BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

10-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #23
bsacamano
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
how about looking far ahead and not driving faster than your skill? If you hit a stationary object dead ahead, then you really have no one to blame but yourself for it.
If you can't possibly imagine a scenario where a safe, aware driver who is driving the speed limit could still get into an accident, you either haven't been driving very long or you don't have much of an imagination. That tire could have been stationary only after it came to a rest after the accident. If an 18 wheeler pulls next to you and one of the tires flies of directly at your car, there isn't much you can do.

I literally had a tire bounce directly over me once.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 03:46 PM   #24
Mr. Liu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 '14 E63 '05 E55K

My M3 is so fast I would just punch it vrooooooooooom and fly over it smooooth sailing
      10-16-2014, 03:49 PM   #25
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Liu View Post
My M3 is so fast I would just punch it vrooooooooooom and fly over it smooooth sailing
What are you smoking man ?

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #26
Mr. Liu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 '14 E63 '05 E55K

Slow day at work my friend.

Anyways - back in my old car, I hit a super huge pothole on the freeway and made the city pay for it.
      10-16-2014, 04:49 PM   #27
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Well I drove over a ladder on the freeway.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #28
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Well I drove over a ladder on the freeway.
Upstairs ?

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 07:10 PM   #29
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsacamano View Post
If you can't possibly imagine a scenario where a safe, aware driver who is driving the speed limit could still get into an accident, you either haven't been driving very long or you don't have much of an imagination. That tire could have been stationary only after it came to a rest after the accident. If an 18 wheeler pulls next to you and one of the tires flies of directly at your car, there isn't much you can do.

I literally had a tire bounce directly over me once.
If the object was on the move, your insurance company may look at the claim differently. Depends on the insurer. You still need to find and document the other vehicle though, because in the absence of someone else to sue, you're taking the hit in the reclassification (and therefore, your insurance premium).

The cost of insurance is, ultimately, a math equation. The cost of insuring a class (group) of drivers is spread out over the group, and marked up for a (regulated) profit. If you end up reclassified as the result of a claim, you're going to pay higher costs, regardless of who was at fault. Sucks, but that's insurance.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 10:11 PM   #30
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Upstairs ?
No not up a ladder.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 11:46 PM   #31
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

I love the comments from people who say that if you are driving safely and with enough distance that you can avoid flying debris from the road. You ever seen an unpredictable tire bounce around on a freeway? It's like Plinko. Plus, just because you can stop quickly, doesn't mean the guy behind you will. Even if I used my crystal ball and told you on a wide open stretch of road that a tire would be suddenly coming your way, I bet you'd still have a pretty good chance of hitting it.

Honestly the naivety on these forums sometimes is mind boggling.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #32
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
I love the comments from people who say that if you are driving safely and with enough distance that you can avoid flying debris from the road. You ever seen an unpredictable tire bounce around on a freeway? It's like Plinko. Plus, just because you can stop quickly, doesn't mean the guy behind you will. Even if I used my crystal ball and told you on a wide open stretch of road that a tire would be suddenly coming your way, I bet you'd still have a pretty good chance of hitting it.

Agreed. Nothing is a certainty.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #33
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Naivety is believing that all accidents are the same. The circumstances have everything to do with the outcome. If someone hits you from behind, they're at fault, which can save you from reclassification. Your insurance company will sue the other guy's insurance, which recoups their costs and keeps you in the same class.

There are no absolutes, you can't always avoid an accident, but you can decrease your chances of having an accident. If you hit something that was lying stationary in the roadway, you didn't have sufficient time to react between seeing the object and hitting it. The next logical question is, "Why didn't I have time to react?" You can choose to get defensive about the potential answers to those questions, or you can be objective about it and simply say, "More distance between me and the car in front of me would have allowed me to avoid hitting the tire. Could I have created a scenario where I had more distance?"

The counter claim that you can't always accomplish that is valid. You can't, and I'm not claiming you can 100% of the time. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. You should also try to be as honest as you can with yourself about your driving habits, because avoiding accidents comes from forming good habits.

I understand that it's natural to feel defensive about these kinds of things. Everyone thinks they're a better than average driver. It's called "illusory superiority", and it's a pervasive cognitive bias. As I've aged, I've grown more reflective and self-aware. I'm more ready to look at my driving and identify the areas where I could do better. I find that more often, I actively create space between me and the guy in front of me. Sometimes I get frustrated and I follow too closely. The thing is, I'm aware of it, so I'm able to improve my habits. Telling yourself that you can't do these things is an excuse to form bad habits. You can fight with me all you like about it, but your insurance company is still going to reclassify you in to a higher risk category, and increase your premium when you get in an accident. If your goal is to avoid that, then you have to do these things.

