BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

04-11-2016, 06:46 AM   #1
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
E92 Coding Question {Mods, please don't relocate}

Hi all,
Asking here because you guys are basically the opinions I care about. I have never gotten into coding, but am thinking of starting. Ideally, I would prefer to do it myself, rather than having someone else do it, since I have a propensity to tinker. I am pretty computer literate, although I really only have Macs. My one PC may or may not hang around and I am not sure how all the port mapping would work if I tried on a virtualized Windows environment inside of Mac's OS.

So, my question.... Which coding so,union do you recommend - hardware and software?

I don't mind some complexity, but I am not super educated on automotive argot.
      04-11-2016, 07:18 AM   #2
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Hi all,
Asking here because you guys are basically the opinions I care about. I have never gotten into coding, but am thinking of starting. Ideally, I would prefer to do it myself, rather than having someone else do it, since I have a propensity to tinker. I am pretty computer literate, although I really only have Macs. My one PC may or may not hang around and I am not sure how all the port mapping would work if I tried on a virtualized Windows environment inside of Mac's OS.

So, my question.... Which coding solution do you recommend - hardware and software?

Interesting question. I asked myself this several years ago on my M6 and decided on this course of action:

I leave the actual coding to the pros (many will disagree) but if you go to the M5/M6 Board, the number of bricked cars is shocking. All were eventually repaired but some owners had to bring experts in for the repairs. This scared the crap out of me so the only thing I do is switch out my tunes for the S85 based on my activities. I have the following tunes: Track, High-Octane, Summer, Winter. I don't care about folding mirrors and the like. It is meant to be a bit rough and tumble so the extra amenities aren't a real consideration.

I'm a Mac guy, as well. I purchased an Acer specifically for this task which I keep in the car.

I hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2016, 07:21 AM   #3
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Interesting question. I asked myself this several years ago on my M6 and decided on this course of action:

I leave the actual coding to the pros (many will disagree) but if you go to the M5/M6 Board, the number of bricked cars is shocking. All were eventually repaired but some owners had to bring experts in for the repairs. This scared the crap out of me so the only thing I do is switch out my tunes for the S85 based on my activities. I have the following tunes: Track, High-Octane, Summer, Winter. I don't care about folding mirrors and the like. It is meant to be a bit rough and tumble so the extra amenities aren't a real consideration.

I'm a Mac guy, as well. I purchased an Acer specifically for this task which I keep in the car.

I hope this helps.
It does - thanks. That is actually not too far off of what I thought may be the right solution. Get a pro to make me a handful of "maps" that I could apply as desired. Although... I do like tinkering too, so I wasn't sure. Yeah, I don't really want to brick the thing - even if not permanent. I used to manually hexedit firmwares on phones and other devices, so I have a pretty high risk tolerance, but there is big difference between a phone and a car, in terms of risk.

Thanks.
      04-11-2016, 07:22 AM   #4
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

I can't help with the E series as I have never coded one.

I can however tell you if it is anything like the F series it will be very easy.

The hardest part I found was actually getting the software installed correctly with all the folders and files where they need to be.

Keep in mind the term coding is a misnomer, you are not actually coding anything but merely changing pre existing parameters.

Stop being a soft cock!
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2016, 07:24 AM   #5
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post

I can however tell you if it is anything like the F series it is actually very easy.

The hardest part I found was actually getting the software installed correctly with all the folders and files where they need to be.

Keep in mind the term coding is a misnomer, you are not actually coding anything but merely changing pre existing parameters.

Stop being a soft cock!
OMG - best response ever. Although, to properly translate your term to real English (aka 'Murican), that would be a "limp dick", but perhaps you were referring to boneless chicken. w/e

Yeah, I did realize it was just adjusting parameters. I think I have lost the penile softness to which you refer and am just deciding on how I want to get started. I really liked your... encouragement(?) though.
      04-11-2016, 07:24 AM   #6
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
It does - thanks. That is actually not too far off of what I thought may be the right solution. Get a pro to make me a handful of "maps" that I could apply as desired. Although... I do like tinkering too, so I wasn't sure. Yeah, I don't really want to brick the thing - even if not permanent. I used to manually hexedit firmwares on phones and other devices, so I have a pretty high risk tolerance, but there is big difference between a phone and a car, in terms of risk.

Thanks.
Yes. There are too many great coders for your engine to take this risk. I have no trouble jumping into mechanical upgrades...suspension, stress bars, etc., but the ECU's are a different animal.

Check out Evolve in the UK. Very impressive and proven gains.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2016, 07:26 AM   #7
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:

I can however tell you if it is anything like the F series it will be very easy.

Stop being a soft cock!
LOL! I love the closing but the highlighted falls under the category, 'Famous Last Words!'
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2016, 07:35 AM   #8
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Get in touch with shawnsheridan, he is the coding guru.

As I said I know nothing about the E series but he will sort you out.

