BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

09-03-2012, 06:02 AM   #23
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

I love the M3, currently looking to purchase one.

That being said, you need to test drive each yourself. Too many biased opinions here I'll try to sway it back to the 1M ... :

Just remember that the 1M is considerably lighter then the M3. It takes about $1500 to make it faster then the M3 (you don't need pistons or rods or any of that nonsense. The N54 is a great motor). I'm dusting off C63 AMGs with no drama! 1M includes all the best parts from the other M cars...

That being said, the M3 is a sweet ride, hence why I'm picking one up. (Second vehicle)
      09-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #24
dagolfpro
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

From what I've read online, guys go from 1M to M3, don't hear too many guys going the other way, but some who has, have gone back to M3. Drive both and make your decision then.
Mods List: Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | BBS FI | Yokohama AD08 R| Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | OEM GTS Wing| GTS Lip| I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #25
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

I was on my iPhone when I posted that. Allow me to add a few more details.

I love turbocharged vehicles. The hp and tq is intoxicating. You can't make an NA car significantly faster without throwing some serious money at it (I increased my 1M from 335hp to 450hp with just a few simple bolt ons). The 1M is essentially an M3 (LSD, competition wheels, aluminum suspension pieces, brakes + other bits) minus the kick ass V8. Imagine M3 bits in a smaller (lighter) car. It'll handle better...

The S65 is an amazing piece of machinery. I just wish it had more torque... Having to redline the car to get serious performance out of it is what turned me off. When I get on a highway onramp with my cars and go WOT up to highway speeds, if my wife doesn't instinctively grab the "Oh shit" handle at the top of the window, then I need to modify my car LOL.

Now, I'm not trying to ignite an M3 vs 1M war. I just don't think you'll find people here who know much about the 1M or who own it first hand. There are plenty of guys on the 1 forums that have switched from an M3 to a 1M... In fact, there was a guy a few weeks back who wanted to trade his 2011 M3 for a 1M to anyone on the forum willing to do so. It's a great car!

But so is the M3. Why am I getting an M3 as an additional car? Because the 1M isn't very practical for more then 2 people. Don't get me wrong, it's deceivingly roomy on the inside, but the M3 is definitely far more practical as a daily. The N54 motor in the 1M has nothing on the V8 in terms of sound. My wife, who generally doesn't like loud cars, absolutely loves the V8 in the M3. Hence why this second car (E90 Sedan DCT) will be her baby and maybe my weekend track toy every now and then.

Sorry for the long winded post. All I was trying to get across is, don't discount the 1M because you will be pleasantly surprised. Take both cars on test drives and YOU decide. If you ask the same question on the 1M forum, they're obviously going to be in favour of the car they purchased.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #26
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Really depends on which engine you like the best. For me, the 1M is my only car. I use it to drive to work, as well as on the track. For me the torque is pretty awesome, especially for driving around town. It is nice to be able to punch it at essentially any RPM and have the torque do it's magic. The S65, while an unbelievable engine lacks the torque you get with the 1M. So unless you are wringing it out to the high-RPM range on the way to the grocery store, you are not having that much fun in the car. I think the s65 is a better option for the track, but I really have not noticed any deficiencies on the track with the n54. Also, all the parts that have a propensity to fail on the N54 are covered under warranty for a longer period. For what it is worth I have not had anything go wrong on my 1M.

I cross-shopped the M3, and was very close to buying one. One of the reasons I didn't was because of the 6mt/dct predicament. I love driving a manual car, don't want to give that up quite yet. I feel the DCT is much better suited to the s65 than the 6mt is. So much easier to keep the engine in the higher rpm range than with the manual. The 1M just seemed like a perfect fit for me. I love going to the track, but I spend the vast majority of my time on the street. And for my style of driving the high-torque N54 was a better fit. Also, I like the light weight feel of the 1M, it weighs about 300 lbs less than a similar M3.

Once you drive both the decision will likely become clear. Either you like the s65 or prefer the low-weight, high-torque combination of the 1M. The rarity factor is a nice perk too. There isn't a wrong decision here though, both are fantastic cars each with their strong suits.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #27
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Good grief not this M3 doesn't have torque BS. People just don't know how to drive a NA M car.
      09-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #28
ny911
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: R35/981 CS

DD/ Automatic -> M3. I personally dislike the 6MT on E9x M3.

