BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

05-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #1
JerezBlkM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Coupe

ACM or Perforated OEM Exhaust Mod?

Hi guys - I'm torn between which OEM exhaust mod that I want to go with. I've searched the forums up and down, read other users' opinions, and watched some YouTube videos. Ultimately, I think the only way I will be able to tell is to hear them each in person, and I want to do this mod right the first time. Once decided, I plan to take it to Zury Fabrications as I hear from you guys on previous topics that they do great work.

I'm curious if there are any forum members in the Baltimore metro area that have either the ACM or perforated (2 larger pipes covered) OEM exhaust mods?

I'd love to hear the exhaust from the outside and also hear if there is any drone inside the cabin when cruising. Also opinions if it overpowers the radio in the car or bluetooth phone capability. I daily drive my car about 50 miles round trip (mostly back roads so varying RPMS), but definitely could not live with an exhaust that droned every day or on long trips on the highway (sustained RPMs).

As a perspective, I was at the BMW Performance Center earlier this month and went on a "hot lap" with an instructor in an e92 M3 equipped with the M Performance exhaust (MPE). Sitting in the back seat I could not really tell much of a difference between the stock exhaust and MPE. Once outside, I still could not really tell the difference between the MPE and the stock exhaust M3s going around the track. They all sounded great, but the MPE didn't stick out among the pack. I know there is a difference, but it was not night/day different like I imagined it would be.

If the perforated mod sounds like the MPE in person, then I think I would be underwhelmed and wanting more. In the same breath, I don't want to take it to extremes and have an obnoxious exhaust waking the neighbors and drawing attention in the office parking lot. The latter is what I fear may be the case with the ACM method.

I appreciate your feedback and opportunity to hear these cars uncorked in person! If anybody is going to the BMW CCA National Capital Chapter - Columbia Social on May 8th at the Greene Turtle I will be there, and that would be a great way to meet up and hear some S65 exhaust tunes!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

If you realy don't want any drone,you need to go with the 2 perforated pipe replacement !
Check this out >http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733817

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #3
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
If you realy don't want any drone,you need to go with the 2 perforated pipe replacement !
Check this out >http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733817
I had that and it was perfect. Not so great w/ an x-pipe tho.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I had that and it was perfect. Not so great w/ an x-pipe tho.
Agreed,i will keep it forever on my car,sounds just damn perfect !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 06:53 PM   #5
cap1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MR E92 ZCP

I'd also like to hear both the OEM mod and the ACM mod in person. I've listened to about a dozen YouTube clips and read reviews about each. Only thing I could conclude was I need to hear them both in person.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 09:06 PM   #6
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
ACM sounds waaaay to ricey for me
If you like that type of sound you should be in a scoobishi

Perforated sounds like stock +20%
No drone
No setting off alarms etc
I loved mine
      05-02-2014, 06:04 AM   #7
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post

No drone
I loved mine

listen to the man who knows.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #8
JerezBlkM3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post

No drone
I loved mine
Thanks for your perspective on the perforated mod. I think this is probably the best route to go and it's better to err on the side of caution and not have any potential headaches with the ACM mod with driving myself or my neighbors nuts...or drawing attention from any cops. Plus, I wouldn't want to drown out that nice intake sound up-front.

Thanks guys for all your comments! I'm going to call to get an estimate and try to get this done soon!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 01:56 PM   #9
zacnaud
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Convertible

Welcome to hear my perf mod if you are ever down in montgomery county. Try checking out Zury, they are by BWI and did a great job on my car as well as other forum members

2008 335i Sedan - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #10
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerezBlkM3 View Post
Thanks for your perspective on the perforated mod. I think this is probably the best route to go and it's better to err on the side of caution and not have any potential headaches with the ACM mod with driving myself or my neighbors nuts...or drawing attention from any cops. Plus, I wouldn't want to drown out that nice intake sound up-front.

Thanks guys for all your comments! I'm going to call to get an estimate and try to get this done soon!
Perfect ! And that's why and not the first time ...The video of the making of " The Oem. exhaust mod. & The 2 big perforated pipe replacement mod."
Also if someone wanted to do this mod.you can easily send this video to the exhaust shop via youtube/link, when not doing it by yourself and make things very clear to the shop! (DIY/VIDEO)>

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #11
cap1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Awesome feedback & info in this thread. Zacnaud I may have to drive up to Montgomery county to listen to your exhaust in person. I wouldn't even mind driving up to Zury near BWI if they're recommended and priced right.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 06:10 PM   #12
8tnfox
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I have the OEM exhaust mod. I'm in Fairfax.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #13
M3Carbon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, AW/FRE

I also have one. May try to hit up cars and coffee in Great Falls soon if others are interested.

