BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

05-01-2010, 03:16 AM   #1
PetitPimousse
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Accident

Hey guys, had an accident last night. Thank god, nobody got hurt. Some guy swerved into my lane and nailed the driver door, side skirt, rear quarter, rear bumper. I will post pics at a later time. I have a couple of questions as this has never happened to me.

The officer told me the other party was at fault (obviously), so his insurance will pay for the repair. Will I get to pick my own body shop to do the work?

I am concerned about the rear quarter panel. Will they have to cut or can that panel (as it extends all the the way to the front fender) be replaced and repainted?

Lastly, will me insurance go up at all?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 03:28 AM   #2
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Glad you're ok and that's all that really matters at the end of the day.

If there's a police report stating that he's 100% at fault and HIS insurance company pays for YOUR damages than your insurance will not go up. If your insurance companies pays for the damages than it will go up.

Basically, he needs to be in complete 100% his-fault agreement.

They'll probably replace the entire panel, they don't cut things, just replace new parts no matter how big they are.

You can pick a body shop that HIS insurance has approved, usually a few choices they like to work with.

Good luck, make sure his insurance pays for your damages and that he admits 100% fault.
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
PetitPimousse
Private
Rep

Thanks for the support.
According to the officer, the other driver admitted to switching into my lane so I assume it's 100% his fault, and that his insurance will bare the cost.

Unfortunately, I was worried that the answer would be that I have to pick a shop from a few chosen by his company. Hopefully there will be a good one in the mix. I'm usually very picky and with almost half the car needing work it could be a complete disaster if not done right.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 07:29 AM   #4
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Glad you're ok and that's all that really matters at the end of the day.

If there's a police report stating that he's 100% at fault and HIS insurance company pays for YOUR damages than your insurance will not go up. If your insurance companies pays for the damages than it will go up.

Basically, he needs to be in complete 100% his-fault agreement.

They'll probably replace the entire panel, they don't cut things, just replace new parts no matter how big they are.

You can pick a body shop that HIS insurance has approved, usually a few choices they like to work with.

Good luck, make sure his insurance pays for your damages and that he admits 100% fault.
FYI- you can pick any body shop you like. You're not stuck with the "approved" body shops that the insurance company will try and push you towards.
      05-01-2010, 07:42 AM   #5
PetitPimousse
Private
Rep

If that's the case that would be great news!

Should I contact my insurance company now or wait for the report?

Thanks for the support and advice guys

Last edited by PetitPimousse; 05-01-2010 at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
FYI- you can pick any body shop you like. You're not stuck with the "approved" body shops that the insurance company will try and push you towards.

It has been my experience that the other guy's insurance company asked me to obtain three repair quotes from body shops of my choosing. Then the insurance company goes with the low ball quote.

Advice: If you have a body shop in mind or perhaps you have a relationship with the owner/manager of a body shop, go get two quotes from two shops that will be high (typically a new car dealership that has a body shop). Then take your two "high" quotes to your preferred body shop and let it beat the high priced quotes.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
blueman2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Not sure if this is a California only law, but I found out that you can use ANY REPAIR SHOP YOU WANT (that is certified in the state) to get repairs. The insurance company can recommend and strongly urge you to use some shop they like, but by law, you can use any shop you prefer. Insurance companies do their very best to hide this law from you.

Again, this might only be California, but I found this out when my Jag got creamed.

ps They did try to ask for 3 quotes, but I refused and said I wanted one particular shop, the one that the Jag dealer said was the best in the Bay Area. They relented.
      05-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #8
major_kusanagi
SWARM & COIN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 AW/FR/CF E92 M3

also remember to file a diminished-value claim. And this will take some haggling with the other driver's insurance company.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Unfortunately, you're wrong.

OP, glad you're okay man. I recently had an accident myself as well, but was minor. I also looked at replacing the rear fender, but it'd have to be cut and rewelded (just like you suspected), so refused that option. I'd have refused even if it was one piece due to the invasive work required to do that. Anyway, that part comes from the factory with about 3" into the 'C' pillar, and it'd have to be cut and welded at that point; just like it's done at the factory. I decided to get the fender fixed, but mine was barely dented in the crease right above (12 o'clock) the rear wheel. After it was PDRed, it was almost perfect. On the other hand, if crash warrants replacement, I'd get it done, but choose a bodyshop carefully for that kind of work. Post some pics and some of us would tell you our opinion. Sometimes it's much better to just fix things than getting new parts, especially when damage is minor.

As far as insurance, report the accident to your company, but don't file a claim if you don't have to. And yes, you get to take the car wherever you want. The worst that could happen is the other insurance would not cover everything, but that's where yours would kick in. But before even thinking about a claim (if that was to happen, which I doubt), ask how it'd be classified. If under 'comprehensive' or 'underinsured motorist', your rates would not go up at all. Under 'collision', count on it, even if not your fault (happened to me), so if your out-of-pocket expense is slightly higher than you deductible, I'd just pay it. It's important to negotiate that in the event of a claim IN WRITING. I let my insurance company pay $300 for a hit-and-run on my parked car, after they told me my rates would not go up, and got a $700 renewal increase every 6 months for 3 freaking years. Good luck.

Last edited by JCtx; 05-01-2010 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #10
outie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Taycan GTS

Garage List
In California, what usually happens is that you choose your own body shop. The insurance company will send its own adjuster to your chosen body shop to do the estimate there. The body shop can work with the adjuster if there are hidden damages that the adjuster did not see, and demand more payments etc. The price is pretty standard and is based on some published estimate manual.

