BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-28-2014, 08:23 PM   #23
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
In Rome...I think 2 full days is enough to see everything. They have bus lines (you'll see them, they are yellow, red, and green). You can get a 2 day pass on any of these for what I recall being around 8 to 10 dollars...and they only stop at the major sites. Passes are cheap, and it keeps you from walking all around and the buses come by often. For the tourist attractions, they have passes you can pre-order online (they also bypass all the long lines), but be careful of your arrival day, you cannot pick them up on a Sunday.

Florence, is not that big of a deal. Especially if you're not into museums (the Uffitzi isn't all what it's cracked up to be). Some nice churches for photos (the Duomo is one of my favorites all time) and the street side shopping if cool. But outside of that, not much to see. If you like to buy things (leather is big there) be prepared to drop some coin.

Paris is cool...careful of your belongings, my wife had her iphone stolen from there. Plenty of beggars...and people trying to sell you anything and everything. You'll see the same exact painting of the tower, that the person states they painted themselves...by 15 different peddlers. Favorite places, for some reason, seem to be the cafe's with the outdoor tables. Just seem really cool to sit back, relax, and do the cliche things.

Can't tell you much about Munich... I'll wait to hear from you on how that was.

I'll second the small towns (as listed above). My father-in-law lives in Abruzzo (on the Adriatic) and we have cousins that live up and down the east coast of Italy...my best times are always in small towns, especially when they have some sort of festival going on. My trip to Peru last week was much the same...falling on Puno's "Fiesta de la Candelaria" was an awesome time...if you look it up, there's always something going on somewhere. There was a Tartufare festival (Italian for truffles) in one small town in Italy that we went to...best time ever. Folks in these small town always embrace those around them...and make you feel very welcome.

I really hope you have a great time. Traveling is the best.
Awesome, thank you! I have been to Germany once before (for my last ED). I didn't get to travel around it much though. Hopefully this time around we'll be able to take in a bit more of Munich.

We have someone in our group that is big on museums so we'll see. I'm looking to cut out some things so we travel more leisurely instead of it being hectic with the constant shuffling around.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 09:30 PM   #24
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

If you do go to Rothenburg, take the Night Watchman tour. The guy is a riot and it's a good tour.

In Munich there is the Schloss Nymphenburg. Worth a walk around the grounds if it's a nice day. The tour isn't bad if you're ok with such things. Very near to the Schloss is The Poseidon, a great Greek restaurant. Good place to stop for lunch before you tour the Schloss.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 09:57 PM   #25
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
If you do go to Rothenburg, take the Night Watchman tour. The guy is a riot and it's a good tour.

In Munich there is the Schloss Nymphenburg. Worth a walk around the grounds if it's a nice day. The tour isn't bad if you're ok with such things. Very near to the Schloss is The Poseidon, a great Greek restaurant. Good place to stop for lunch before you tour the Schloss.
I'll definitely do the Watchman Tour. I have been to Rothenburg once before but this time I'm hoping to spend one night there.

BTW, would you guys recommend visiting Nurburgring? I mean we have some car enthusiasts with us. Is it something that is worth going out of the way for?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 08:33 AM   #26
italia
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars:German|Motorbikes:Italian

Rome, yes. Florence, not so much.

It's your trip, but if you're a gearhead, think about Bologna (Ducati factory), Sant'Agata Bolognese (Lamborghini factory), Maranello (Ferrari factory), San Cesario Sul Panaro (Pagani factory), Modena (Maserati factory).

The factories usually are adjacent to museums of each marque, along with gift shops.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #27
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by italia View Post
Rome, yes. Florence, not so much.

It's your trip, but if you're a gearhead, think about Bologna (Ducati factory), Sant'Agata Bolognese (Lamborghini factory), Maranello (Ferrari factory), San Cesario Sul Panaro (Pagani factory), Modena (Maserati factory).

