BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

11-23-2008, 02:18 PM   #23
Archon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT AW/BLK

Some more info,

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=136286

0-60 in 4.5, yikes!

According to Inside Line's testing, the GT-R's acceleration is dramatically slower without launch control — effectively relegating the one-time top dog of the supercar realm to B-list status.

So sad to see this unfold.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 02:25 PM   #24
BIGNTASTIE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white/red 08 M3, 05 Rangerover

oh man.. gtr in 4.5?!??! i guess vette fans are happy to hear this
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 05:05 PM   #25
DakarE36
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Dakar yellow '95 e36 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
Still a great car, but Godzilla is looking more like Godzuki or maybe Mothra now...
This car seemed to be the best deal on the planet, we all should have known that the gtr couldnt live up to its expectations 100 %. The LC made this car into a damn veyron, even without it, itll be a ferrari eater.

Without its launch control 0-60 times this car isn't quite as appealing as i once thought it was...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #26
M3 996
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92

Guys,

People are still running 11.6 sec 1/4 mile times WITHOUT LC on this car... That is still pretty darned fast, and will smoke a stock M3...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 07:27 PM   #27
JMD0977
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 GT3 and ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celsius View Post
actually, the time is now 10.88 without LC
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/A...088_201390.htm
Yeah but thats not a stock GTR.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 10:15 AM   #28
aggie57
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2.0d X3, 2009 997 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celsius View Post
simple "bolt-ons"
Just like a bolt-on blower.......stock is stock. Anything else is not.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 01:20 PM   #29
GTM
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

This clearly shows good example of how US Market is very sensitive to whole warrantee issue.(vs other markets)
It's the same reason why BMW, Ferrari and other automakers did NOT put launch controls on some of previous model for US market.

Even BMW had similar issue..
Heavy usage of LC control/too severe shifting on early SMG cars voided the warranty on other countries.

I honestly do not understand people complain about LC control voids the warrantee. It even clearly says in GTR manual.
Too bad that all the automakers will be more sensitive to put LC control on their future cars.

I remember many people complaining NOT having LC feature in US spec cars...
Now what...

It is always a "cool" feature to have...even if I know I wont be covered by warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2008, 05:09 PM   #30
Irb Digital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M E90 MANual Jerez

If use of a feature voids your drivetrain warranty, it shouldn't be put on the car, much less advertised.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #31
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irb Digital View Post
If use of a feature voids your drivetrain warranty, it shouldn't be put on the car, much less advertised.
+1.

Lame.

With each time Nissan do something stupid, dishonest or wrong (sometimes all 3!), another bright chunk comes off the GTR's polish. The saddest part is, they didn't need to do any of this.

Stood on it's core strengths, 5% backed off from all the lofty claims, without any Ring reality bending, without the under-$70k price debacle - it would have still been an amazing car, a massive achievement on Nissan's part - honorable, repeatable and true.

I wonder what else will fall off their flagship.

Nissan still has to learn how to handle a few things.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 05:39 PM   #32
Advskier
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM View Post
This clearly shows good example of how US Market is very sensitive to whole warrantee issue.(vs other markets)
It's the same reason why BMW, Ferrari and other automakers did NOT put launch controls on some of previous model for US market.

Even BMW had similar issue..
Heavy usage of LC control/too severe shifting on early SMG cars voided the warranty on other countries.

I honestly do not understand people complain about LC control voids the warrantee. It even clearly says in GTR manual.
Too bad that all the automakers will be more sensitive to put LC control on their future cars.

I remember many people complaining NOT having LC feature in US spec cars...
Now what...

It is always a "cool" feature to have...even if I know I wont be covered by warranty.
All of the 0-60MPH and 1/4 mile claims are based on using a feature that will void the warranty. Furthermore, Nissan knows it has a weak transmission.

I've got nothing against Nissan (I've actually owned a few) but advertising, pricing and availability, specifications, etc. should be based on what a consumer should expect when they walk into a dealership and buy a car.

Then there are the service issues. At some point a consumer should be told what to expect to pay for the service, especially when the service costs are so out of the ordinary, for even the most expensive cars made.

Celsius..... resale "might" be good on a GTR now, but I have to wonder how many of them will not get the recommended services because of cost, and how many of those are going to end up broken on the used market.

In the long run, reputation for dependability is one of the biggest factors affecting resale. And when GTR's start failing on the secondary market resale values could very easily tank.
So with that in mind, maybe Nissan is right for taking that feature out if using it will cause enough damage as to ruin it's already plummeting reputation.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 09:09 PM   #33
Archon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT AW/BLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advskier View Post
All of the 0-60MPH and 1/4 mile claims are based on using a feature that will void the warranty. Furthermore, Nissan knows it has a weak transmission.

I've got nothing against Nissan (I've actually owned a few) but advertising, pricing and availability, specifications, etc. should be based on what a consumer should expect when they walk into a dealership and buy a car.

Then there are the service issues. At some point a consumer should be told what to expect to pay for the service, especially when the service costs are so out of the ordinary, for even the most expensive cars made.

Celsius..... resale "might" be good on a GTR now, but I have to wonder how many of them will not get the recommended services because of cost, and how many of those are going to end up broken on the used market.

