BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

02-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #23
drburton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Alpine

Could you install stop techs up front then move the oem fronts to the rear. Haven't heard any one do this but sounds like an interesting cost effective solution.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #24
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton View Post
Could you install stop techs up front then move the oem fronts to the rear. Haven't heard any one do this but sounds like an interesting cost effective solution.
I know the front and rear rotors have different size mounting bolts. If I remember correctly the rear mounting bolts are smaller than the fronts.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #25
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapopa9 View Post
I know the front and rear rotors have different size mounting bolts. If I remember correctly the rear mounting bolts are smaller than the fronts.
Yup. Competely different mounting design. Plus the rear brake disc has an integrated drum for the e brake.
      02-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #26
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
To me, safety always comes first. Yes, it's an investment initially, but compared to your $60k M3 and, most importantly, being able to go home safely to your family at the end of the day, it's the smart thing to do.
Richard, what is being implied here? Not trying to be argumentative, but are you saying that one can't safely participate in track days without a bbk?

I'm in a similar situation as OP. Intermediate driver, was planning on fluid, stainless lines and pads. Hard to believe that these measures won't get me home to the family in one piece..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 02:48 AM   #27
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Have to say it depends on the track. One weekend at road America fried my stock rotors with upgraded pads, lines and fluids. Think he's just saying that if you start getting serious and press the car it's better to be safe than sorry, that's all. In the risky business of tracking our babies I think it's a invaluable mod and I don't leave home without it
      02-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #28
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

I think that what all are advising is to consider brakes at the top of the pecking order. I run at VIR which is a little more friendly to brakes than some other tracks, and I am confortable with what I have done. Now, if I were to resume my past track schedule, i.e. The Glen, Road Atlanta, Mid Ohio, I would rethink my car config and most likely would change to a larger and more agressive brake system. That said, I do think that you would be perfectly fine with less provide you respect what you have and try not to abuse it. Like a turn at the track, in slow, out fast. Begin you track experience slow, learn your car and your own ability, then change as needed to GO fast.
Good luck. HPDEs are fun.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #29
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

Picked up the St-40 kit with 4 pistons front and rear (thanks Richard) because I wanted to run the OEM 18" without a spacer and the 6piston would not fit. So far I've been very impressed with the setup. As said above, it may be a little overkill for 20min DE sessions but it's certainly a setup you can "grow into". So later if you want to start TT etc you're good to go. Also - instead of just spending money on consumables you do end up with a kit you can resell, if need be.
2012 - 5.2L R8 v10, 6MT
2011 - 4.0L E92 M3, 6MT

Last edited by Malakas; 02-04-2012 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #30
Modena NYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

A few questions as I too am experienced and will be running my e90 this year.

1) with the stoptechs can you really use the pad for track and street? Seems tough to believe. I mean do stock stoptech pads on stoptech kit > pagid yellows on stock calipers?

2) for those who run on stock suspension, I imagine you run max camber up front (pulled pins). What about adding Dinan camber fixed plate? Trying to avoid rolling over on thenshoulders too much up front. Square setup I guess would help but trying to see whatbothers are doing.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #31
kaiv
IG: limited.slip
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 in a 325i Touring body!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena NYC View Post

1) with the stoptechs can you really use the pad for track and street? Seems tough to believe. I mean do stock stoptech pads on stoptech kit > pagid yellows on stock calipers?

2) for those who run on stock suspension, I imagine you run max camber up front (pulled pins). What about adding Dinan camber fixed plate? Trying to avoid rolling over on thenshoulders too much up front. Square setup I guess would help but trying to see whatbothers are doing.

1) IMHO they are perfectly fine. It won't give you the stopping power of all out race pads but they work very well for what they are. I never faded or boiled the fluid on my ST40 front+rear kit on my E46 M3.

Then it depends on your driving style. I like to brake hard and late but I never drag or ride the brakes for too long.
But then some people manage to fade anything though

2)IMHO I believe you need some more serious camber plates as neither pulling the pins nor the Dinan plates will give you enough negative camber for hard track use.

Last edited by kaiv; 02-04-2012 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: grammar -_-
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #32
Slapshot9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 JzB 6MT

Hawk HP Plus performed very well. Very good bite, no fade, and little wear including rotors after six 25 min sessions today. Almost as good as single purpose Hawk Blues that I have used in the past. I also drove two days on the street prior and they performed better than stock when slightly warm. One good hard brake with bring them up to temp. They are noisy only when you come to the end of your stop.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #33
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3

Quote:

Yes. In 100F Texas summers, my engine would overheat before my brakes do. I've also had pro drivers run continuous laps in my car, and they never had any issues running the Street Performance pads.
      02-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #34
MotrsportM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E30/E36/E46/E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard@M-World View Post
To me, safety always comes first. Yes, it's an investment initially, but compared to your $60k M3 and, most importantly, being able to go home safely to your family at the end of the day, it's the smart thing to do.
+1
      02-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #35
Modena NYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post
1) IMHO they are perfectly fine. It won't give you the stopping power of all out race pads but they work very well for what they are. I never faded or boiled the fluid on my ST40 front+rear kit on my E46 M3.

Then it depends on your driving style. I like to brake hard and late but I never drag or ride the brakes for brake for too long.
Then some people manage to fade anything though

2)IMHO I believe you need some more serious camber plates as neither pulling the pin nor the Dinan plates will give you enough negative camber for hard track use.
I know i'll need more camber up front for sure...but its still my only DD and family car, so i can't go nuts right now with suspension and camber (but next year i will)

I'd like to get a set of Volks for track use, but they only come in 9.5 or 10.5 and no 18x10 which seems to be the magic ticket for square usage.

Anyway - thanks for the feedback on the stoptech pads that come with the kit. Not having to change pads is also a HUGE thing for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #36
kaiv
IG: limited.slip
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 in a 325i Touring body!

Quote:
I know i'll need more camber up front for sure...but its still my only DD and family car, so i can't go nuts right now with suspension and camber (but next year i will)

I'd like to get a set of Volks for track use, but they only come in 9.5 or 10.5 and no 18x10 which seems to be the magic ticket for square usage.

Anyway - thanks for the feedback on the stoptech pads that come with the kit. Not having to change pads is also a HUGE thing for me.

Car is my DD and I run over -3 in the front

Agreed with the not having to swap pads point. Granted it's extremely easy to swap them on the Stoptechs, it's still a great convenience not having to. That and the Stoptech pads are super cheap too.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #37
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post
Car is my DD and I run over -3 in the front

Agreed with the not having to swap pads point. Granted it's extremely easy to swap them on the Stoptechs, it's still a great convenience not having to. That and the Stoptech pads are super cheap too.
This was also a big factor for me. I'm extremely satisfied with the Street Performance pads. My car is also a DD and I too run -3 in the front.

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Previous: 2009 E90 M3
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #38
Slapshot9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 JzB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
There was a complaint a whle back that Hawks eat up rotors. I use Hawk Gold H10s on my 525 and am very pleased with them and have had no issues, but I went with PF for the E92 due to earlier reports. Would be very interested in your results with the Hawks. Thanks.
vz
After 2.5hrs of track time at PBIR this past Saturday, I must say I am impressed with the Hawk HP Plus pads. I would say 80% of a Hawk Blue performance with the added convenience of street duty. Very little wear on pads and rotors. Good bite, and no fade. The noise on the street has lessened after track duty, very little as a matter of fact. I would recommend them and buy them again.
Appreciate 0