Instagram @m3carbon
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 08:04 PM   #14
cap1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8tnfox View Post
I have the OEM exhaust mod. I'm in Fairfax.
Perfect, I'm going to try and go to the cars & coffee in Fair Lakes on Sunday.
Been trying to go to Katie's but can never wake up early enough on a Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 08:18 PM   #15
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

I did the acm exhaust method, i thought it was perfect and how the car shouldve came like that
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #16
8tnfox
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1 View Post
Perfect, I'm going to try and go to the cars & coffee in Fair Lakes on Sunday.
Been trying to go to Katie's but can never wake up early enough on a Saturday.
Is that in the lot with the Dick's Sporting goods? I just moved back from Germany so my memory might off a little.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 04:49 PM   #17
cap1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is that in the lot with the Dick's Sporting goods? I just moved back from Germany so my memory might off a little.
It's in the parking lot of Kohls, I'll probably get there around 9:30.

Last edited by cap1; 05-03-2014 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #18
8tnfox
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1 View Post
It's in the parking lot of Kohls, I'll probably get there around 9:30.
I'll try to make it tomorrow. I'll have the SSII E90.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #19
cap1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'll try to make it tomorrow. I'll have the SSII E90.
Great meeting you earlier today and thanks for the ride along.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 06:10 PM   #20
JerezBlkM3
Private
United_States
Rep

I happened to hear a fellow forum member's ACM exhaust mod this past Thurs. at a local BMW CCA social event.

I was blown away!!! That exhaust sounds so awesome in person! It's a beast for sure and really brings out the V8 sound. I was surprised that the cold start was not that bad really and sounded just a little louder than stock (his car probably sat for a couple hours, so maybe not a full-on cold start?). It idled quietly as we talked so it didn't sound much different than stock, but when he pulled away and was on the throttle it was really aggressive and I liked it. I did not get a chance to sit in the car and ride, so I'm still unsure if the interior cabin would be overwhelmed with sound. He did admit that he does have to talk a little louder over the exhaust sometimes or turn the radio up, but that does not exactly scare me away...just as long as it's not crazy loud inside. I have a 6sp mt, so I think I can manage the sound a little better than DCT with the ability to coast into my parking spot in my neighborhood.

I still haven't heard the perforated version yet in person, but I'm really leaning towards going big or going home! If it's too crazy, then I can scale it down to the perforated version and at least not have that "what if" feeling wondering if I made the mistake by not going for that aggressive sound of the ACM I like.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 08:23 AM   #21
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerezBlkM3 View Post
I happened to hear a fellow forum member's ACM exhaust mod this past Thurs. at a local BMW CCA social event.

I was blown away!!! That exhaust sounds so awesome in person! It's a beast for sure and really brings out the V8 sound. I was surprised that the cold start was not that bad really and sounded just a little louder than stock (his car probably sat for a couple hours, so maybe not a full-on cold start?). It idled quietly as we talked so it didn't sound much different than stock, but when he pulled away and was on the throttle it was really aggressive and I liked it. I did not get a chance to sit in the car and ride, so I'm still unsure if the interior cabin would be overwhelmed with sound. He did admit that he does have to talk a little louder over the exhaust sometimes or turn the radio up, but that does not exactly scare me away...just as long as it's not crazy loud inside. I have a 6sp mt, so I think I can manage the sound a little better than DCT with the ability to coast into my parking spot in my neighborhood.

I still haven't heard the perforated version yet in person, but I'm really leaning towards going big or going home! If it's too crazy, then I can scale it down to the perforated version and at least not have that "what if" feeling wondering if I made the mistake by not going for that aggressive sound of the ACM I like.
That guy with the ACM exhaust mod sounds like a douche

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 10:19 AM   #22
JerezBlkM3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
That guy with the ACM exhaust mod sounds like a douche
Ha ha! Yes, the secret is out it was Paul.
Appreciate 0