The factories usually are adjacent to museums of each marque, along with gift shops.
I totally forgot about those museums so thank you for mentioning them! Hoever , I don't think we'll be able to see all of those places, maybe one out of all (perhaps Lamborghini).
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 11:12 AM   #28
italia
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
I totally forgot about those museums so thank you for mentioning them! Hoever , I don't think we'll be able to see all of those places, maybe one out of all (perhaps Lamborghini).
Nice choice. I don't think you'll be disappointed. http://www.lamborghini.com/en/museum/factory-visit/

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #29
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Bavaria is awesome - Some thoughts for a couple of days - Munich was just about flattened in WW2, so most of it is post-war, and there's not a lot to see, IMO. Head out to Salzburg - it's about 2 hrs southeast. There's an interesting marketplatz in the center, and the city is beautiful. Then head to the Eagle's Nest (Kehlsteinhaus) - it's in Berchtesgaden, up in the mountains. It has kind of a dark history, but the scenery is amazing, as is the house itself. Time permitting, you can also take the Jennerbahn nearby - it's a ski lift with open chairs - allow several hours. Head out from there to Linderhof Palace (about 2 hrs, I think). It was the country palace/estate of Mad King Luwig, and is the grandest of his grand castles. If that interests you (it does me), and if you plan to see Versailles near Paris, stop at the castle in HerrenChiemsee. It's on an island in the lake (the Chiemsee), and Ludwig built it as a mini-Versailles. You have to take a boat - allow several hours again. Head out again, and if you are still going east on your trip, you could swing by Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles (Neuschwanstein is the Disneyland castle). They are remarkable from the outside, so maybe not take the tours, but it's worth seeing from the outside.

All of this is driving through the Alps, with great places to eat and stay everywhere.

From there, you can head through Switzerland, and on into Paris. Sounds like a great trip, with a great souvenir!

EDIT: Just re-read your original post - you had Neuschwanstein on the list, so maybe this expands your Bavaria days. Also, I'd recommend Versailles - you can take a short train ride from Paris, and it's worth it.
      03-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #30
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
Bavaria is awesome - Some thoughts for a couple of days - Munich was just about flattened in WW2, so most of it is post-war, and there's not a lot to see, IMO. Head out to Salzburg - it's about 2 hrs southeast. There's an interesting marketplatz in the center, and the city is beautiful. Then head to the Eagle's Nest (Kehlsteinhaus) - it's in Berchtesgaden, up in the mountains. It has kind of a dark history, but the scenery is amazing, as is the house itself. Time permitting, you can also take the Jennerbahn nearby - it's a ski lift with open chairs - allow several hours. Head out from there to Linderhof Palace (about 2 hrs, I think). It was the country palace/estate of Mad King Luwig, and is the grandest of his grand castles. If that interests you (it does me), and if you plan to see Versailles near Paris, stop at the castle in HerrenChiemsee. It's on an island in the lake (the Chiemsee), and Ludwig built it as a mini-Versailles. You have to take a boat - allow several hours again. Head out again, and if you are still going east on your trip, you could swing by Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles (Neuschwanstein is the Disneyland castle). They are remarkable from the outside, so maybe not take the tours, but it's worth seeing from the outside.

All of this is driving through the Alps, with great places to eat and stay everywhere.

From there, you can head through Switzerland, and on into Paris. Sounds like a great trip, with a great souvenir!

EDIT: Just re-read your original post - you had Neuschwanstein on the list, so maybe this expands your Bavaria days. Also, I'd recommend Versailles - you can take a short train ride from Paris, and it's worth it.
Very cool. Thank you for the tips! I have been to a few of the places you mentioned before. However, I will have people with me that have never been. So I debated whether I should take them there or just go to places that I haven't been to. I think I will do the former (especially since Neuschwanstein is such a cool place).

I have always wanted to go visit Eagle's Nest though so thank you for reminding me of that. I'm just trying to fit in some main things that shouldn't be missed. Since Europe is so vast and we have so little time, I am trying to see some nice places (not all places) while still have time to take in Europe.

Also, does anyone know how insurance works on Nurburgring? I would love to do a lap there (not racing, just a nice lap) but was curious regarding coverage if someone hits me.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 02:13 PM   #31
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Ramsau is between Salzburg and Berchtesgaden if you're thinking of swinging through there. Pretty cool little village. Very scenic. (Obviously it's nighttime there now, but the image will update if you refresh.)

