BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

09-02-2016, 10:48 AM   #1
BigRussia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Clicking sound from front wheel only when braking/turning right?

Since last weekend my car has a very noticeable clicking/rattling sound coming from the front driver side wheel area, but only when getting on the brakes or turning right. I hear it under light braking and when turning right its much louder and noticeable. I don't hear it while rolling in a straight line or turning left... as soon as I start turning the steering wheel right the clicking starts. I've searched the forum but I dont think its a wheel bearing since its not happening in every situation and dont feel any vibration. I've inspected the wheel area but i dont see anything rubbing or contacting.

Heres a video, im turning right in circles in a empty parking lot, straighten out and brake at the end. Notice is fades away when i straighten out, then comes back as i slow to a stop.

Any ideas where to start looking? Thanks!
      09-02-2016, 11:14 AM   #2
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

make sure your lug bolts are tight. it's always the simple things first.
      09-02-2016, 11:50 AM   #3
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Yeah I actually had the wheel off this weekend and made extra sure to hand tighten all the way with it off the ground so its flush against the hub, then torqued to 88lb/ft when put the car down. So that shouldnt be the case, also why would it only happen when braking or turning right and no other time?
      09-02-2016, 02:53 PM   #4
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRussia
Quote:
Yeah I actually had the wheel off this weekend and made extra sure to hand tighten all the way with it off the ground so its flush against the hub, then torqued to 88lb/ft when put the car down. So that shouldnt be the case, also why would it only happen when braking or turning right and no other time?
Maybe because of load transfer? It's happened to me before and my lugs were a little loose. Did you check them again?
      09-02-2016, 04:00 PM   #5
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

BR - It can't hurt to pull the wheel off, clean the mating surface with a wire brush, and retorque the wheel. To be honest, it doesn't sound like the ticking noise I've experienced with loose lugs (albeit on a 135i). Your noise sounds different to me, and less rhythmic than a loose lug nut. The loose lug nut sound was a constant tick,tick,tick,tick, etc., and speed sensitive. Your sound is tick-a-tick, tick-a-tick, tick-a-tick, etc. In addition, I only heard the lug nuts when turning, not when braking.

1) Did you do anything other than pull the wheel off the last time you were in there? For example, did you mess with the brakes, wheel speed sensor, etc.?

2) Are you running OEM wheels? Spacers?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 04:14 PM   #6
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Maybe because of load transfer? It's happened to me before and my lugs were a little loose. Did you check them again?
Yeah you may be right about the load transfer. That would be strange if it is the lugs, I checked them a day or two ago which is after the clicking happened. Both fronts wheels lugs are torqued right at 88lb ft.

Last edited by BigRussia; 09-02-2016 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 06:50 PM   #7
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

I took a look with the driver front wheel off (lugs were still nice and tight) while turning the steering wheel and I think i found where the clicking is coming from (but not 100% sure if it's the same clicking). Looks to be coming from the top of the strut/shock by around the bump stop. When I jerk the steering wheel I hear the clicks. I sprayed the area with WD-40 but didnt help, it still clicks! In the below video you can see it's pretty loud. Is this a common issue and what exactly is clicking? How can I resolve it? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
BR - It can't hurt to pull the wheel off, clean the mating surface with a wire brush, and retorque the wheel. To be honest, it doesn't sound like the ticking noise I've experienced with loose lugs (albeit on a 135i). Your noise sounds different to me, and less rhythmic than a loose lug nut. The loose lug nut sound was a constant tick,tick,tick,tick, etc., and speed sensitive. Your sound is tick-a-tick, tick-a-tick, tick-a-tick, etc. In addition, I only heard the lug nuts when turning, not when braking.

1) Did you do anything other than pull the wheel off the last time you were in there? For example, did you mess with the brakes, wheel speed sensor, etc.?

2) Are you running OEM wheels? Spacers?
Hey sorry I didnt see your post! Yeah the only thing I did when I had the front wheels off (OEM GTS) before the clicking happened was install new 12mm spacers, which yeah would seem like a big detail but I had 15mm spacer right before these (same brand too) and didnt have this clicking. And only the front left wheel is clicking, not the right front as well. I'm also very OCD with cleaning the hubs, making sure the surfaces are all flush, using anti-seize, etc. I don't think its the spacers or lugs since like you said its not speed sensitive. I'm not 100% sure the clanking sound in the 2nd video from the top of the strut is the same sound im hearing when driving but im thinking it has to be?

Last edited by BigRussia; 09-02-2016 at 07:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 07:55 PM   #8
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

That sticking sound from the top mount is definately strange. I wonder if it could be the large diameter bearing inside the top mount that the spring rests on? The bearing is made of some type of plastic or nylon. Do you think the bearing was damaged when the car was lowered down off the jack/lift? You can see the bearing in Dinan's camber plate install instructions (figure 1).

http://files.dinancars.com/webresour...0d51c82c65.pdf
Appreciate 1
BigRussia152.00
      09-02-2016, 09:07 PM   #9
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Try to torque the bolts a little higher to 90 ft/lbs. I had the exact same clicking sound and thought it was the coilovers...somehow by tightening them it affects load transfer and sound went away. It is also at low speed turns and exactly the same, was left wheel only. Talked to TCKline about it and it happens when spring is not turning fully in the housing..there is some resistance and it has happened on their car on occasion and is fine. One way to mitigate is by using very well greased thrust sheets (you can also grease the top of the spring if you have stock suspension), but really the only thing that seemed to work for me was tightening the bolts to 92 ft/lbs (they are not stock bolts). Would try to 89-90 and see what happens. If you have aftermarket bolts and spacers it definitely can affect the way the load transfers in slow turns..I run a low offset wheel (20mm) which is basically like an 11mm spacer vs the standard ZCP 31mm offset.
Appreciate 1
BigRussia152.00
      09-02-2016, 09:43 PM   #10
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Thanks for all the advice guys, just took a spin and the initial clicking under braking and turning right is all but eliminated. So looks like was the lugs/spacer, I guess the new spacer wasn't sitting completely flush on the hub even though i had hand tightened all the way while up and then torqued to 88lb/ft when i first installed them. Now the clicking is almost completely gone, only faintly hear it under braking now and no more clicks while turning. Ill probably take the wheel off again and mallet around the spacer to make sure its absolutely flush and torque the extended lug bolts to 90lbs/ft as suggested.

That still leaves the strut clanking sound I discovered when turning the wheel, but i don't hear that while driving or with the car on. Maybe cause i was turning the wheel with the car off and no power to the steering rack?
      09-03-2016, 09:39 AM   #11
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRussia
Thanks for all the advice guys, just took a spin and the initial clicking under braking and turning right is all but eliminated. So looks like was the lugs/spacer, I guess the new spacer wasn't sitting completely flush on the hub even though i had hand tightened all the way while up and then torqued to 88lb/ft when i first installed them. Now the clicking is almost completely gone, only faintly hear it under braking now and no more clicks while turning. Ill probably take the wheel off again and mallet around the spacer to make sure its absolutely flush and torque the extended lug bolts to 90lbs/ft as suggested.

That still leaves the strut clanking sound I discovered when turning the wheel, but i don't hear that while driving or with the car on. Maybe cause i was turning the wheel with the car off and no power to the steering rack?
Haha told you! Jk

But yeah that strut action sounds a bit strange. Move it around and see if something is just hitting something.