BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

09-15-2010, 11:55 PM   #45
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

Fair enough. The sound alone is worth the price of admission for me. Only other car I think of matches it/beats it is the Porsche Carrera GT, but even that revs up to 8500 rpm while LFA goes to 9500 rpm.

Anyway, the thread is about IS-F vs M3 so I think that is where it should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
I'm sure there are people who bought the LFA as their first supercar. I'll say personally I would never do that.

Honestly I think the LFA is a sweet car it has exceeded my expectations but there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that I'm getting it for my first supercar. I'm going with Ferrari or Lamborghini first - period.

Bring on that Murciélago

The driver driving it around Nurburgring is the 24-hour race car driver Kinosheita. He is also a driver in the "Best Motoring series". There is a video of Kinosheita making a girl freak out and scared in the passenger side of the LFA while hitting 140+ mph around Goodwood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedM6 View Post
LFA sounds nuts
thanks for posting the vid on n-ring. That guy can drive too

- Lamborghini on turbocharging

Last edited by 330CIZHP; 09-16-2010 at 12:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 11:06 AM   #46
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
I never thought I would say that anything sounds better than a Ferrai but the LFA is that car.
i agree. i love this car regardless if everyone hate it due to look or price. it sounds awesome and looks the part, sound is not obnoxious loud, but refined wail at high rpm in true f1 fashion. as far as I know, no car sound close to f1 as this thing right now including the carerra gt, 599 gto, etc. the front/side profile could be more aggresive, but they are not ugly in anyway. the rear is full of win to me and interior quality based on review/pictures are no match by any other supercar. so far it doesn't catch fire like lambo, ferrari, r8 either, so that's a good sign. LOL

carrera gt, 599 gto sound very good but in a mechanical/brutal way which I love equally too, but the lfa is more finesse in the way it sounds. just close your eyes, put the ego bashing Japanese cars aside and listen to the acceleration at the end of this vid. tell me there is another car with stock exaust that sounds better than this.

stock for stock, nothing match the beautiful sound of the LFA. many argue the carrera gt is better and post aftermarket straight pipes, etc. but that is just obnoxious loud with no finesse and you can't live with that everyday. so i don't consider that as good sound. don't mistake loud for good sound.

the sound, interior quality, and unique look is totally worth it IMO.

Last edited by graider; 09-16-2010 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 11:15 AM   #47
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
i agree. i love this car regardless if everyone hate it due to look or price. it sounds awesome and looks the part, sound is not obnoxious loud, but refined wail at high rpm in true f1 fashion. as far as I know, no car sound close to f1 as this thing right now including the carerra gt, 599 gto, etc. the front/side profile could be more aggresive, but they are not ugly in anyway. the rear is full of win to me and interior quality based on review/pictures are no match by any other supercar. so far it doesn't catch fire like lambo, ferrari, r8 either, so that's a good sign. LOL

carrera gt, 599 gto sound very good but in a mechanical/brutal way which I love equally too, but the lfa is more finesse in the way it sounds. just close your eyes, put the ego bashing Japanese cars aside and listen to the acceleration at the end of this vid. tell me there is another car with stock exaust that sounds better than this.

stock for stock, nothing match the beautiful sound of the LFA. many argue the carrera gt is better and post aftermarket straight pipes, etc. but that is just obnoxious loud with no finesse and you can't live with that everyday. so i don't consider that as good sound. don't mistake loud for good sound.
I agree with you on this. But you forgot the Lambo Murcielago, it does sound like an F1. It is amazing, the sound on the LF-A, it is very smooth like.
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 11:26 AM   #48
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elm3 View Post
I agree with you on this. But you forgot the Lambo Murcielago, it does sound like an F1. It is amazing, the sound on the LF-A, it is very smooth like.
the lambo still doesn't sound as f1 as this on the top end though. the lfa just scream way higher up top than any other cars including the lambo.