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #32
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

^ that is cool how is refreshes. Thank you for the recommendation. Btw, have you heard of Luberon in South France? Supposedly it's a pretty idyllic town.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 06:18 PM   #33
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
^ that is cool how is refreshes. Thank you for the recommendation. Btw, have you heard of Luberon in South France? Supposedly it's a pretty idyllic town.
Check it in about 6 hours. Sunrises are amazing in Ramsau.

I've only heard of Luberon in movies. ("Not some wimpy wine from Luberon!!") I've only been to Paris and through a bit of southeastern France on my way to the Costa Del Sol. And that was in the 80's, so totally irrelevant now. I'd love to spend some time in the French wine country, though.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 09:51 PM   #34
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
I've been to all and if you have to narrow it down to one, got to Lambo. The factory tour is amazing (book via email), and the museum is pretty complete. Ferrari is nice but you can't see anything inside the factory unless you own one and book through your dealer. Ducati is cool but I'm not super into bikes. It's probably the bike equivalent of Lambo if you love bikes.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 09:55 PM   #35
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR-NYC View Post
In two days?

I live in NYC where we walk 4-6 miles a day so walking in not an issue for us. It's balancing sightseeing with taking in the city. Not that its impossible but you would really have to walk pretty quickly to cover that much area and miss a lot in-between because you have to keep looking at a map
Two would be pushing it but three is easily doable. I'm not saying it's the best way to see Italy (because it's not) but if you want to see the main sites in a short stint, it can be done in three days on foot.

As others have said, the real Italy is outside of the cities.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 11:48 PM   #36
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Two would be pushing it but three is easily doable. I'm not saying it's the best way to see Italy (because it's not) but if you want to see the main sites in a short stint, it can be done in three days on foot.

As others have said, the real Italy is outside of the cities.
I understand that but my point was that Rome is not as walking friendly as Florence or Milan.

I wouldn't go as far as saying the "real" Italy is outside the city. Unless you know someone in the small towns of any country, most small European towns. are good for a quick lunch and then off to the next. In my opinion, there are way too many misses and not enough hits trying to find good ones on your own. I have an office in Locate Varesino, Italy. It's a cute little town with a very nice people and a couple restaurants but you couldn't pay me enough to stay around there because its boring. I can all through the town in 15 minutes. The restaurants open when they feel like getting around to it and they close when they're ready to go home. Luckily, its 30 minutes from Lake Como and 40 minutes from Milan so I alternate staying between those two cities. Don't get me wrong, I love small towns but I like big city amenities and conveniences - You don't see many towns that aren't well known that have that.

I rent a home outside a small town in Tuscany for a week in the summer. It's perfect for when I want nothing to do except sit by the pool and enjoy the spectacular views. Maybe it's the NY'er in me but the solitude wears off pretty quickly and we end up wanting to go into Florence.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 06:38 AM   #37
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by italia View Post
Nice choice. I don't think you'll be disappointed. http://www.lamborghini.com/en/museum/factory-visit/

I had no luck with that form. I emailed visit@lamborghini.com and received a response right away.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 12:31 AM   #38
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

I think I'm going to take France out of the plan and spend more time in Italy (adding maybe Venice to the itinerary) and Germany. We're planning on adding another day to Alsace/Strassbourg and if we have a few days left over we can go to Austria and visit Mozart's birth place and Eagle's Nest. Thoughts?

Updated Itinerary

Day 1-3: Land in Rome, spend the next few days there (Roman Forums, Pantheon, Coloseum, etc.)
Day 4-5: Florence and surrounding area
Day 6-7: Venice and then take the night train to Munich
Day 8-11: Munich (pick up car, do factory tour, Marienplatz, Rothenburg, Black Forest & Neuschwanstein- in no particular order)
Day 12-14: Alsace/Strassbourg and then fly home after
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 06:19 AM   #39
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Seems like a solid itinerary. Venice is BEAUTIFUL but I was there on a weekend and it was loaded to the gills with tourists. Might be better to try for weekdays, however it's one of the most popular travel destinations in Europe so it's likely to always be busy (for a reason).