Weekend car/ Manual -> 1M.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 04:33 AM   #29
Assari
Private
Russia
Rep
Drives: AW/SS F80 M3 DCT

Nice that we got some 1M owners to this thread. If I just had the cash to own both cars I would do that. It is really difficult to get a test drive of 1M here, because there is only one for sale and it is located 500kms from my location, but I will try to get there
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 05:17 AM   #30
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK
Good grief not this M3 doesn't have torque BS. People just don't know how to drive a NA M car.
this.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 05:19 AM   #31
dom_cmh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

The problem with the 1M is that it looks like a 1M. Go M3 for speed and style.

Summer Fun - 2016 F80 M3 | Tanzanite | Black FULL Leather | 6MT | Executive | Lighting | Driver Assist | Adaptive Suspension | 19" Black Wheels | Black Grills & Sides | Roof
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 06:29 AM   #32
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
M3 all the way, the V8 is unbelievable.

The 1M is kinda ugly while the E92 M3 is hot hot hot.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip@McKennaPerformance View Post
Test drive both and see which one you like more. They are completely different due to the engines / size / weight.
And this.

From a styling viewpoint, it's very personal, but I've always felt the 1 looked a little bloated around the middle.

I also was not ever thrilled with the whole forced induction thing, but that seems to be where the company is going.

Good luck I think either car would give you a lot of driving pleasure.
Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #33
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Right. Just make sure you are always in the right gear at between 6000 and 8400 rpm and the high strung high horsepower low torque naturally aspirated M car is a real screamer.

I have been driving for over 30 years and have had NA M cars and turbo cars (including aftermarket turbocharged M).

In most daily driving encounters, the 1M would scoot away from the M3. However, give the M3 driver the opportunity to prepare for the encounter by allowing time to change to the right gear and go up to 6000 rpm, and the M3 will probably edge out the 1M. Unfortunately, the reality is that most daily driving encounters do not allow that opportunity.

The M3 with DCT has a much better chance against the 1M in the unexpected and unplanned for daily driving encounters because it will do downshifts faster than a human and do downshifts the human might not bother with.

I'd be just as happy or probably even happier with the 1M, particularly if it cost 1/3 less. I wanted 4 doors, though, and did not want to build a project car by starting with a 335i and then modifying it.

I do like my M3, particularly with an x-pipe, pulley, filter and Vishnu meth tune. It really does go pretty good now. However, it still requires a lot more work to drive fast than a car with loads of torque. On the race track, you plan for that work and are expecting it. Daily driving on the street, you do not.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #34
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post

The M3 with DCT has a much better chance against the 1M in the unexpected and unplanned for daily driving encounters because it will do downshifts faster than a human and do downshifts the human might not bother with.
That's the thing, with stick I can see the appeal of the power lower down with TTs, but with DCT (it's the wife's) the fact power is higher up in the rev-range is a none issue as the car feels powerful whenever you apply throttle in D.

I must say, I liked the SMGIII but it in no way compares to DCT. 5% of the time I'd love a 3rd pedal, but that's not enough to warrant me getting one (and teaching the wife) unless we move out of the city.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #35
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

My next car will be DCT or its non-BMW equivalent. It is the more performance oriented transmission choice.

This is especially true with a car having the fun power way up top like the E90M3, but is also true even on a car with massive torque. Consider how the new M5 twin turbo with DCT runs away from the new M5 twin turbo with 6MT.

The only potential drawback I perceive is long term maintenance and repair expense. The costs will be higher, but they are not really known yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #36
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
My next car will be DCT or its non-BMW equivalent. It is the more performance oriented transmission choice.

This is especially true with a car having the fun power way up top like the E90M3, but is also true even on a car with massive torque. Consider how the new M5 twin turbo with DCT runs away from the new M5 twin turbo with 6MT.

The only potential drawback I perceive is long term maintenance and repair expense. The costs will be higher, but they are not really known yet.
I know it's off topic, but what are your thoughts about the next gen I6TT (reason I signed up here)? I am in two minds about changing my E92 for another 2013 E92 as I love the V8 mated to the DCT.....but I don't know if I'm the only person considering such a thing. The allure of the last NA M engine fully built by M without worry for emissions is a tempting, but is it worth it...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #37
NoM3ForMe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 Legacy, '07 Kia Sorrento

Lightbulb

I have always thought of the 1M as BMW saying, "Hey, look what we can do!" It doesn't ascribe to the true lineage of the ///M Brand since it uses turbos. That being said, however, I still think it is a fantastic car. But I would not choose it over the N/A V8 of the E9X M3.

The M3 on the other hand, is BMW saying, "Hey, look what we just did!" For two generations (E36/E46), the M3 had an inline-6. The E9X is, in my opinion, a swan song. Wouldn't you rather be a part of that last hurrah?
      09-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #38
apecush
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

The 1M is a surprisingly good looking car in person and quite rare. With that said, I still prefer my E90. Doesn't hurt that my M3 was faster than the 1M at the last track event I attended. This of course would change if the 1M wasn't stock...