if i have the money and this is my first supercar, i would defintely go with the lfa. i'm a big fan of reliabilty (hello m3, german) and I would never buy a ferrari or lambo due to this reason alone. what's the point of having a supercar that let you stranded or combust at will.

one thing I've learned from experience is that japanese cars in general do not leave you stranded even if there is a sensor or warning light on the dash. good example is my mdx, transmission light came but the car still drive. this clearly indicate the japanese have better programing/logic in their car design. on the other hand the mighty m3 left me stranded on the road atleast 5 times in the past 3 years anytime when some stupid light came on. the car would stall, went out of gear, do some stupid thing, door won't unlock, etc......thing gets old pretty quick. i imagine owning lambo/ferrari would be lot worse.

as for those who say they rather get the r8 v10. well that car is dime a dozen, looks like a tt, interior is from the tt part bin, doesn't sounds anywhere as close the lfa. you gotta be crazy to think the r8 is on the same page as the lfa. performance is close but that's like saying my evo can murder your m3 around the track.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 02:50 PM   #49
garek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 DCT

The LFA may sound great, but given the choice, no question, I would get the Ferrari 458. The 458 has 18 more horsepower, 44 lbs/ft more torque from a 4.5L V8 vs the 4.8L V10 in the LFA. Plus the 458 is 200 pounds lighter. The 458 should eat the LFA alive on the track and in a straight line.

It's not like the Ferrari sounds bad either.

IMO, a car should be judged on its merits, not on how many are going to be produced. The limited production of the LFA may make it more expensive than the Ferrari, but IMO, doesn't make it any more desirable.
      09-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #50
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW3R View Post
I looked all over for the show on DirecTV and couldn't find a description showing the M3 in a comparison with the ISF. Do you know the exact time and series title.
It should be either the 10 or 11 pm slot. My comcast description is off for this show and has always been off. It says the show will happen but is for the ZR1 v Viper, but trust us, it's the M3 ISF slot tongiht.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #51
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

pandamonium, just pure pandamonium

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchM3dreamer View Post
i think i'm more interested in what this thread will become AFTER the show (regardless of the outcome) than the show itself...

i can only imagine the comments if the IS-F ends up winning...

i'll watch the show though, just so i know what to expect the next morning when i log in here, haha !!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #52
AZE92M3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

2:40 teaser video

Just a teaser.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/batt...sf_2061223.htm
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 05:17 PM   #53
///M 4 Life
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M6 CP

LFA sounds crazy, but looks like a decked out supra
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #54
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep

So to the people asking, you found your answer. Yes, on M-DCT and yes on ZCP.

Looked like Tracy was struggling with the M-DCT and could not get it to launch properly. It spins way too much off the line to hook-up properly. I think the E46 M3 launch control was way more effective and hooked up very quickly.

Thanks for posting. A very nice detailed teaser. Much more detail that what they showed at the end of the episode. We will find out tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZE92M3 View Post

How about keeping it on topic with the thread? I am trying to avoid engaging in this conversation since it is not about LFA.

FYI, The actual tested curb weight of 458 Italia is 3440 lbs while the 3100 lbs weight is for a bare bones, stripped 458 Italia with no fluids. The power difference is only 8 HP. Not 18 HP. 562 ps vs 570 ps. You might want to check the SportAuto supertest test weight of Italia. It was the same as LFA.

And no, you are completely wrong since your basis of 458 Italia eating LFA for lunch around the track are just your imagination. The Stig of "TopGear" called it "the most amazing track weapon" in his back to back test in September edition of "TopGear". The 458 Italia was deemed only better on the B-roads.

In Sport Auto supertest LFA despite being handicapped by heat soaking of 30 C humid German temperatures (and 43 C ambient asphalt temperatures), LFA was pulling more g in the corner and had much higher cornering speeds in every corner (115 km/h@1.30g for LFA versus 104 km/h@125g for the 458 Italia on the same corner) with the same driver Horst Von Saurma. The only reason why 458 Italia had the exact same Nurburgring lap time (both with mediocre Bridgestone S001 tires) was because LFA could not reach the high speeds that Italia reached on the very last straight due to heat soaking where LFA could hit "only" 275 km/h. Also, SportAuto test LFA only had 1100 KM (600 miles) on the odometer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garek View Post
Plus the 458 is 200 pounds lighter. The 458 should eat the LFA alive on the track and in a straight line.