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #40
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I think I'm going to take France out of the plan and spend more time in Italy (adding maybe Venice to the itinerary) and Germany. We're planning on adding another day to Alsace/Strassbourg and if we have a few days left over we can go to Austria and visit Mozart's birth place and Eagle's Nest. Thoughts?

Updated Itinerary

Day 1-3: Land in Rome, spend the next few days there (Roman Forums, Pantheon, Coloseum, etc.)
Day 4-5: Florence and surrounding area
Day 6-7: Venice and then take the night train to Munich
Day 8-11: Munich (pick up car, do factory tour, Marienplatz, Rothenburg, Black Forest & Neuschwanstein- in no particular order)
Day 12-14: Alsace/Strassbourg and then fly home after
Venice is a worthwhile visit. IMO It's one of the most amazing places in the world. Unfortunately, cruise ships dock in the AM and flood the place with tourist until sundown. The best part of Venice is before they arrive and after they leave. A lot of people hate their experiences in Venice because thats how they see it as well - as part of that crowd that visit for the day. If you are staying in Venice, I suggest doing so at the Danielli. The view from the rooftop restaurant for breakfast is worth the price alone but the hotel has such an amazing history and perfect location, its hard to beat.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 05:03 PM   #41
italia
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Seems like a solid itinerary. Venice is BEAUTIFUL but I was there on a weekend and it was loaded to the gills with tourists. Might be better to try for weekdays, however it's one of the most popular travel destinations in Europe so it's likely to always be busy (for a reason).
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR-NYC View Post
Venice is a worthwhile visit. IMO It's one of the most amazing places in the world. Unfortunately, cruise ships dock in the AM and flood the place with tourist until sundown. The best part of Venice is before they arrive and after they leave. A lot of people hate their experiences in Venice because thats how they see it as well - as part of that crowd that visit for the day. If you are staying in Venice, I suggest doing so at the Danielli. The view from the rooftop restaurant for breakfast is worth the price alone but the hotel has such an amazing history and perfect location, its hard to beat.
Very good advice here. The Danieli is a terrific pick if you can afford it. You take a water taxi from the airport to Venice and your eyes are filled with an unreal sight of the 'floating' city. Lots of smiles and very romantic. The walkways and bridges over canals are quaint. The canals are generally fairly clean, and the smell of food being prepared in hundreds of little cafes and restaurants is intoxicating. Some of the best restaurants are behind unassuming doors in little alleys that if they were in most cities would seem altogether too shady. How's the food? It's Italy! But do your research ahead of time to find the hidden gems.

Touristy? VERY! The city is kind of like Disney in that almost no one really lives there. The workers come in daily to work in restaurants, hotels and shops. So, it's purely a tourist city - there basically is no other industry or local culture. But there is a lot to see and do. Take a gondola ride up the Grand Canal and through some smaller canals, walk through St. Mark's square and be swarmed by pigeons, and visit museums, churches and art galleries. Tons of shops and restaurants...

You can take a quick boat trip out to Murano (glass blowing capital of the world) for a day trip, but it's really a bigger tourist trap than Venice. The Venice hotels, guides, and Murano glass companies are all in collusion to get tourists out to Murano to see the glass "factories". The factory tour is a quick demonstration of glass blowing followed by a 'hard-sell' salesperson following you around their showroom trying to get you to buy something.

Since you're only planning two days in Venice, you'll be able to quickly get a flavor of it. It is like no other place I've been, and definitely worth a visit.
'94 530i - E34, MT
'97 540i - E39, MT
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #42
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Would you guys recommend Paris over Venice? After talking to some coworkers whom have traveled a bit to Europe, they recommended seeing Paris. So now I am back to square one.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 08:19 PM   #43
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

pics of italy. please
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #44
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Would you guys recommend Paris over Venice? After talking to some coworkers whom have traveled a bit to Europe, they recommended seeing Paris. So now I am back to square one.
Completely different places.

Paris is the only place I'd leave NYC to live. Its one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Venice is Venice and it is worth visiting at least once if not more. It's slowly sinking into the Adriatic so there will be a time that the entire place will be condemned. Perhaps not in our lifetime but with the frequency and severity of their floods, it may be sooner than later.
Appreciate 0