BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-12-2011, 09:54 PM   #23
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Congrats Mark and making the commitment to the Evolve tune. I'm sure you'll be very pleased with the results. Do you plan on doing any before/after dynos to show your gains?

They actually tuned my E46 M3 several months ago and they seriously know what they're doing. I will be getting the CF Airbox and Alpha-N tune for my E46 next mont and hopefully VSMotorsports will be doing the install as well. Provided I have some weight left in the wallet, I may spring for the Evolve tune for our E90 as well!

I'm looking forward to your results. VSMotorsports and Evolve make for a great duo! I'm glad they were able to form this affiliation.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #24
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

what is a tunerlocked car?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #25
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
what is a tunerlocked car?
Software on newer cars are locked so that you can't tune then. Different people supposedly circumvent this in different ways. Evolve flashes your ECU to pre-tunerlock software and then tunes that, and ESS supposedly knows how to hack the lock. Don't personally know how OE, AA, PowerChip, Dinan, etc. do it, but I think that OE, PC and Dinan are capable of tuning tunerlocked cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 11:21 AM   #26
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
Congrats Mark and making the commitment to the Evolve tune. I'm sure you'll be very pleased with the results. Do you plan on doing any before/after dynos to show your gains?

They actually tuned my E46 M3 several months ago and they seriously know what they're doing. I will be getting the CF Airbox and Alpha-N tune for my E46 next mont and hopefully VSMotorsports will be doing the install as well. Provided I have some weight left in the wallet, I may spring for the Evolve tune for our E90 as well!

I'm looking forward to your results. VSMotorsports and Evolve make for a great duo! I'm glad they were able to form this affiliation.
I will talk to VS about this, it shouldnt be a problem and I would like to get some dyno numbers
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #27
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
Here's the only independent dyno of an Evolve tune that I've seen so far. This was part of the recent Alekshop dyno day. I hope this helps.

Car and Modifications:
  • 2008 BMW M3
  • Primary CAT Delete
  • Turner X-Pipe
  • RPI Scoops
  • MS Filter
  • Evolve Stage-2 ECU
  • DCT
  • 91 Octane
Conditions:
  • Temparature:: 77.23 degrees F
  • Atmospheric pressure: 30.02 inHg
  • Humidity: 29%
  • SAE Correction: 0.980
  • STD Correction: 1.007
  • Uncorrected: 1.000
Results:
  • SAE Corrected: 348whp @ 8400 RPM, 258wtq @ 6990 RPM
  • STD Corrected: 357whp, 265wtq
  • Uncorrected: 355whp, 263wtq
Dyno Database:
Dyno Graphs:

Horsepower, Torque, AFR, and Spark Advance:

Horsepower and Torque are SAE Corrected using Kestel 4500 weather station. AFR and Spark Advance are collected from a Bavarian Technic tool connected to the OBD port. These values are read from the ECU and are exactly what the ECU saw.

Individual Dyno Results:
Individual dyno results are shown below. SAE corrected results are shown twice, using two different sources. The first source (SAEd) are the SAE corrected results straight from the Dynojet. The second source (SAEk) of SAE corrected results are obtained by using the Kestrel 4500 weather station data for each individual dyno run and running it through an independent SAE correction formula. This ensures that the dyno results are accurate and can be independently audited and verified for authenticity and accuracy.

The legend below has the following meaning:
  • Dyno Run: Dyno run file
  • Boost Avg: Boost calculated using trend line. This is the "official" boost for this dyno run.
  • Boost Peak: Peak boost observed on this dyno run.
  • Temp(F) = Temperature (Farenheit)
  • RelH = Relative Humidity
  • Pressure(Hg) = Barometric Pressure
  • DA(ft) = Density Altitude
  • WHP(unc) = Uncorrected wheel horsepower
  • WTQ(unc) = Uncorrected wheel torque
  • WHP(SAEd) = SAE Corrected Horsepower using Dynojet weather station.
  • WTQ(SAEd) = SAE Corrected Torque using Dynojet weather station.
  • WHP(SAEk) = SAE Corrected Horsepower using Kestrel 4500 weather station.
  • WTQ(SAEk) = SAE Corrected Torque using Kestrel 4500 weather station.

Dyno Run
Temp(F)
RelH
Press(Hg)
DA(ft)
WHP(unc)
WTQ(unc)
WHP(SAEd)
WTQ(SAEd)
WHP(SAEk)
WTQ(SAEk)
Run_001
Run_002
Run_003

* Entry used for the Dyno Database
great right up! thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #28
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
Software on newer cars are locked so that you can't tune then. Different people supposedly circumvent this in different ways. Evolve flashes your ECU to pre-tunerlock software and then tunes that, and ESS supposedly knows how to hack the lock. Don't personally know how OE, AA, PowerChip, Dinan, etc. do it, but I think that OE, PC and Dinan are capable of tuning tunerlocked cars.
BTW,whenever an E9X M3 car go to the dealer for a software update ,the ECU get locked ,so it doesnt matter 2008 from 2011,they all get locked.
I had to send my ECU back to ESS when i was NA to have my ECU reflashed and AJ unlocks them. If you have a flash loader to reverse the tune before going to the dealer and the dealer decide to flash your car,it doesnt matter which tune you are running but you wont be able to reload your after market tune after that.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #29
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
great right up! thanks!
thank you sir !
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #30
E90///M3`
Major General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [7.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
BTW,whenever an E9X M3 car go to the dealer for a software update ,the ECU get locked ,so it doesnt matter 2008 from 2011,they all get locked.
I had to send my ECU back to ESS when i was NA to have my ECU reflashed and AJ unlocks them. If you have a flash loader to reverse the tune before going to the dealer and the dealer decide to flash your car,it doesnt matter which tune you are running but you wont be able to reload your after market tune after that.
:Videos: EnvyRidesTV, GPR 1, GPR 2, GPR 3, ///MFEST
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #31
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

is this correct how do you avoid running into this? do i have to tell my dealer i have the tune so they dont screw things up?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 01:53 PM   #32
IMG
United_States
Rep