There are also body shops that the insurance company approved, and you can just go to those shops to get an estimate (no adjuster needed). I've seen some Honda dealers that are approved.

I haven't heard about getting quotes from 3 shops for a while, maybe only when the other party wants to settle it with you privately.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #11
PetitPimousse
Private
Rep

Thanks a lot for the replies. The rear quarter is definitely going to need to be replaced. There is a very deep gash that goes through the entire thickness in some areas. I was really hoping there wouldn't have to be welding involved but it seems like it is inevitable.

I certainly hope I don't have to file a claim since the accident was 100% the other driver's fault. I'll be contacting my insurance agent on monday to find out.

Should I go to the body shop before the insurance companies get the report or is it better to wait it out?

Last edited by PetitPimousse; 05-02-2010 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 04:46 PM   #12
ABSAUTOBODY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Unfortunately, you're wrong.

OP, glad you're okay man. I recently had an accident myself as well, but was minor. I also looked at replacing the rear fender, but it'd have to be cut and rewelded (just like you suspected), so refused that option. I'd have refused even if it was one piece due to the invasive work required to do that. Anyway, that part comes from the factory with about 3" into the 'C' pillar, and it'd have to be cut and welded at that point; just like it's done at the factory. I decided to get the fender fixed, but mine was barely dented in the crease right above (12 o'clock) the rear wheel. After it was PDRed, it was almost perfect. On the other hand, if crash warrants replacement, I'd get it done, but choose a bodyshop carefully for that kind of work. Post some pics and some of us would tell you our opinion. Sometimes it's much better to just fix things than getting new parts, especially when damage is minor.

As far as insurance, report the accident to your company, but don't file a claim if you don't have to. And yes, you get to take the car wherever you want. The worst that could happen is the other insurance would not cover everything, but that's where yours would kick in. But before even thinking about a claim (if that was to happen, which I doubt), ask how it'd be classified. If under 'comprehensive' or 'underinsured motorist', your rates would not go up at all. Under 'collision', count on it, even if not your fault (happened to me), so if your out-of-pocket expense is slightly higher than you deductible, I'd just pay it. It's important to negotiate that in the event of a claim IN WRITING. I let my insurance company pay $300 for a hit-and-run on my parked car, after they told me my rates would not go up, and got a $700 renewal increase every 6 months for 3 freaking years. Good luck.
+1 they will have to cut it and reweld; whoever said they jus replace it w.o cutting it is an idiot -_-
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #13
ABSAUTOBODY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by outie View Post
In California, what usually happens is that you choose your own body shop. The insurance company will send its own adjuster to your chosen body shop to do the estimate there. The body shop can work with the adjuster if there are hidden damages that the adjuster did not see, and demand more payments etc. The price is pretty standard and is based on some published estimate manual.

There are also body shops that the insurance company approved, and you can just go to those shops to get an estimate (no adjuster needed). I've seen some Honda dealers that are approved.

I haven't heard about getting quotes from 3 shops for a while, maybe only when the other party wants to settle it with you privately.
why would you go to a honda dealer when you have a bmw -_-
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #14
outie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Taycan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABSAUTOBODY View Post
why would you go to a honda dealer when you have a bmw -_-
It was only a sample that insurance companies can have an authorized dealer as their approved repair shop, not just cheapest shops.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #15
PetitPimousse
Private
Rep

So assuming no frame damage (crossing my fingers hard here), a new rear bumper, new rear quarter, new door, new side skirt + install + paint am I looking at $20k+?
So if the guy has minimum liability that isn't going to cover it. This could be a huge problem....
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #16
ABSAUTOBODY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetitPimousse View Post
So assuming no frame damage (crossing my fingers hard here), a new rear bumper, new rear quarter, new door, new side skirt + install + paint am I looking at $20k+?
So if the guy has minimum liability that isn't going to cover it. This could be a huge problem....
if he smashed your rear suspensions and the stabilizers was fucked up + all the damages all you had would of been total loss regardless

but you're good don't worry about it youre looking around 9-10k
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #17
ABSAUTOBODY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by outie View Post
It was only a sample that insurance companies can have an authorized dealer as their approved repair shop, not just cheapest shops.
ohh i see, my bad
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #18
PetitPimousse
Private
Rep

The car is still driveable, and doesn't pull to one side or anything so guess that's decent news. I'm just paranoid now until the reports come out and I'm in touch with his insurance about what would happen if he carried the minimum of $5k. I guess I'll find out when I get the insurance company gets the police report and contacts me...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #19
PetitPimousse
Private
Rep

Here are the pics, any opinions are appreciated. Think there is frame damage?

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/a...sse64/M3-2.jpg

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/a...usse64/M31.jpg
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #20
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

Your description sounded worse...frame damage not likely
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 10:34 AM   #21
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green///Hell View Post
Your description sounded worse...frame damage not likely
No kidding. I was expecting holes and gashes and all kinds of carnage. This is nothing.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 10:38 AM   #22
PetitPimousse
Private
Rep

I hadn't taken a look since it happened (at night), so it seems I did overestimate the damage. You guys are right, it is not as bad as I had thought. I still assume the rear quarter is screwed though ir is that fixable?
Appreciate 0