BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Lux Angel Eyes

05-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #1
Brian_Fantana
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Alpine white E90 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Speeders Waze app Review

I was on a plane reading this article from Car and Driver earlier today and I thought it was worth sharing. The author Ezra Dyer has some brass balls.

Waze Review
      05-28-2015, 05:15 PM   #2
kevin///mlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

I generally don't speed but Waze is very helpful for spotting cops and other hazards. I can also honk at my friends who are driving at the same time as I am
      05-28-2015, 06:51 PM   #3
jdamore
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Depends where you live really. Here in NJ, there is thousands of Wazers on the road during the day. At night, there is a better chance of warnings not being there when you need them.

There are times when you drive through the middle of "bumble-fuck" with no cell service so users aren't able to post. 80-90% of the time, there was a Wazer who already drove that road within the last 10-15 minutes so you are good to go!

Waze is awesome. It's "social mapping". Couple that with a radar detector and you can ease over the speed limit with out worries. Definitely a must have app specially if you drive professionally or travel a lot

Not to mention the traffic updates. It actually verbally tells you how long to expect to be delayed in traffic and gives you an indicator bar of your progress through it.
      05-28-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
Brian_Fantana
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamore
Depends where you live really. Here in NJ, there is thousands of Wazers on the road during the day. At night, there is a better chance of warnings not being there when you need them.

There are times when you drive through the middle of "bumble-fuck" with no cell service so users aren't able to post. 80-90% of the time, there was a Wazer who already drove that road within the last 10-15 minutes so you are good to go!

Waze is awesome. It's "social mapping". Couple that with a radar detector and you can ease over the speed limit with out worries. Definitely a must have app specially if you drive professionally or travel a lot

Not to mention the traffic updates. It actually verbally tells you how long to expect to be delayed in traffic and gives you an indicator bar of your progress through it.
That's got to be pretty annoying loosing reception. I'm in sales and drive around 40k per year but get annoyed with the battery drain and constant warnings from waze. Plus I don't have enough faith to tests its accuracy. Cops here in the NW are pretty good about not stopping you if your 9 mph over the limit so I normally stay south of there. I've found my biggest friend is cruise control.

If cops were smart they'd just screw with that app and post cop warnings everywhere thus making it wildly inaccurate. Perhaps waze won't allow that though.
      05-28-2015, 07:34 PM   #5
kevin///mlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Fantana View Post
That's got to be pretty annoying loosing reception. I'm in sales and drive around 40k per year but get annoyed with the battery drain and constant warnings from waze. Plus I don't have enough faith to tests its accuracy. Cops here in the NW are pretty good about not stopping you if your 9 mph over the limit so I normally stay south of there. I've found my biggest friend is cruise control.

If cops were smart they'd just screw with that app and post cop warnings everywhere thus making it wildly inaccurate. Perhaps waze won't allow that though.
"Numerous police departments have filed complaints with Google, Waze’s owner, on the specious grounds that officers are imperiled when the citizenry knows the whereabouts of their marked cruisers on public highways. And Miami police have even taken to churlish retribution, logging false locations to taint the data."

...From the article you posted
      05-28-2015, 07:52 PM   #6
Brian_Fantana
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin///mlee
Quote:

"Numerous police departments have filed complaints with Google, Waze’s owner, on the specious grounds that officers are imperiled when the citizenry knows the whereabouts of their marked cruisers on public highways. And Miami police have even taken to churlish retribution, logging false locations to taint the data."

Right, must have missed that part.
      05-28-2015, 08:20 PM   #7
maloo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin///mlee View Post

I thought I read somewhere that the cops in Miami eventually gave up on doing that after a few weeks. It was more of a short protest. Because the app is self correcting by the user base posting false information is futile. Legitimate waze users will greatly out number cops in major cities.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 08:39 PM   #8
w0ady
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I love Waze. I haven't moved my radar detector over to the M because I depend solely on Wave for long trips. However, I would say both would be even more helpful.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic273443_2.gif
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 09:35 PM   #9
jdamore
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maloo View Post
I thought I read somewhere that the cops in Miami eventually gave up on doing that after a few weeks. It was more of a short protest. Because the app is self correcting by the user base posting false information is futile. Legitimate waze users will greatly out number cops in major cities.
I was just going to say; as soon as someone drives by and there is no longer the police, vehicle on the side of the road, or what ever was reported, it is removed instantly when someone gives it a "not there".

As far as reliabilty, its just like a rader detector.. sometimes its real and sometime not. It is down to the minute accurate during rush hour times.

Technology is cool
      05-28-2015, 10:08 PM   #10
w0ady
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamore View Post
I was just going to say; as soon as someone drives by and there is no longer the police, vehicle on the side of the road, or what ever was reported, it is removed instantly when someone gives it a "not there".

As far as reliabilty, its just like a rader detector.. sometimes its real and sometime not. It is down to the minute accurate during rush hour times.

Technology is cool
Man that's the one thing I wish I could do, run Waze on my Nav screen.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic273443_2.gif
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 11:34 PM   #11
admranger
Curmudgeon
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3, 2011 M3, 2016 X5 40e

Waze rocks. I use it all,the time. It even points out potholes or disabled vehicles so you can change lanes.

Good stuff!

'16 X5 40e, Mineral White/Black Dakota Leather, ZLL, ZCW, ZDA, ZDB, ZPP, multi contour seats, HK
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 11:50 PM   #12
Brian_Fantana
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdamore
Quote:
Originally Posted by maloo View Post

Technology is cool
Woah, what's going on here? Is that the app on your Idrive?
      05-29-2015, 12:50 AM   #13
8k3
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Woah, what's going on here? Is that the app on your Idrive?
Yes, he has android running in his car. Has a nice thread on it
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 09:02 AM   #14
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M3

I live in a country where radar detectors are unfortunately illegal.

You can buy / sell them, but to have them installed in your vehicle is against the law.

Waze is quite unpopular here, but there is an alternative waze-like app.

During peak hours there are roughly 100k people online. In a country with a population of roughly 40million. Not bad! I have seen it climb as high as 120k during long weekend return home time.

Its quite popular with the truckers who use it to avoid inspections, which are quite common here.

Of course, all the photo radars (booths) are stored in there too.

And last but not least the owning company of the app makes a stand alone device. That's what I have installed where my ash tray used to be.

It has saved me more then once. I don't drive dangerously, but on the highway 10 or 20km over the speed limit on an empty road is acceptable in my opinion.
07.07 Production E92 M3 :: Akrapovic XPipe + Rear End | BPMTune Stage 2 Tune | 3M 1080 Metallic Blue Wrap | Black BBS CH-R's | Michellin Pilot Super Sports | Performance Steering Wheel v2.0 | FLA Retrofit | CIC+Combox Retrofit | OEM Carbon Splitters | CF Gills | OEM Black Gloss Grills | MS-8 DSP + HD900/5 Amplifier + JL Audio 12" | LCI Tails Retrofit | Ultimate Clutch Pedal + Clutch Stop | Leatherz M5 Weighted Shift Knob | Much more...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 10:05 PM   #15
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [3.75]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
I use it when I drive to Vegas and it has definitely pinpointed a lot of police along the way. Thanks for sharing the article!

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0