor balancing issue, if it is a little off balance it can cause vibration at very high speeds, or it can be due to road. If you think the road was extremely silky smooth, then its your balancing.
when i went to 170-180mph, the small imperfections on the road was shaking the car enough to cause me to step off the gas. (I dont know my speed i redlined at 6th and moved to 7th at the time.) yes i had the governor removed.

governor does not shake or do anything to the car. when you hit the governor (168 mph indicated, 161 mph real speed - at least in my case) the car just stops giving extra gas and you maintain the speed but not accelerate further.

in some old cars, the governors used to shut down cyclinders which caused shaking. we had that in our Ford explorer, at ~110 mph it would shut off 3 of the 6 cyclinders and shake the entire car.

enjoy, be safe, and make sure there is no one around you to avoid harming others!
Thanks a lot this is the most useful comment I've gotten so far explained every scenario I was on a highway and I'm not to sure the conditions maybe it had a little bumps but when I go in to check balancing is there a specific set up it should be at? I'm new to the car community not just bmws haha. I've always loved these cars since I was little and finally got one and now I want to make it perform perfectly!
Appreciate 0