BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
NJ 1161
Major
Rep
Drives: 335D M3

Bc br coilover question e92 m3.

So bought a bc br coilover kit for the m3 e92.

Front fitted and although hard work, on and feels great.

The backs however are causing an issue. My mechanic stripped the rear only to find the kit had no top shock nut ( oem one different size) and also needed a sleeve and a washer to fit the kit.

They have sent this stuff ( but as I now find out of a normal e92) and it does not fit ( differing sizes)

They say the m3 e92 non edc does not need a sleeve nut or washer to fit, hence it's not supplied. So for the second time my rear suspensions been stripped down and put back on again. The kit has adjustable dampners.

Now I know it's a vague question but has anyone else come across similar issues or any suspension experts about.

They are saying if I send dimensions they will see what they can do ( which I will in morning) but its super frustrating !!!!
      12-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

So you bought a suspension from a manufacturer that can't supply the correct mounting hardware - EDC or non-EDC?

Here's a link showing the differences between EDC and non-EDC:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...70&postcount=4

EDC rear dampers have a larger Dia shaft and use shorter mounting bushings, compared to non-EDC rear dampers.

Good luck with your install...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 02:35 AM   #3
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

Ah, that's interesting. Mines a non edc model.

They havnt provided anything thing else related to an edc model.

The shaft is defiantly thicker than standard though.
      12-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ 1161 View Post

So did the BC rear dampers come with new mounting bushings and washers with the correct diameter for their rear damper or are you supposed to reuse your stock bushings/washers?

I find it odd that a manufacturer is asking you to take measurements so they can then send you the correct parts If this suspension was developed for the e9x M3 then they should know the differences between EDC and non-EDC mounting dimensions.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD
Quote:

So did the BC rear dampers come with new mounting bushings and washers with the correct diameter for their rear damper or are you supposed to reuse your stock bushings/washers?

I find it odd that a manufacturer is asking you to take measurements so they can then send you the correct parts If this suspension was developed for the e9x M3 then they should know the differences between EDC and non-EDC mounting dimensions.
Couldn't agree more!

Came with no top mounts?

The original shock looks to be a 10mm Ish shaft and nut as pic on your non edc picture.

The new shaft is approx 15mm

The kit they sent at the second attempt is the right stuff but wrong sizes as all to small,

So,basically the sleeve would need to fit within the oem mount but would need to be big enough to go over the 15mm shaft. The obviously the washers would need to have a 15mm plus hole and the nuts be the appropriate size.

Bc racing are a bit Jekyll and Hyde and go from being narky to nice. They are still telling me the kit is right for an e92 and an e93 m3, but to me that's impossible as the oem shaft is much smaller than that provided, ergo it would never fit with oem parts! The 15mm shaft won't physically fit through the current oem top mount.

They have emailed the manufacturers and are trying to resolve the issue?
      12-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Does the OEM rear damper bushings fit on the BC shaft (without using the metal sleeve bushing)? Do the BC-supplied nuts have the correct thread pitch and diameter for their damper or are you supposed to reuse the OEM nuts and washers? Given that you have a non-EDC setup it looks like things might fit. If they can't give you the support needed to install the dampers then what happens if something major goes wrong....sorry for the install problems
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I used BC Racing Type BR before on a previous car... to put it nicely, they were junk. The shocks didn't last more than a year of street and track use. Coincidentally, their warranty is one year.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 02:19 AM   #8
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

