BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

BPM

09-17-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
NFAM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Why Doesn't Everyone Do European Delivery?

I just wondered why doesn't EVERYONE do the European Delivery considering the HUGE discount you get on the car? It more than pays for flying to Germany and flying back. Even if you stay for two days, the discount is unbelievable. Everyone should contact David Aviles in my opinion, or whoever they think would give them the best deal.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFAM3 View Post
I just wondered why doesn't EVERYONE do the European Delivery considering the HUGE discount you get on the car? It more than pays for flying to Germany and flying back. Even if you stay for two days, the discount is unbelievable. Everyone should contact David Aviles in my opinion, or whoever they think would give them the best deal.
The same can be asked about why doesn't EVERYONE do the Mambo.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
MDSKIER
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' M3 E92

Timing is an issue for me so I will be doing a PCD.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Want the car in the US ASAP and can't take time off work right now.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #5
linuxd00d
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
I was asking myself the same question. Even if you don't care about the touristic component, a 48hr turn and burn can net you $2,500 in savings easy.

I'm thinking (mostly guessing) the main reason are:
- dealers don't advertise it much because they make less $ on the sale
- a lot of Americans are intimidated by travel outside of the US and its nearby colonies (Canada, Cancun, Cabo) ;-)
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 10:54 PM   #6
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Not wanting to wait 6 weeks for the cars to hit stateside again?
      09-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #7
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Not wanting to wait 6 weeks for the cars to hit stateside again?
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 11:37 PM   #8
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

We have seen these types of threads before, and it typically boils down to two main points:

A) Can't take time off work. Seems a bit strange to me, as anyone with income supporting a new BMW would (seemingly) be able to take off work for 1-2 weeks at his/her choosing.

B) Don't want to wait for redelivery. Also a bit perplexing to me. Although waiting is no fun, is the penalty really that rough considering you get to actually go to Bavaria where your car came from and get to experience a trip you'll never forget? Is six weeks without the car really that huge of an inconvenience?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 01:01 AM   #9
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
A) Can't take time off work. Seems a bit strange to me, as anyone with income supporting a new BMW would (seemingly) be able to take off work for 1-2 weeks at his/her choosing.
Don't know what you do SamS, but some of us are highly paid because were responsible for/to clients, patients, our company, our employees, etc. Taking 2 weeks off to drive around Europe at any given time of year is sometimes not possible.

And there's the issue of family. Some of us aren't crazy about pulling the kids out of school for a week or two in the middle of the school year. Or coordinating our random two week vacation with the spouse's job too.

And BTW, some of us spend plenty of time in Europe, so while going to the Welt would be cool, traveling in Europe isn't that special ...

Quote:
B) Don't want to wait for redelivery. Also a bit perplexing to me. Although waiting is no fun, is the penalty really that rough considering you get to actually go to Bavaria where your car came from and get to experience a trip you'll never forget? Is six weeks without the car really that huge of an inconvenience?
Yes, it is. I want my car NOW. Of all people, people on here should understand the desire to drive the car ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 03:28 AM   #10
captainbarky
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 m3

I have a baby on the way, it's a timing issue. Euro delivery sounds cool but it wouldn't save me money for the time I'd have to take off work and for the cost of taking time off, I rather spend it with the baby.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 08:25 AM   #11
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
Don't know what you do SamS, but some of us are highly paid because were responsible for/to clients, patients, our company, our employees, etc. Taking 2 weeks off to drive around Europe at any given time of year is sometimes not possible.

And there's the issue of family. Some of us aren't crazy about pulling the kids out of school for a week or two in the middle of the school year. Or coordinating our random two week vacation with the spouse's job too.

And BTW, some of us spend plenty of time in Europe, so while going to the Welt would be cool, traveling in Europe isn't that special ...
Don't you take off a week (straight) every year for some type of normal vacation? I'm not taking off two weeks in a row, and a lot of people just make it a M-F trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
Yes, it is. I want my car NOW. Of all people, people on here should understand the desire to drive the car ASAP.
Trust me, I want the car "now" just as bad as anyone. I don't mind waiting a few months for a car custom-built to my specs, and the experience to pick it up. But I can see that is not the case for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbarky View Post
I have a baby on the way, it's a timing issue. Euro delivery sounds cool but it wouldn't save me money for the time I'd have to take off work and for the cost of taking time off, I rather spend it with the baby.
I can relate to this. My daughter was born last November, and we were planning ED even at that time. We're ultimately taking her with us, but there is a that ~3 year window of pregnancy/toddler age where traveling with your newest family member poses unique challenge.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #12
Brn2Drive
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

The ED program is a great deal, it just takes some planning to make it work for your lifestyle.