Last edited by 330CIZHP; 09-16-2010 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #55
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

LF-A is a really nice car and sounds great. But it is way over priced. Specially when you see that a GT-R at 1/4th of the price can run neck to neck with it not to mention the Vette ZR1. The GT-R or Vette ZR1 with $20K in upgrades would show taillights to the $400K LF-A.

I think LF-A would have been a super hit with a price of around $120K. But tsk tsk Toyota had to ruin it by pricing it around $400K.

I think for less then 100K GT-R kicks butt.

nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #56
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CIZHP View Post
Only other car I think of matches it/beats it is the Porsche Carrera GT, but even that revs up to 8500 rpm while LFA goes to 9500 rpm.
Make it 9000 rpm . Apparently part of the reason for that price was the extensive use of carbon fiber, but it was a huge gamble. It paid off, so no regrets now, but it'd have been smarter to build their first supercar with a competitive price tag, not 50% above that. Even if that meant building more cars.

Now back to subject. Seems like we had been better represented by Tanner, no? I'd have learned how the hell to operate a car I was going to compete with BEFORE the freaking event . That Tracy always jumps the gun, and when he's driving the M3, he's freaking behind; geez. Wouldn't doubt he lost that race. Oh well, it was nice to see the IS-F stranded . Have both of tonight's events programmed to record; hope it's what we're expecting.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 07:19 PM   #57
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep

Why are you turning this into an LFA debate??? LFA are sold-out so they have no reason to listen to your price nonsense.

In MotorTrend comparison, watch how fast LFA is pulling away from the GTR once it gets full traction as the spoiler raises up at 50 mph. LFA destroyed the GTR in any 60 + mph acceleration hitting 100 mph more than 0.6 seconds faster. 125 mph in the LFA comes 1.3 seconds faster (AutoZeitung). Even at the 1/4 mile LFA was travelling 5 mph faster in MotorTrend. That is a huge difference. LFA prototype had no launch control so it was bogging badly off the line, which cost it off the line and GTR has an extremely short first gear. Any rolling start race and the LFA is gone.

Around a race track, GTR was of no comparison for the LFA in any test of handling and braking and got killed in the figure-8 lap track test by almost 2 seconds.

Around Goodwood race track, LFA was a full 3 seconds faster on only a 3800 meter track:

http://www.fastestlaps.com/track68.html

Around Nurburgring LFA lapped the same with much inferior and weaker tires (Bridgestone S001) with Horst Von Saurma while Nissan delivered GTR with super-slicks to SportAuto. Usually super-slick tires shave off around 8 - 10 seconds easily:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_auto_(Germany)

The GTR sounds like a hissing vaccum cleaner and weighs nearly 4000 lbs. It uses a cookie-cutter Nissan FM platform that is used even in the FX SUV, uses a turbocharged highly modified version of the VQ engine series. So there are all the cost savings right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
LF-A is a really nice car and sounds great. But it is way over priced. Specially when you see that a GT-R at 1/4th of the price can run neck to neck with it not to mention the Vette ZR1.

I was talking rev-limiter. 9500 rpm is the rev cut-off for LFA (redline at 9000 rpm).

Anyway, I just looked at the description of the episode today and it says it will be Ariel Atom versus something else??? They showed the M3 and IS-F teaser at the end of last week's episode. Did they shift the episode to next week??

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Make it 9000 rpm . Apparently part of the reason for that price was the extensive use of carbon fiber, but it was a huge gamble. It paid off, so no regrets now, but it'd have been smarter to build their first supercar with a competitive price tag, not 50% above that. Even if that meant building more cars.

