BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

05-09-2011, 05:50 AM   #23
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangoma View Post
I have a 2008 M3 - Fully Loaded
I got into a rather minor, yet structurally major accident a couple weeks back.
Long story short some idiot cut me off causing me to go off the road hitting the curb (4 inches high) at around 40 MPH. Needless to say the car has significant front end, suspension, axle, airbag, etc etc etc.
Got a call Friday that the car has, above what I have already mentioned a frame that is "off center" which will need to be put into place. No "damage" from what he continues to tell me (the insurance adjuster) but fixable nonetheless.
Oh and because of the frame "issues" the roof buckled, but that's also "fixable". Solution replace the roof. Yes, they are going to cut the rood off my car and REPLACE it!
Cost for repair: $31,770

I have various concerns:
1) Airbag deployments are documented on Carfax correct?
2) Any frame issues, regardless of it being bent or not are documented correct?
3) Should I push to get the vehicle inspected by BMW before signing off on repairs and taking possession of the car again? Since the car is still under all the warranties, I don't want to have an issue later and be told "well this car was in an accident so we're not going to cover it" type response.

Then a follow-up question, should I just sell it and call it a day, or keep it?
I have an idea. It may work, it may not, but you have nothing to lose. It seems like your damage cost isn't too far off from the value of the totalled car.

First, I would very politely plead your case with the insurance co. Make it a good sob story. If that doesn't work, then tell them, again very politely, that you don't feel they are doing the right thing here and that you will change to a different company after this claim is settled. Show them the math of how your annual premium payment after the accident surcharge will add up to the cost difference in several years. If you insure more than one car with them or other things like your home, life, etc. you will have even more pull using this method.

This actually worked for me a number of years back. I had an accident and the company wanted to fix it cheaply. Since we paid over $7000 in annual premiums to this company for all our insurances, combined, I simply told them that if they didn't fix it properly, at an added cost of of $1400 to them, I would cancel ALL my policies with them. Within 48 hours, they "re-evaluated" the claim.
      05-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #24
h1d
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 - BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpuer View Post
Go to a BMW verified collision center. Your 31k estimate will magically become 62k and declared total loss. BMW centers are known to charge double of a normal body shop. There will be an invoice of at least 2-3 grand worth of screws, nuts, and bolts. As the factory requires replacement of these items because they are deemed one time use only by BMW.

This is the best advice....
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #25
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpuer View Post
Go to a BMW verified collision center. Your 31k estimate will magically become 62k and declared total loss. BMW centers are known to charge double of a normal body shop. There will be an invoice of at least 2-3 grand worth of screws, nuts, and bolts. As the factory requires replacement of these items because they are deemed one time use only by BMW.

Also, keep in mind that, all the estimates done by any collision center will go up once they start working on the car. They can't see many things until they take the body panels off etc..

ps: I don't think the roof needs to be cut to be replaced. It is basically glued to the roof frame of the chasis.
      05-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #26
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Pics? That may help for further opinions. Good luck with the claim.
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 12:59 AM   #27
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Total it 100%. With that much damage I would never drive that car again.

Pics would really help. Obviously the body shop wants to fix the car because they will generate a profit.

As others have said, take it to a factory collision center and it will be so costly to fix that they will total it.

Not to mention there are often suppliments on top of the original estimates which would most likely cross the "totalled" threshold.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #28
10M3MAN
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Nissan Altima SER

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post

Also, keep in mind that, all the estimates done by any collision center will go up once they start working on the car. They can't see many things until they take the body panels off etc..

ps: I don't think the roof needs to be cut to be replaced. It is basically glued to the roof frame of the chasis.
      05-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #29
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

post some shots of the car.
      05-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #30
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
1) Insurance adjusters are some of the dumbest people to roam this planet. I've been dealing with them for quite some time. They are just awfully stupid people and have no clue about anything.

2) The repair estimate will go up probably to $40k.

3) Your car should 100% be declared a total loss, considering that it's a 2008 and $40k worth of damage - we're looking at 70-85% of the vehicle's market value for repair which in the state of California should be deemed a total loss. It's in the Vehicle Code.

4) They will never be able to repair it to factory spec, no matter what the insurance, the shop or some forum members tell you. I'm sorry, but a few guys in East L.A. can't fix a car back to M spec after severe chassis/suspension/frame/roof damage. It will always be off a few millimeters. To the insurance company this is fine, to us it is NOT.

5) Hire a lawyer, might also need to hire an independent investigator/forensics guy to prove your point to the insurance company if they don't comply/listen.

I just went through this headache, PM if you need help.
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 02:00 AM   #31
adanguy
Rep
Drives: awesome

Get BMW to inspect it thoroughly and get your insurance to take care of all the damages right now. Also, any auto insurance company worth its salt would total this car which is exactly what you should be pushing for, given how much this accident will decrease the car’s value.

Last edited by adanguy; 09-12-2013 at 05:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 07:48 AM   #32
m3keash
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93, JB/Bamboo, Adv.1 8.3 20s

Hopefully you're talking about the other driver's insurance company. If so, sue their butts. If it's your insurance company get a lawyer (they'll usually yield once they get the letter) and, once resolved, change companies.

I don't know what the laws are like in California, but in Florida, if the insurance company is found to be holding back from appropriate resolution they are liable for up to an additional $1mil. They fear that law and will bend over backwards to please once a lawyer gets involved.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #33
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List

JK glad ur okay see what insurance says
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 05:20 PM   #34
MonteCarloM3
Banned
Uzbekistan
Rep
Drives: a shitty M3

go to the best, top of the line repair shop with the most expensive rates and get them to estimate repair. then call a lawyer to fight it.
Appreciate 0