In the long run, reputation for dependability is one of the biggest factors affecting resale. And when GTR's start failing on the secondary market resale values could very easily tank.
So with that in mind, maybe Nissan is right for taking that feature out if using it will cause enough damage as to ruin it's already plummeting reputation.
Well said

Nissan was smart in one thing, they didn't publish any performance numbers except the "Ring" time. No expectation of performance set for 0-60, 1/4, etc.
However, it is safe to say that without LC the car is slower. So much revealed after one year, Nissan will be lucky if long term nothing else goes wrong...however we know something will.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 02:48 PM   #34
Doc
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW/Blk sunroof 19s

There was so much of hype surrounding the launch of the GTR, but now that this warranty issue snowballed out of Nissan's control and the proof that their ring times were doctored, just leaves me feeling cheated. I love this car and I want it to be all they say it can be, but they fucked up and should make good on it. Price hikes? no launch control when every tom dick and sally was praising this to high heaven? no brembo stickers on the brakes? WTF? Next they gonna say carbon fiber drive shafts/propshafts no longer covered by warranty when sticky tires to do ring times in 7min29s are fitted
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 03:10 PM   #35
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
There was so much of hype surrounding the launch of the GTR, but now that this warranty issue snowballed out of Nissan's control and the proof that their ring times were doctored, just leaves me feeling cheated. I love this car and I want it to be all they say it can be, but they fucked up and should make good on it. Price hikes? no launch control when every tom dick and sally was praising this to high heaven? no brembo stickers on the brakes? WTF? Next they gonna say carbon fiber drive shafts/propshafts no longer covered by warranty when sticky tires to do ring times in 7min29s are fitted
Is there proof the 'Ring times were doctored? Where?

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #36
Advskier
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just a question for anyone moaning the loss of launch control on the GTR.

Why wouldn't Nissan drop it?

It does $20K damage to the car if it is used much.
Nissan doesn't want to warranty it, and customers don't want to pay the repair bill.

So dropping it seems like a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #37
Shade
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 AW F10 M5

For the M3 MDCT, you cant LC ur M3 every lights, it requires you to run for at less couple miles before you can use it again, however, the GTR does not have the same feature as M3. IF you want, you can LC it every lights and just trash ur tranny. I believe if the M3 disable that protective feature, so someone just do the same to the M, if the tranny blow, i am sure BMW will do the same.

Think about it in Nissan's perspective, if you sell the GTR and the user Launch the crap out of it, tranny break, they came in to the dealership and request for a 20,000dollar tranny. Maybe one is fine, but as years goes on, if theres 2000 ppl asking for a new tranny, thats like 20,000,000 dollars on nissan. thats a shit load of money, if you are the company owner, you want to disable that feature just for the sake of it. You make a company to make profit not to loss money.

Again, Nissan dont want to cover those irresponsible driver who LC on every possible light or being a douche on the street trying to race any car that is next to the GTR.

Tbh, i think Nissan did a good move on removing LC, or they can do the same with the BMW M's LC protection feature, but again, if you are driving you GTR on the street mainly, why do u need LC ? Many cars do their marketing strat to advertise their top speed, cool feature etc, but frankly speaking how many of them are legally to use on the street in the USA (besides Tracking) ?

without LC, its not the end of the world. GTR still a good car, with the price and performance, no doubt its worth every bucks. You are talking about 997 turbo performance with a lesser price tag....

As for consumer, thats why theres choices, many car are built for difference purpose, and you are the one to choose which one suits urself the best. I personally Own a M3 and GTR, i think they are two different car, i love my M. and still does, nothing can beat the handling on the M and the GTR's acceleration is just wow...

Again, lets just not start a war on LC, its one feature that if it doesnt have it on ur car, the car will blow up or not move at all.

08 E92 M3 AW M-DCT

09 INDxRENN-SPEC Project GT-R
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 07:49 PM   #38
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Should not of had LC in the first place since you were'nt allowed to use it!

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 08:07 PM   #39
Shade
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 AW F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
Should not of had LC in the first place since you were'nt allowed to use it!
They never said u are not allowed to use LC in the manual, just the warranty "can be" voided if you turn VDC off.

08 E92 M3 AW M-DCT

09 INDxRENN-SPEC Project GT-R
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #40
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
They never said u are not allowed to use LC in the manual, just the warranty "can be" voided if you turn VDC off.
Yes and as soon as you had a transmission problem and they seen you had turned off VDC you lost your warranty!

And they could use that void warranty issue on any other mechanicals in the car!

So they would have been better off leaving it out.

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #41
09E92M34ME
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

launch it

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #42
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09E92M34ME View Post
Hey, that would be a good Poll, done you LC your GT-R.

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #43
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advskier View Post
Just a question for anyone moaning the loss of launch control on the GTR.

Why wouldn't Nissan drop it?

It does $20K damage to the car if it is used much.
Nissan doesn't want to warranty it, and customers don't want to pay the repair bill.

So dropping it seems like a no brainer.
How about just engineering a car to work without eating itself, that would be the no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 09:12 PM   #44
th3Stig
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 GT500 Eleanor

I've never launched my GT-R but it has gone into what I call "self-preservation" mode where it says cool down and takes all the settings for TC, susp, and gearbox back to normal more than once... but I've obeyed and had it inspected and all is well.

860+ miles later and everything's great. Got about 2000 on her odo already... no problems besides the TPM sensor was on for a whole day, then went away.
Appreciate 0