Now back to subject. Seems like we had been better represented by Tanner, no? I'd have learned how the hell to operate a car I was going to compete with BEFORE the freaking event . That Tracy always jumps the gun, and when he's driving the M3, he's freaking behind; geez. Wouldn't doubt he lost that race. Oh well, it was nice to see the IS-F stranded . Have both of tonight's events programmed to record; hope it's what we're expecting.

Last edited by 330CIZHP; 09-16-2010 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #58
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

No it's still M3 vs ISF they announced it on their facebook page 5 hours ago.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #59
garek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
How about keeping it on topic with the thread? I am trying to avoid engaging in this conversation since it is not about LFA.

FYI, The actual tested curb weight of 458 Italia is 3440 lbs while the 3100 lbs weight is for a bare bones, stripped 458 Italia with no fluids. The power difference is only 8 HP. Not 18 HP. 562 ps vs 570 ps. You might want to check the SportAuto supertest test weight of Italia. It was the same as LFA.

And no, you are completely wrong since your basis of 458 Italia eating LFA for lunch around the track are just your imagination. The Stig of "TopGear" called it "the most amazing track weapon" in his back to back test in September edition of "TopGear". The 458 Italia was deemed only better on the B-roads.

In Sport Auto supertest LFA despite being handicapped by heat soaking of 30 C humid German temperatures (and 43 C ambient asphalt temperatures), LFA was pulling more g in the corner and had much higher cornering speeds in every corner (115 km/h@1.30g for LFA versus 104 km/h@125g for the 458 Italia on the same corner) with the same driver Horst Von Saurma. The only reason why 458 Italia had the exact same Nurburgring lap time (both with mediocre Bridgestone S001 tires) was because LFA could not reach the high speeds that Italia reached on the very last straight due to heat soaking where LFA could hit "only" 275 km/h. Also, SportAuto test LFA only had 1100 KM (600 miles) on the odometer.
You're the one that brought up the LFA. You opened pandora's box, not us.

I'm not buying the LFA was handicapped from heat soaking argument as the reason why the 458 and LFA turned in the same lap times. That sounds like a nebulous, unprovable excuse to me. I think the more likely explanation is the Ferrari has the superior engine. More horsepower, and more torque despite being .3L smaller and having 2 fewer cylinders.
      09-16-2010, 08:02 PM   #60
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
No it's still M3 vs ISF they announced it on their facebook page 5 hours ago.
Thanks. I hope it is.

That is what they showed as a teaser at the end of last episode. I so want to see that episode. If for no other reason, just the entertainment value.

Seems like the IS-F stalled in the corner. I thought Lexus claimed it had an oil scavenging pump to avoid starvation of oil under hard cornering.

I don't care about Ariel Atom.

Last edited by 330CIZHP; 09-16-2010 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #61
VonSwoopington
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 e90

Speaking of stalling out..

At the BMW Ultimate Driving Experience last week someone stalled a IS250. The cars were barely going above 50 Mph. When you are in the IS250 the car will constantly beep at you when it realizes that you are pushing it. I guess the guy pushed it too much and it just stalled in the middle of autocross lol.

It would really suck if the same thing happens to the ISFs. I thought they were made to compete against the M3

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 09:02 PM   #62
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep

Watching the episode right now. It is on!

Uphill acceleration test and downhill braking test going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonSwoopington View Post
Speaking of stalling out..

At the BMW Ultimate Driving Experience last week someone stalled a IS250. The cars were barely going above 50 Mph. When you are in the IS250 the car will constantly beep at you when it realizes that you are pushing it. I guess the guy pushed it too much and it just stalled in the middle of autocross lol.

It would really suck if the same thing happens to the ISFs. I thought they were made to compete against the M3

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #63
VonSwoopington
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 e90

Quote:
Watching the episode right now. It is on!
Don't have SPEED channel . Someone live stream!

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 09:08 PM   #64
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Tanner's sandbagging just because he owns an M3...lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 09:16 PM   #65
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Pretty close match so far but M3 is still up 2-0
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 09:25 PM   #66
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada