BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-15-2008, 07:21 AM   #23
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Even if you never have to use it, buying track day insurance gives you some peace of mind and allows you to enjoy yourself a little more, especially if you're tracking your daily driver.
      10-15-2008, 07:24 AM   #24
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
or just have a tow truck ready to get your wrecked car onto a road...
Do you not think there would be someone with either a camera or camcorder at the track and your wreck not end up on YOUTUBE.

Best do a trackday right or not at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 09:07 AM   #25
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaay11 View Post
Okay, I'm sure we've discussed this but humor me since I have not seen it here.

I've read several times the advice that "if you don't plan to track the M3, then purchase a 335." So.....how many of you own a M3 and have not placed it on a track? I know the car begs for a track but I'm wondering how many of you use it as a touring, non-track car. Is it worth the investment (or would you advise against the purchase) if you don't plan to race the car.....your opinion?
I plan to track it at least twice a year. Perhaps some autocross as well - depends if the course design is fun. Free time is the issue with me.

Where I live, there are tremendous driving roads everywhere, so track vs. no track doesn't seem like a test that applies.

I haven't driven the 335 but will be specifically requesting it at my 1200 mi service so I can check it out.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 11:49 AM   #26
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Add a poll if you can

I've tracked mine and must say it is a completely different animal and totally comes to life!! This car is AMAZING on the track
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 10:33 PM   #27
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Some of them say they do, but when faced with a major claim, funny things happen. Some of them flat out say no.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152124

There is info on where to get insurance here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156969

Several track day organizations have links to their website, so they must be legit. I use them. There are no run off areas at my local track and even a minor spin can result in major damage.
Thanks Lucid for the links and info, much appreciated. As you can tell I am a novice to the track, because up until recently I was to busy spending money on my education and then getting my business off the ground. Now its time to spend it on frivolous items like expensive cars and track days

I just want to soak up as much info as possible and get as much track time in next season as possible (snows here in the east so track season about over until April).

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 03:26 PM   #28
enigma
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise

Quote:

I've read several times the advice that "if you don't plan to track the M3, then purchase a 335." So.....how many of you own a M3 and have not placed it on a track? I know the car begs for a track but I'm wondering how many of you use it as a touring, non-track car. Is it worth the investment (or would you advise against the purchase) if you don't plan to race the car.....your opinion?
I already have a track car, had no intention of taking the M3 to the track. bought it anyway because its what I wanted.
      10-16-2008, 05:37 PM   #29
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
What makes the M3 great is it's a great daily driver and a great track car. It excels in both forums.
      10-16-2008, 05:37 PM   #30
m3larson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran C 1997 M3 Track C

Quote:

TRACK IT TRACK IT TRACK IT.. Its the most fun you will have with your pants on.

I don't i understand anyone that would not. You buy the car because you are a fan and you don't use it? If your worried about the money then they can't afford the car anyway. They should just go back to the dealer and say, "sorry I made a mistake. My vagina doesn't fit in this car."
      10-16-2008, 05:44 PM   #31
enigma
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3larson View Post
I don't i understand anyone that would not. You buy the car because you are a fan and you don't use it? If your worried about the money then they can't afford the car anyway. They should just go back to the dealer and say, "sorry I made a mistake. My vagina doesn't fit in this car."
In my case it would be about 3x the cost of my other car and not faster or more fun..

You will never see me tell someone not to track an M3. You might hear me warn them about the brakes and soft suspension.

The M3 is a trackable car, not a track car.
      10-16-2008, 05:47 PM   #32
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
How much? Who supplies it?....info, info, info

Also, I was told that if its classified as a HPDE course, then your regular insurance does cover it?.....sounds not right to me, but wanted to confirm.
Most insurance plans exclude any events on a track used for racing. There are exceptions such as Liberty Mutual. I am thinking about changing.
      10-16-2008, 05:59 PM   #33
C17MooseDriver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Plan on using it as my DD. No real plans on tracking it. Maybe once or twice for fun but that's about it.
      10-16-2008, 06:25 PM   #34
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3larson View Post
TRACK IT TRACK IT TRACK IT.. Its the most fun you will have with your pants on.

I've tracked mine 4 days so far and I agree with "Its the most fun you will have with your pants on", however I have to disagree with this justification. Just because I can afford to buy a M3 doesn't mean I can afford to throw that same money away if I pack it into a guardrail at 100 mph without insurance since I'm on the track.

I love tracking my new M3, however I am considering buying a track only car so that I don't have to buy track insurance every time I go to a track day and add significant cost to track weekends.
      10-16-2008, 07:09 PM   #35
richardg
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MacanGTS, 991.2GT3, E63wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojorisinM3 View Post
I normally track all my cars however this one's a little expensive for me to mess up. Maybe after I've owned it a couple years...
LOL yeah man we can do waterford hills come next spring
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 08:04 PM   #36
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
In my case it would be about 3x the cost of my other car and not faster or more fun..

You will never see me tell someone not to track an M3. You might hear me warn them about the brakes and soft suspension.

The M3 is a trackable car, not a track car.
The M3, in stock form, is not a track car; but I would hardly call the suspension "soft" with EDC set to the most aggressive setting.

I plan on swapping the fluid and pads before taking it to the track.
Appreciate 0