No nothing fits from oem and they provide no top mount? The shaft is 15mm on the rear shock. Oem is 10mm so won't go through. If the oem sleeve was removed the shaft may fit through but when you tightened the bolt the rubber would just squash. Thus us why the sleeve needs to be in there. No nuts came with the kit. The stuff they sent was on the back of my complaint but I think they just chanced it and sent the stuff if a standard e92 which is different sizes ( too small still)
      12-14-2012, 05:24 AM   #9
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
No nothing fits from oem and they provide no top mount? The shaft is 15mm on the rear shock. Oem is 10mm so won't go through. If the oem sleeve was removed the shaft may fit through but when you tightened the bolt the rubber would just squash. Thus us why the sleeve needs to be in there. No nuts came with the kit. The stuff they sent was on the back of my complaint but I think they just chanced it and sent the stuff if a standard e92 which is different sizes ( too small still)
Just an "FYI" if you are able to install the bushings, you'll need to place the washers on the outside surfaces of the upper and lower stock rubber bushings - this is what allows you to preload the rear bushings.

I wonder if you're supposed to increase the hole diameter on the stock bushings and then slide them over the supplied metal sleeves before installing everything, including the washers, onto the new damper shaft?

At this point, given the manufacture's lack of support, personally I'd pull the suspension off of my car and send it back to them...if they can't address this simple issue, what's going to happen if you run into a major issue? There are a lot of other suspension options available for the e9x M3
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

Didn't get ant sleeve or nuts or washers with the kit. They say the m3 e92 didn't need it!! Then they sent the kit that dosnt fit.

I could use the original rubber mount if they provided a sleeve, but and washers that fitted their shock.

They have contacted the factory who are looking into it. It's a shame as the front is fitted and seems excellent fit and ride quality.
      12-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #11
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Didn't get ant sleeve or nuts or washers with the kit. They say the m3 e92 didn't need it!! Then they sent the kit that dosnt fit.

I could use the original rubber mount if they provided a sleeve, but and washers that fitted their shock.

They have contacted the factory who are looking into it. It's a shame as the front is fitted and seems excellent fit and ride quality.
Oops...I thought they gave you the steel sleeves and nuts, even if they weren't useful. They gave you nothing to mount the rear damper?!?! WOW

Is the threaded part of the shaft 15 mm? Powerflex makes rear damper mounting bushing (street and track versions) - I think they offer different mounting hole diameters. You'll probably have to give them a few measurements of the mounting shaft (threaded and unthreaded lengths) if you want to try there setup...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #12
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

I would send them back and get a new system from a manufacturer that knows their stuff! You should not have to go through this much trouble.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD
Quote:

Oops...I thought they gave you the steel sleeves and nuts, even if they weren't useful. They gave you nothing to mount the rear damper?!?! WOW

Is the threaded part of the shaft 15 mm? Powerflex makes rear damper mounting bushing (street and track versions) - I think they offer different mounting hole diameters. You'll probably have to give them a few measurements of the mounting shaft (threaded and unthreaded lengths) if you want to try there setup...
To start it came with nothing! Which ph clearly wouldn't work. Then they sent the washers/ nuts/ sleeves.

Interesting about power flex. I will look into that, thanks.
      12-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #14
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer
I would send them back and get a new system from a manufacturer that knows their stuff! You should not have to go through this much trouble.
Tempted but paid to have front fitted and actually really impressed with front. I'm sure when the backs are on it will be worth it. Luckily it's a second car so it's more annoying than inconvenient!
      12-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #15
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
To start it came with nothing! Which ph clearly wouldn't work. Then they sent the washers/ nuts/ sleeves.

Interesting about power flex. I will look into that, thanks.
Ok...that's even worse! Again, if they can't address a simply rear damper mounting issue then what's going to happen if a damper starts to leak/fails? Good luck...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #16
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

I have he normal warranty and after that i guess I'm on my own!

Couldn't find any powerflex bushes in the uk other than oem which would be to small?
      06-20-2013, 04:39 AM   #17
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

did you ever sort this out?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #18
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

Hi, got a fitting kit in the end so it fitted ok. Needed a different size shaft inside the rear rubber bushing.

However, still have a knocking on back left. To be fair they have sent a new rear shock, and. It still knocks so wondering wether my rear top mount has gone? Apart from the rear issue, the kits great, but must admit testing my patience!