BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

10-15-2007, 09:14 PM   #1
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Post BMW Vs. Benz In A Different Perspective

please correct me if im wrong, just my theory on bmw and benz:

benz always made luxury cars from the start. they focused more on the luxury then the engine and other components. bmw from the start didn't look pleasing as to benz but had the proven winning performance and handling. throughout the years as the company developed bmw wonderfully managed to mix both luxury and sport into their cars while benz still kept their main route of luxury over all. but as the years progressed benz needed bigger engines to make up thus the amg started. then throughout those years benz finally noticed that they need to keep up with bmw handling and performance thus they go to nurburgring more and now made what is a mix for them the soon to be release black series.

your thoughts? im just bored
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 09:18 PM   #2
BaLLzZz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

My thoughts u are partially right. Benz is benz they make beautiful pieces of shit. They know how to make money. They know how to offer about 4 displacements threwout a model. They know how to market. Benz is a sick company that sells rediculous amounts of vehicles. Now on the other hand BMW has always been performance oriented. Always wanted the handling over the luxury. Always wanted theaerodynamics over the styling LOl gotta run out will get back to this later. 2 tottaly different cars with 2 tottaly different purposes.

01 e46 m54 - Current : 14 f10 n26 - Boring & Gone : 15 f30 n26 - Current : 08 e92 n54 - Gone & Missed!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 09:21 PM   #3
阿龍|ah_Long
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90

i drove a benz couple times but i didn't have much time to really test it. the power steering for benz is much more powerful then the bmw. bmw's steering wheel is tight
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 10:01 PM   #4
Master Deep
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
IMO, Benz is more pure luxury with some sport depending on models. BMW is more sport with more and more luxury added the more expensive you go up the model ranges(3-->5-->7).

I usually don't like Benz for this reason since I'm young, but I'm looking at the SLK350 currently. It's fast, hardtop convertible is really nice, looks good, and they came in stick too till 2007 or 2008. It's either that or a Z4 roadster or coupe, or another 3er.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 10:33 PM   #5
younghov85
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 black 325

There is no way that someone can consider a Mercedes-Benz to be "pieces of shit". You have to look at it in the manner: every major car company has a blueprint to the type of automobiles that they design manufacture and sell. BMW is more focused on performance while Mercedes-Benz is all about luxury and the ambiance of their vehicles. Yes Mercedes-Benz can perform as a sport sedan should, but not like BMW. But the same goes for BMW, which lack in the luxury department in relation to MB. Audi takes on a more neutral position in comparison to BMW and Mercedes, as focusing on a blend of luxury as well as performance, which could be the reason that they dont truly excel in either category. I will agree that MB is not as they once were, but thats due to the mass production of their automobiles. They still have some of the most desirable cars on the planet, they just are not as reliable as they once were. But BMW has been criticized for not being as "raw" as they once were, but that is only due to catering to what consumers want. They are selling cars more than they have ever before so I guess change is good for BMW. But in conclusion, its all what you are looking for in a car, but they both (BMW and MB) are top notch automobile companies.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 12:17 AM   #6
Etnies
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

I agree with the luxury-first assessment regarding Merc. As to needing AMG to make more powerful engines.....completely incorrect. I won't even bother addressing that any further.

I have driven one of the new S550s, and it was a real treat. Quite a machine. As someone pointed out, the steering is notably more effortless in a Merc than a BMW. But BMW has always been about the driver, and what a real driving enthusiast likes and wants.

A couple final points...Mercs are far from "piece of sh*t." Anyone saying that is just throwing out unfounded hate.
Secondly, BMW has been outselling Merc.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 07:48 AM   #7
Master Deep
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Yea I agree with everyone else. Benzes are well made cars. I heard when the new s-class came out, they cut their profits from 3billion to 1billion (or something like that) just to improve reliability. If people remember, Benz used to be known for reliability back in the 90's. Then when they started adding all the electronics in the early 2000's, there reliability went to an all-time low. But they are building back up right now.

When I was in high school, I used to see a benz loaner in everyones driveway every month or 2. But now I realized for the past year or so, I haven't seen any. So maybe this isn't a sign they are getting better but something changed.

And on the AMG. Benz didn't make AMG to compete with BMW directly. Yes they are always compared and do compete a little, but they go about it 2 different ways. Benzs are all about luxury, their buyers don't want a car that beats you up when you drive it, but they still want all that massive torque. That is what AMG sells, ridiculously fast but still comfortable cars. M on the other hand caters to more "niche" driving enthusiast. If a person wants a fast Benz for luxury, they do not want the stiff suspension of a M3 vs. a regular 3-series, but they might want the M3 speed. And AMG does just that very very well.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 03:33 PM   #8
BaLLzZz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

The new c class is made in africa! Now i love benz but they just are not what they used to be.

01 e46 m54 - Current : 14 f10 n26 - Boring & Gone : 15 f30 n26 - Current : 08 e92 n54 - Gone & Missed!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 07:18 PM   #9
younghov85
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 black 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLzZz View Post
The new c class is made in africa! Now i love benz but they just are not what they used to be.
They most likely build it there because of the harsh terrain. I think MB would be the experts, not someone on a forum.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 07:35 PM   #10
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Wikiepedia is our friend.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 10:35 PM   #11
Master Deep
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
But I thought some bimmers are made in south africa too...and some are made in the US. Does that mean they aren't as good as before?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 11:01 PM   #12
arcrox
E90post addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 G20 M340i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
That's a very ignorant thing to say. BMW's South African plant is regarded as one of the better factories. E90Fleet toured it, and it's quite impressive.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 11:47 PM   #13
Master Deep
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
How's the BMW US factory compare to SA and Germany?

People say that the cars made here tend to be of lower quality (Z4 materials) than the german ones, but that can't be entirely true. BMW still has a quality control no matter where its built.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 03:36 AM   #14
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Deep View Post
How's the BMW US factory compare to SA and Germany?

People say that the cars made here tend to be of lower quality (Z4 materials) than the german ones, but that can't be entirely true. BMW still has a quality control no matter where its built.
i believe they would ensure that thier cars are built consistenly the same across the globe.

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0