I think it would have been badass if the 1M had the S65 engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #39
shaq diesel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 Alpine White E90 M3

Am I the only one that sees the 1M as a car for people who want "M3" type performance but in not as big a package as the 3-series body?

I personally like the size of the M3. Powerful enough to have all kinds of illegal fun and big enough to carry 4 friends (5 if they are small enough or are good contortionists) in comfort.

I just can't see cross-shopping everyone does with the 1M and the M3. Now a 1M and a Cayman I can see very clearly.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #40
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter View Post
I know it's off topic, but what are your thoughts about the next gen I6TT (reason I signed up here)? I am in two minds about changing my E92 for another 2013 E92 as I love the V8 mated to the DCT.....but I don't know if I'm the only person considering such a thing. The allure of the last NA M engine fully built by M without worry for emissions is a tempting, but is it worth it...
If I could afford the new M3, I would certainly sell my E90M3 and buy one, but I don't have that sort of car budget, unfortunately. The turbo torque will be awesome, and all accounts suggest it will outperform the E90M3. It will be a very fast, responsive car that will be entertaining when driven lazily in daily driving as well as when driven to its limits. The allure of the last NA M engine means little to me since I like forced induction and it outperforms natural aspiration. BMW will do a good job with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #41
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaq diesel View Post
Am I the only one that sees the 1M as a car for people who want "M3" type performance but in not as big a package as the 3-series body?

I personally like the size of the M3. Powerful enough to have all kinds of illegal fun and big enough to carry 4 friends (5 if they are small enough or are good contortionists) in comfort.

I just can't see cross-shopping everyone does with the 1M and the M3. Now a 1M and a Cayman I can see very clearly.
A lot of people have these cars as toys. They are just occasionally driven for amusement. The size does not matter. I already have a 1M sized hotrod in my turbo E36M3 and wanted a fun 4 door year round daily driver so the M3 was a good choice for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #42
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Seems like a lot of people talking out of their asses. People who haven't owned both cars or even driven both cars. Stock for stock both cars are identical in acceleration to 100mph. Both cars make it to 1/4 mile in 12.9sec, beyond that, aerodynamics and the M3's high end power will begin to take over and start creating a gap. Both cars pull a .97g on the skid pad. Both cars will brake from 70-0 in 158ft.

The M3 shines from 100-150mph and in the upper RPM range(5000-8400), the 1M shines in gear and the lower RPM range(1500-5000). There really isn't much to debate with performance. The mod-ability of the 1M is clearly easier/cheaper. The M3's V8 sounds incredible but my 1M with the Eisenmann exhaust sounds pretty damn good as well. Depending on what has been done to the car, one might pull slightly on the other. But who cares. Both cars are great cars, you just have to buy what fits your needs/wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
....the M3 is a proper enthusiast car.
The 1M was BMW M's response to enthusiasts demands/requests. The 1M is every bit a "proper enthusiast car" as the M3 and many would argue more so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
From what I've read online, guys go from 1M to M3, don't hear too many guys going the other way, but some who has, have gone back to M3. Drive both and make your decision then.
This is simply not true. There are far more M3 owners who wanted to own something new/different, in a smaller lighter package and made the switched to the 1M as a result. This is in no way a reflection on which car is better because one group switched from one vehicle to another. The M3 was around for almost 5 years when the 1M came out. Just something new/different. Yes there are a few 1M owners who saw an opportunity to make a $$ because of the limited supply and great demand, allowing them to make the switch to an M3 because they have never owned one before and with this quick profit they could get into that M3. There are also die hard owners among the 740 in the US that are not interested in parting with their cars, as is evident by the TWO cars in the entire country for sale on Cars.com currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
....The 1M is kinda ugly while the E92 M3 is hot hot hot......
I know looks are subjective and I can see someone "preferring" the looks of the M3 over the 1M or vice versa, but to call either car "ugly" is ridiculous! They are both nice looking cars, the 1M is definitely more aggressive looking, especially in the skin. With it's exaggerated fenders, the integrated air-curtain front bumper, the rear bumpers, the over all short wide appearance...etc. The M3 is more sleek fluid design, less boy-racer than the 1M and more sophisticated.

09-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #43
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Rabble! RABBLE RABBLE!
      09-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #44
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

^^ Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the 1M is a blast but the NA M3 is more proper enthusiastically speaking...or maybe I'm just old school.

Last edited by Denk; 09-06-2012 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 0