Quote:
is this correct how do you avoid running into this? do i have to tell my dealer i have the tune so they dont screw things up?
It depends what kind of service needs to be done to the car and thats what determins if the ECU is getting reflashed but you can always say "please dont flash my car" .
No need to say that you have a tune,also ask for the head tech to work on your car and ask to meet him,introduce yourself and tell him not to flash it just to be sure.

There are other ways to flash or coding a car without flashing the ECU but i will not post this here cause its too tricky and technical
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #33
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

with evolve arent i able to switch between both tunes, stock and modified with my laptop? the have had to do ecu coding for me just recently on an alarm install so i assume my ecu is locked. Evolve should still be able to work around this correct?

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #34
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
with evolve arent i able to switch between both tunes, stock and modified with my laptop? the have had to do ecu coding for me just recently on an alarm install so i assume my ecu is locked. Evolve should still be able to work around this correct?
Coding and ECU flash are independent of each other. Yes they both access the ecu, but flashing an ECU is not required to code a vehicle, tunerlocked or no.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #35
Taz@Evolve. P
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Quick enough

Quote:
Yep you can switch between both and as LateBreaking pointed out, different parts of the ECU are involved with coding that we don't touch. And no, it doesn't matter if your dealer updates the software, that's why we chose to revert backwards rather than try to unlock every new version.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #36
Taz@Evolve. P
Rep

MKPoto - Great to hear you've decided to go with our tune and VS Motorsports, we are sure you'll have a great experience!

Thanks also to IMG for posting those results. We are proud the car represented had the results it did, given it was running 91 octane and only had a primary cat delete, xpipe and filter. It was down just around 10hp on a Dinan car running 95.5 Octane and absolutely everything including Dinan Stage-2 Underdrive Pulley, Dinan Intake, Dinan Throttle Bodies, Dinan Mid-Pipe, Both CAT delete, Dinan Exhaust and Dinan Stage-2 Software...
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #37
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Evolve View Post
MKPoto - Great to hear you've decided to go with our tune and VS Motorsports, we are sure you'll have a great experience!

Thanks also to IMG for posting those results. We are proud the car represented had the results it did, given it was running 91 octane and only had a primary cat delete, xpipe and filter. It was down just around 10hp on a Dinan car running 95.5 Octane and absolutely everything including Dinan Stage-2 Underdrive Pulley, Dinan Intake, Dinan Throttle Bodies, Dinan Mid-Pipe, Both CAT delete, Dinan Exhaust and Dinan Stage-2 Software...
great to see a vendor like yourself get on here and clarify things, im an very excited to see what your tune will do for my car
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #38
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

i second that. so even if the dealer goes in and does some work they arent going to undo the tune.

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #39
Sales@Evolve
Rep

Drives: Slow

Hi Guys,

just to clarify something.

We can also tune the tuner protected cars but this involves putting two different protocols on the evolveR software.

One person on here has already seen us successfully write to a tuner protected ECU with a separate version of the evolveR software.

The reason we don't put put both protocols on is because this can potentially lead to a complete lock out of the ECU if the end user accidently selects the wrong protocol.

Anything that can potentially permanently lock out and ECU will not be enabled.

The majority of tuners actually revert back to 140E rather than tampering with the tuner locked 170E, 190E .... 220E versions.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #40
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i second that. so even if the dealer goes in and does some work they arent going to undo the tune.
Depends on the type of work being done. If they are doing things like activating alarms or sattelite radio, no. If they are performing yet another DCT update or changing something engine-management related (or....adding tunerlock to your ECU), then yes, it will overwrite your tune.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #41
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@Evolve View Post
Hi Guys,

just to clarify something.

We can also tune the tuner protected cars but this involves putting two different protocols on the evolveR software.

One person on here has already seen us successfully write to a tuner protected ECU with a separate version of the evolveR software.

The reason we don't put put both protocols on is because this can potentially lead to a complete lock out of the ECU if the end user accidently selects the wrong protocol.

Anything that can potentially permanently lock out and ECU will not be enabled.

The majority of tuners actually revert back to 140E rather than tampering with the tuner locked 170E, 190E .... 220E versions.
What about getting it done at VS, they will have no problem with flashing my car correct?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 02:58 AM   #42
Taz@Evolve. P
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
What about getting it done at VS, they will have no problem with flashing my car correct?
Nope, they'll have no problem at all
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 05:40 AM   #43
prodigue
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Evolve View Post
Nope, they'll have no problem at all
Hi Paul,

I'm interested in the Evolve tune for my M3 DCT and have sent an e-mail to sales@evo-s.co.uk

Would appreciate if someone can pick it up and revert.

Thanks!

Desmond
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 05:42 AM   #44
Sales@Evolve
Rep

Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigue View Post
Hi Paul,

I'm interested in the Evolve tune for my M3 DCT and have sent an e-mail to sales@evo-s.co.uk

Would appreciate if someone can pick it up and revert.

Thanks!

Desmond
Hi,

literally just recieved your email. Paul will be in touch with you.
Appreciate 0