Now I'll leave you in peace, I'm watching the recording of this morning's GP from Murica
Appreciate 3
      04-11-2016, 08:15 AM   #9
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Get in touch with shawnsheridan, he is the coding guru.

As I said I know nothing about the E series but he will sort you out.

Now I'll leave you in peace, I'm watching the recording of this morning's GP from Murica
Moto GP from Austin?
Appreciate 2
      04-11-2016, 08:16 AM   #10
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Hi all,

So, my question.... Which coding so,union do you recommend - hardware and software?

It depends on what you mean by "coding"

- Performance coding of the DME is one best left to tuner experts.
- module coding using NCSexpert (eg LCM for changing lighting etc)
Is something many of us do ourselves.
Other than a bit of a learning curve it's not that hard to do if you have reasonably good computer skills.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2016, 08:35 AM   #11
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
It depends on what you mean by "coding"

- Performance coding of the DME is one best left to tuner experts.
- module coding using NCSexpert (eg LCM for changing lighting etc)
Is something many of us do ourselves.
Other than a bit of a learning curve it's not that hard to do if you have reasonably good computer skills.
Thanks - this is extremely helpful. I think this is probably the missing link in my understanding. This breaks the problem down better for me.
      04-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #12
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Mods, wrong forum - please move.
      04-11-2016, 12:16 PM   #13
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
Mods, wrong forum - please move.
      04-11-2016, 12:21 PM   #14
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi all,

Now I will really answer.

I use to code all my cars. It's terribly simple but your biggest problem (as was mine) was the lack of a Windows machine. I run Linux. When I ran Windows in VM (Virtual Machine) I would some times have issues getting the software to connect to the machine.

1. Buy the adapter or create one yourself. You can get one on ebay for cheap. It likely connects under your steering wheel and then into the Ethernet / RJ45 (network) jack on your computer.

2. Download the software - you will have to search the forums for it but it's not hard to find. It's likely a password protected zip file.

3. Install software, follow instructions that is likely bundled with it.

4. The "codes" are most likely in German but people have spreadsheets with the conversions. Find that in the same place you found the software.

The software is HUGE so get ready for a long DL.

I didn't go into greater detail because you probably won't get to step one since "I am pretty computer literate" and "I really only have Mac".

I would give you everything you need but I think I deleted it all because no BMW. I do however still have the cable somewhere so if you get serious and actually DL the software I can send you the cable for free if I find it. Don't waste my time and ask me to find it if you aren't ready to go after it.

Finally, always back up your shit before making changes.

Last edited by gtron; 04-11-2016 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: steering not staring ;)
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 12:27 PM   #15
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
Now I will really answer.

I use to code all my cars. It's terribly simple but your biggest problem (as was mine) was the lack of a Windows machine. I run Linux. When I ran Windows in VM (Virtual Machine) I would some times have issues getting the software to connect to the machine.

1. Buy the adapter or create one yourself. You can get one on ebay for cheap. It likely connects under your staring wheel and then into the Ethernet / RJ45 (network) jack on your computer.

2. Download the software - you will have to search the forums for it but it's not hard to find. It's likely a password protected zip file.

3. Install software, follow instructions that is likely bundled with it.

4. The "codes" are most likely in German but people have spreadsheets with the conversions. Find that in the same place you found the software.

The software is HUGE so get ready for a long DL.

I didn't go into greater detail because you probably won't get to step one since "I am pretty computer literate" and "I really only have Mac".

I would give you everything you need but I think I deleted it all because no BMW. I do however still have the cable somewhere so if you get serious and actually DL the software I can send you the cable for free if I find it. Don't waste my time and ask me to find it if you aren't ready to go after it.

Finally, always back up your shit before making changes.
Thanks - super generous. If I decide to go for it and actually boot the Stinkpad that I store in a drawer I will hit you up for some help and maybe that cable. Thanks man, I appreciate it.

I ran Ubuntu for a few years - never got "deep" though. I was waiting for the slam to follow "computer literate" and "mac only" ... hehe... it didn't come. I am actually pretty good though. Not programmer good, but I can muck around in the command line and not kill anybody.
      04-11-2016, 12:32 PM   #16
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks - super generous. If I decide to go for it and actually boot the Stinkpad that I store in a drawer I will hit you up for some help and maybe that cable. Thanks man, I appreciate it.

I ran Ubuntu for a few years - never got "deep" though. I was waiting for the slam to follow "computer literate" and "mac only" ... hehe... it didn't come. I am actually pretty good though. Not programmer good, but I can muck around in the command line and not kill anybody.
No prob.

Nice. Ubuntu got too "Windows Wannabie" but they do stay the most up to date so are pretty stable. I think a good alternative is Xubuntu - basically all the good stuff about Ubuntu but runs the faster and cleaner Xfce Desktop.
      04-11-2016, 08:57 PM   #17
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
bmwhat?

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0