I'm doing a ED trip next month, flying out on a direct flight Wed night and returning the following Monday (3 days off work in total!). Also, using frequent flyer miles for the trip (double win!)

As for the time to wait for the car to return, I have other cars to drive, Also, If I ordered the car through the regular process I would still have to wait, just not as long.

ED is the way to go!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #13
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Here are some other observations I've made over the time I've spent reading here, and elsewhere on the web:

1) Everyone who has done ED, has really enjoyed it.
2) Many people who chose not to do ED (or didn't know about it) vow to rectify with next BMW purchase.

Since my situation allowed for it, ED was really the only option. But, it does take a ton of planning, and patience is helpful
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 11:11 AM   #14
NFAM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

But even if you didn't have the time, or didn't care about going to Europe, you save so much money. You can honestly fly in on a Friday, get the delivery Saturday morning and leave the car there and fly out Saturday night, and save money. And if you hate the waiting for the car, plan it accordingly. Take your trip six weeks before you get rid of your current one. I saved $10,000 off bmwusa price. That's a lot.
      09-18-2011, 11:45 AM   #15
bruza
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 M5 & '06 Volvo S60 R

I'm scheduled for ED November 21. I pushed it back as late as possible to take advantage of company holidays during Thanksgiving (only using 3 PTO days on this trip). I had my deposit out late July. I can definitely say the wait is taking a lot of patience esp since the car won't be here in WA until Jan/ Feb.

Can't fault anyone though since I set up the schedule. It will be well worth the wait though.

I'm sure others who don't do ED, probably just don't want to wait 2-3 months for final delivery. We'll see if this is something I do again. The thought of an M3 personalized to my spec is enticing. I considered waiting until next spring and picking up a used one but ED kept calling.

2021 M5 Competition Marina Bay Blue/ Individual Tartufo/ Individual Piano Black Trim. Took delivery 11/27/2020
2017 X5 ///M Silverstone/Mugello Red/ Carbon Fiber Trim Turned in 11/27/2020
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 11:55 AM   #16
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
?..I saved $10,000 off bmwusa price. That's a lot.
but how much will you spend on tickets and hotels and other travel expenses?
I saved $6500 off the bmwusa price and I didn't have to travel half way across the world.
      09-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #17
MDSKIER
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
but how much will you spend on tickets and hotels and other travel expenses?
I saved $6500 off the bmwusa price and I didn't have to travel half way across the world.
That's the point. You can use the money saved to drive around Europe with your significant other.

Maybe you missed his pictures.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #18
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSKIER View Post
That's the point. You can use the money saved to drive around Europe with your significant other.

Maybe you missed his pictures.
Problem is there is more to it that just that
Yes I'd love to spend time with my significant other in Europe
But germany is not where I'd like to go
And sure I can go other places, but that involves most of my vacation being driving time, during break in time, the least fun time to be driving a car.
I'd like to go to Italy, or Spain, but means I'd have to waste several days getting there with associated expenses etc
Yes it's a vacation, but there are too many constraints to make it fun
And to the wife, this vacation will always be about the car.
Not about her, and trust me, that will make the vacation a little less fun
The married folks here will understand.
      09-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #19
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, Sold:'11 e92 M3 SG/FR

Garage List
Here's another angle...

Do all or most of your break-in miles in Europe. Then when you take re-delivery in the states you wont have to drive the car like a neutered choir boy.

Compared to Audi & Porsche, BMW is only prestige mfg to have an financially attractive ED program. I can't imagine buying another new BMW and without doing ED again.

So much win!!!
      09-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #20
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I would pay 2500 extra to not have to sit on a plane that long for a 48 hour turn and burn as it was put. If I was to do it would need to stay quite a while to make it worth it for me. In my case I can't get ED on a used car either.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #21
BoomM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 Coupe

An interesting discussion- It all comes down to vacation time and how you like to spend your money.The only scenario where you really save a lot of money is if you pay cash (no financing whatsoever)when purchasing the car through ED (especially if you do the whole leave on friday back on saturday...even better if you have airmiles to burn)-which will ease your suffering if/when you decide to sell the car. If you finance your purchase you're more than likely going to to end up paying close to MSRP in the long-term, especially if you end up driving through europe for a bit.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #22
NFAM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I used my AMEX miles for the flights so didn't spend money there. And I'm married too brother. My wife and I had a great time. It wasn't all about my car. We visited Germany, Vienna and Salzburg. We visited castles, ate at great restaurants, shopped, drank, etc... I got to drive on the autobahn, went 140mph legally. And I still didn't really spend too much money. My wife and I had never been to Europe. We did it the right way. We stayed 2 weeks and really enjoyed ourselves. You don't know what you're missing until you try it. And once you try it, you're hooked.