BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-16-2019, 04:14 PM   #1
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

Clunk from Rear Suspension - bad shock?

Hello,

I've been getting a clunk from the rear right area when going over any bump that would compress the spring/shock. I had the local shops check the rear sway and suspension arms and all looks tight.

I replaced the all the right rear upper shock mount parts, and the clunk remains. When installing, I did find that the rear shock (EDC) didn't return to fully extended length, where I had to pull up on the shock rod from within the trunk after placing load back on the axle, and it did emit a noise from what appeared from the lower shock mount area when tapping the shock with a rubber mallet and moving/twisting the shock by hand.

Has anybody seen a lower shock mount gone bad (doesn't look cracked), or the shock itself to create noise during road impacts? There's no EDC error, nor was there any proof of leaks.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 03:47 PM   #2
///mawana
Lieutenant
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anerbe View Post
Hello,

I've been getting a clunk from the rear right area when going over any bump that would compress the spring/shock. I had the local shops check the rear sway and suspension arms and all looks tight.

I replaced the all the right rear upper shock mount parts, and the clunk remains. When installing, I did find that the rear shock (EDC) didn't return to fully extended length, where I had to pull up on the shock rod from within the trunk after placing load back on the axle, and it did emit a noise from what appeared from the lower shock mount area when tapping the shock with a rubber mallet and moving/twisting the shock by hand.

Has anybody seen a lower shock mount gone bad (doesn't look cracked), or the shock itself to create noise during road impacts? There's no EDC error, nor was there any proof of leaks.

Thanks!
It's your rear shock, just replaced one of mine on Sunday with same symptom!
      12-17-2019, 07:00 PM   #3
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

Some of these shocks could be approaching 10 years or more depending on the year of the car, so they will fade during that time. I'm planning on replacing mine at the 10 years mark regardless of mileage. It definitely appears that your shock is failing you and needs to be replaced. Replace both sides as it will feel very weird if you don't. I do believe BMW recommends this in their repair manuals.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 09:06 AM   #4
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

Update: The rear shock lower bushing was separated from the shock. You could move it around back and forth, and rotate the metal within the bushing.

Replaced rear shocks with 20K mile OEM edc shocks, no more noise. Should tidy me over a few months till it's time to go Coils.

Thank you all!
Appreciate 0