BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

12-27-2010, 01:18 AM   #1
BlackPrince
Registered
Rep
Drives: none

Matte frozen paint as daily driver?

Hello everyone,
was @ BMW dealer, and saw an M3 w/ Frozen Grey paint and another w/ matte black paint. A friend who is a Porsche dealer later told me that those cars are difficult to maintain and would be impossible to own as daily drivers, not to mention BMW's apparently strict warranty requirements.

Anyone know if this is true? Or is it a load of BS?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 01:53 AM   #2
DiRTyDeLuX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 M3 ZCP ZCV ZP2

It is a load of BS.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

so what if you by the matter colors you have no warranty on paint?

Someone please chime in.. That's stupid as fuck if true.

Just buy the car and wrap it. I plan on doing so.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
so what if you by the matter colors you have no warranty on paint?

Someone please chime in.. That's stupid as fuck if true.

Just buy the car and wrap it. I plan on doing so.
I agree...its bullshit too!

I plan on getting a wrap on my car this coming spring...just confused what color?

(Matte black or GTS Orange...)
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

wrapping a painted matte gray car sounds kinda dumb. why not just get any other color cheaper and then wrap it? the finish is definitely not a daily driver type material. I would recommend getting something easier to maintain if you use it all the time.
      12-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
White Shark
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 Civic (Non-ZCP)

"BMW Frozen Gray M3 paint a pain, owners must sign agreement about its care?"

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/13/b...greement-abou/
      12-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #7
OC Dealman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' M6 Vert - Comp Package

I have one of the limited edition frozen gray cars that BMW released in the States. I try not to drive it too much as it is one of the anniversary cars and don't want to put too many miles on it. Yes, I did sign a paint waiver, but having had the car for nearly five months, I do not see too much difference from a normal paint. The waiver was to inform you that this is a different paint job and should be treated as such. You should not wax and should have it washed with a soap only wash with no wax additives. I am here in CA so, with the exeception of the last few weeks, weather is pretty mild and it is not a concern to have it being a daily driver. If your weather and roads are harsh, then I would not recommend.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell View Post
wrapping a painted matte gray car sounds kinda dumb. why not just get any other color cheaper and then wrap it? the finish is definitely not a daily driver type material. I would recommend getting something easier to maintain if you use it all the time.

yea, that's what i meant. Just buy a regular painted car, and wrap it.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Dealman View Post
I have one of the limited edition frozen gray cars that BMW released in the States. I try not to drive it too much as it is one of the anniversary cars and don't want to put too many miles on it. Yes, I did sign a paint waiver, but having had the car for nearly five months, I do not see too much difference from a normal paint. The waiver was to inform you that this is a different paint job and should be treated as such. You should not wax and should have it washed with a soap only wash with no wax additives. I am here in CA so, with the exeception of the last few weeks, weather is pretty mild and it is not a concern to have it being a daily driver. If your weather and roads are harsh, then I would not recommend.
Nice!
      12-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #10
Gkap
BMF Movement
Canada
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

the matte colors are harder to maintain. It can be a daily driver tho.
IMO for the extra cost for the matte color you might as well get a normal M color
and have your car wrapped in vinyl for WAY less.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #11
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

I would daily drive it but never in the snow/salty roads.

Also I would have a full frontal (up into the roof) clear bra put on. Saw one on a matte white gallardo and couldnt even see it. As a side note guess what the factory paint on that thing cost?

$26,000!
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2010, 03:13 AM   #12
motosan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Dealman View Post
Does the Matte paint actually make it easy by not needing a wash that frequently? In other words, how badly do dirt&dust impact the clean look of your frozen gray? Just curious...
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #13
OC Dealman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosan View Post
Does the Matte paint actually make it easy by not needing a wash that frequently? In other words, how badly do dirt&dust impact the clean look of your frozen gray? Just curious...
You have to get up pretty close in order to see if it is dirty, when it is dirty. So I guess the answer to your question is that it does make it a bit easier. However, because it is such an unusual color, it gets a lot of attention, so I feel the need to keep it clean all the time. I can not take it just anywhere for a cleaning, so in the end, it is more of a pain. The color is amazing in person.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #14
OC Dealman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastman View Post
I would daily drive it but never in the snow/salty roads.

