BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-31-2008, 02:01 PM   #45
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

The question the mythbusters answer was modified to account for the spirit of the question (I got this off of a fan site):
"An airplane cannot take off from a runway which is moving backwards (like a treadmill) at a speed equal to its normal ground speed during takeoff."

"busted"

"First some small-scale tests were performed with a model airplane on a treadmill and the plane was able to take off. For the large-scale test, the MythBusters used a 400 pound ultralight aircraft with a 2000 foot tarp under it. The tarp was pulled backwards to simulate a moving runway. The ultralight pilot had no trouble taking off. This is because the thrust of the airplane engines acts on the air, not on the ground."
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 02:28 PM   #46
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

How there is any question about this I have no idea. Since planes develop thrust from engines and not from moving wheels on the ground, there is no way it will not take off.

Sure, a car could not take off, but a plane is not a car. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2008, 02:35 PM   #47
B25 Jim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
How there is any question about this I have no idea. Since planes develop thrust from engines and not from moving wheels on the ground, there is no way it will not take off.

Sure, a car could not take off, but a plane is not a car. :biggrin:
Not in Every case :wink:

Addition: For more current Aerocar Info, see here - http://www.strangebirds.com/SB-WU-Aerocar.html
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 06:25 PM   #48
AwesomeBMW
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives:

02-04-2008, 08:10 AM   #49
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

OK, I had recorded the Mythbusters episode and just watched it and man, that one ranks up there with their Escape from Alcatraz ep.

They definitively proved the myth as wrong using small scale and full scale tests, with a pilot who actually beleived the myth and was quite surprised the plane took off at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 09:23 AM   #50
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

You will take off, it is all about airspeed. The wheels are free-wheeling unless the brakes are on.