BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

EXXEL Distributions

06-20-2011, 11:28 AM   #1
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS / iX 50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2 HPDE's later

I think I have finally been converted into a track rat.

After one M Club day at the BMW Performance Center and three 20 minute sessions in my own car at Summit Point's Jefferson Circuit- I think I am ready to start driving on the main circuits.

I can't begin to explain how my point of view has changed after these HPDE's

On a race track, speed is all about momentum, technique, and smoothness.
I had a great instructor that made me realize that downshifting and revving at high rpms around the corner (before and after) just slowed me down; I also learned that the most momentum comes from the mid RPM range and from allowing the car to "track-out" at the end of the turn.

I also realized that down shifting to second gear after a corner did noting but stress the car and loose momentum- certainly downshifting did feel faster, but really, it wasn't. I noticed this on the passing lanes when following several turbo cars that would drop to 2nd gear, shoot flames, and still would not pull away from me as I stayed in 3rd gear the entire time.

My favorite part was seeing the sloppy lines of the cars in front of me as the M3 so effortlessly closed the gap by minimizing the distance from apex to apex.

Anyone else car to share their "lessons leaned" from their beginner experiences on the race tracks?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
snowmants
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06S2K,'11EVO,'11Jeep,'13GL450

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
Uh oh! Kiss your savings goodbye! You've caught the bug! Enjoy--it is so much fun... Try VIR also if you like summit. It is a world class track. I will be there at the NASA hpde end of July. I just track the Nissan in my avatar though.
'06 Honda S2000 #555 TT5
'16 Porsche GT4
Appreciate 0