BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

BPM

07-28-2014, 05:54 PM   #1
Twinbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ....

Used M3 in Quebec

Hi all,

I'm looking far and wide for a used e90 M3 and have a question about buying a used vehicle in Quebec. Why are they less expensive? Is the winter really that harsh on the cars compared to ON?
Any Quebec members here who can suggest a place in Quebec City where a PPI could be performed?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 01:48 AM   #2
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Hey man,

I remember when I was looking for my M3, I found the same thing. Apparently the roads are not that nice there, they use salt, and people drive like crazy. This is what I heard from a dealership so I am not sure if it is true.

Glad you are getting an M3 back, all done with your truck / wedding?

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #3
Twinbo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
Hey man,

I remember when I was looking for my M3, I found the same thing. Apparently the roads are not that nice there, they use salt, and people drive like crazy. This is what I heard from a dealership so I am not sure if it is true.

Hey Mo,

Ya I've heard the same thing. This one isn't winter driven so I'm hoping it won't be too bad. I've just found it tough to find one out here that isn't white or SSII (no offence to those colours, just prefer the darker hues).
The truck last for 18 months while I was working a bit in the field - served it's purpose. Glad wedding is over but now we're expecting our first child so a whole different set of fun coming up.
How's Van?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinbo View Post
Hey Mo,

Ya I've heard the same thing. This one isn't winter driven so I'm hoping it won't be too bad. I've just found it tough to find one out here that isn't white or SSII (no offence to those colours, just prefer the darker hues).
The truck last for 18 months while I was working a bit in the field - served it's purpose. Glad wedding is over but now we're expecting our first child so a whole different set of fun coming up.
How's Van?
Oh congrats on your first child. I love Vancouver, a really fun city.

Good luck on the hunt for your next M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

I did the same thing before settling on a new car. The prices in Quebec are definitely the cheapest but the dealers seemed less inclined to provide service history etc, upon request. Then all the stuff about the salt and the roads steered me to other options.

If you are positive there was no accident, and have access to all the service records etc, it should be fine. But don't finalize till you get a chance to go and see the car. Especially the under carriage for rust and all.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
Twinbo
First Lieutenant
Rep

swifty - agreed. I've been assured that the car has not been winter driven, and so far they have been straight forward in offering up a 3rd party inspection (their choice), full inspection report from their own shop. Still waiting on the BMW service records.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 11:32 AM   #7
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinbo
Hi all,

I'm looking far and wide for a used e90 M3 and have a question about buying a used vehicle in Quebec. Why are they less expensive? Is the winter really that harsh on the cars compared to ON?
Any Quebec members here who can suggest a place in Quebec City where a PPI could be performed?

Thanks in advance
High end cars in Quebec drop value quicker than ROC as there is simply a lot less people with money / less demand outside of Montreal.

If it's a summer driven car you have nothing to fear. Even winter driven, these cars have underbodies made mostly of aluminum and plastics.

E90 / sedans usually are daily drivers and have been winter driven. M3s are for the most part seen as summer cars only in Quebec, 2nd or 3rd owners want these as weekend/summer cars and don't want a beat up daily driver.

I bought my M3 out of Quebec as there wasn't much supply here last year - lots of US rebuilt cars in Quebec too!

If you have any other questions let me know.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 12:35 PM   #8
bde
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i, AW

Garage List
I've heard that Quebec used car industry is quite shady and not to be trusted...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 05:36 PM   #9
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

quebec is ok as long as its not from
Montreal

Last edited by Yvette; 07-31-2014 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #10
Twinbo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoustouflant View Post
High end cars in Quebec drop value quicker than ROC as there is simply a lot less people with money / less demand outside of Montreal.

If it's a summer driven car you have nothing to fear. Even winter driven, these cars have underbodies made mostly of aluminum and plastics.

E90 / sedans usually are daily drivers and have been winter driven. M3s are for the most part seen as summer cars only in Quebec, 2nd or 3rd owners want these as weekend/summer cars and don't want a beat up daily driver.

I bought my M3 out of Quebec as there wasn't much supply here last year - lots of US rebuilt cars in Quebec too!

Thanks for the information. Hopefully get the service records shortly. You don't happen to know of a BMW Indie mechanic in Quebec City? Someone who would be knowledgeable enough to do a Pre-Purchase Inspection.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #11
spaniard
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
Hey man,

So true!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 05:45 PM   #12
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoustouflant View Post

Thanks for the information. Hopefully get the service records shortly. You don't happen to know of a BMW Indie mechanic in Quebec City? Someone who would be knowledgeable enough to do a Pre-Purchase Inspection.
Yes! I actually live in Quebec City.

You should call Autobahn8 and ask for Serge. They service my M3 and are very knowledgeable when it comes to M cars.

Which car are you looking at? Send me a link via PM and I'll see if I know anything about the car. Quebec City is a very small market/village and stories travel fast.
Appreciate 0