Also I would have a full frontal (up into the roof) clear bra put on. Saw one on a matte white gallardo and couldnt even see it. As a side note guess what the factory paint on that thing cost?

$26,000!
You can not put a clear bra on it. It is really noticable on the Frozen Gray. It makes sense that it would not be noticable on White, not the case with the gray though. The premium paint color cost $4,900. Not sure where you came up with $26,000?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 01:38 PM   #15
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

Can the car be waxed at all? If not, I'd worry about the longevity of the paint.

It sounds like it's easier to maintain really. Dirt doesn't show as much and they tell you not to wax it
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #16
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
Can the car be waxed at all? If not, I'd worry about the longevity of the paint.

It sounds like it's easier to maintain really. Dirt doesn't show as much and they tell you not to wax it
No type of wax whatsoever. No soaps containing waxes or polish as well. I'm thinking a good soak of foamy car wash and light sponging is the only thing. My friend's E46 M3 was just recently painted with matte paint similar to frozen gray and it's actually smooth to the touch; it's a matte clear coat. Looks so good up close in real life.
      01-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #17
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

Dont see the big hype about these Matte Colors. Get it, and you will have to take two or three times the care of it than a normal paint job. The products will cost a lot more also, just get normal paint unless your buying this car for car shows...

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 12:17 AM   #18
49ER ROLL
///Mmm
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92 SG

just a FYI if you get a matte paint job or you want your paint now in matte finish...the clear bra companies (3m and others), some refer it as "frost." this product will take care of that matte paint you want protected or that paint that you want a matte finish on.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #19
Rshane
M-Flight Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkap View Post
the matte colors are harder to maintain. It can be a daily driver tho.
IMO for the extra cost for the matte color you might as well get a normal M color
and have your car wrapped in vinyl for WAY less.
True, but I think the folks who bought the frozen grey M3's bought the car because of the overall package (interior and exterior), and the fact it is a limited production/special edition car.

I have been looking at the matte wraps too...thinking of a flat Le Mans Blue and getting my ZCP wheels painted matte black.

2015 Audi S4 Prestige, Brilliant Black S-tronic
2012 Le Mans Blue 135i M Pkg DCT
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #20
Frozo
Not for show!
Rep
Drives: M3 special edition 30 Frozen

Care for frozen grey

I have owed my 1/30 frozen grey's for nearly one year now and can answer the following scaremongering;

1.Cant use wax or detailing products or even microfibre cloths: NOT TRUE!
Between my detailers bravery and his large indemnity policy, we have found the following products to cause no harm to the finish;
Swissvax Opaic car bath & wax. (the wax will leave a slight sheen to the finish which will dull down after the wax wears a little but it does not change the lustre and depth you get from the original finish)
Swissvax quick detailer.
Autobright Snowfoam
Car Pro Iron X (this was scary but worth it)
Microfibre cloths

2.Cant leave dead bug or bird crap for more than 24hrs; NOT TRUE!
Recently was forced to leave the car at an airport car park for two weeks in the baking sun, the car had one week old dead stuff and crap on it already. Was a mission to remove with two washes but more importantly, NO CORROSION!

3.Finger marks will eat in after 48hrs; NOT TRUE!
People are touching the car all the time (without me noticing) Never a problem

4.Frozen paints are hard to keep clean: NOT TRUE!
In fact the opposite. The finish hides swirl marks and dries very quickly

5.Frozen paints are prone to stone chipping; TRUE!
I live in rural England with narrow country roads covered in loose. Any car of this nature will be prone to frontal stone chips if driven properly!
The finish is softer than that of a regular clear coat. My advice is if this bothers you, then you shouldn’t be trying to afford something you clearly can’t.
As for bras and wrapping; Surly this is no different to buying a sofa and leaving on the plastic!?!?!

People are always critical of the things they don’t have or understand, boo to the frozen haters
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 08:19 AM   #21
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

Please don't feed the troll...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 08:19 AM   #22
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

if the paint is not made for daily driven cars, then why the hell would anyone buy it? It's made for daily drivers...geez.

The myth of the matte paint continues....
Appreciate 0