Last edited by bradleyland; 10-17-2014 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 03:23 PM   #34
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Naivety is believing that all accidents are the same. The circumstances have everything to do with the outcome. If someone hits you from behind, they're at fault, which can save you from reclassification. Your insurance company will sue the other guy's insurance, which recoups their costs and keeps you in the same class.

There are no absolutes, you can't always avoid an accident, but you can decrease your chances of having an accident. If you hit something that was lying stationary in the roadway, you didn't have sufficient time to react between seeing the object, and hitting it. The next logical question is, "Why didn't I have time to react?" You can choose to get defensive about the potential answers to those questions, or you can be objective about it and simply say, "More distance between me and the car in front of me would have allowed me to avoid hitting the tire. Could I have created a scenario where I had more distance?"

The counter claim that you can't always accomplish that is valid. You can't, and I'm not claiming you can 100% of the time. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. You should also try to be as honest as you can with yourself about your driving habits, because avoiding accidents comes from forming good habits.

I understand that it's natural to feel defensive about these kinds of things. Everyone thinks they're a better than average driver. It's called "illusory superiority", and it's a pervasive cognitive bias. As I've aged, I've grown more reflective and self-aware. I'm more ready to look at my driving and identify the areas where I could do better. I find that more often, I actively create space between me and the guy in front of me. Sometimes I get frustrated and I follow too closely. The thing is, I'm aware of it, so I'm able to improve my habits. Telling yourself that you can't do these things is an excuse to form bad habits. You can fight with me all you like about it, but your insurance company is still going to reclassify you in to a higher risk category, and increase your premium when you get in an accident. If your goal is to avoid that, then you have to do these things.
Wow, thanks for the psychology lesson. As you've aged, you've also become a lot less fun.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 03:27 PM   #35
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
If you have comprehensive, they SHOULD cover it no questions asked, but it'll still be your fault (unless you can track down the driver who left it there).

That's what comprehensive insurance is...if they can't find the liable 2nd party, then you'll still be covered, even if you're not at fault.

They have to assign fault to someone, and if the 2nd party can't be located, then it's you. Don't get mad about it, it's just how it works and what you pay for in premiums.

If you're asking about in the future whether you should hit road debris vs an alternative:

My view is, you'd rather run into the tire and pay for the damange than run yourself off the road or swerve and hit someone else.

The logic is, your liability amounts (and downside risk) would be much lower than if you hit someone else or if you ditch your car or flip it in a dangerous maneuver.

that's why they always said, if you're about to hit a deer and it's unavoidable, just hit it. It's much worst to swerve head on into the other lane where you can hurt another motorist, or if you do a crazy maneuver and flip your car and kill yourself. Then you'll be 100% liable and can get sued for damages you've caused.

make sense?

A little false info. If a tire falls off a truck, HITS THE GROUND FIRST, and you strike it, then this is considered collision as you hit a fixed object. Animals are mostly comp claims, but if the tire were to be in the back of a pick up bed and fly out and hit your car before hitting the ground this would be considered a comp claim. It's a little confusing.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #36
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
A little false info. If a tire falls off a truck, HITS THE GROUND FIRST, and you strike it, then this is considered collision as you hit a fixed object. Animals are mostly comp claims, but if the tire were to be in the back of a pick up bed and fly out and hit your car before hitting the ground this would be considered a comp claim. It's a little confusing.
wow! did not know that hitting the ground makes a distinction in the type of claim!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #37
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
Is it not...From who and from what vehicle is the tire ?

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 03:50 PM   #38
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Is it not...From who and from what vehicle is the tire ?
If you can get the tag info than yes for subrogation potential they will go after the driver's insurance for reimbursement; however, the classification of coverage remains.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 04:12 PM   #39
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

what if you had a "guest" inside the trunk of your car. Then when you opened the trunk, said "guest" jumped out and you reversed and accidentally hit her while she was stationary? Comprehensive or Collision?

Last edited by Flying Ace; 10-17-2014 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 04:12 PM   #40
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wow, thanks for the psychology lesson. As you've aged, you've also become a lot less fun.
Any time.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #41
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Old people, what can you do? At least he lives in the proper state for his age. Florida, God's waiting room.

Quote:
what if you had a "guest" inside the trunk of your car. Then when you opened the trunk, said "guest" jumped out and you reversed and accidentally hit her while she was stationary? Comprehensive or Collision?
Has she already hit the ground when you reversed, or was she still in the process of jumping out of the car? If the latter, then the hooker..er, "guest" is technically still considered part of the car, and you could be penalized for failing to properly secure your luggage.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #42
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Oh, she was stationary, huh? Sure... sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #43
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I thought if you stored it in your trunk it became property and you can hit it at will.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #44
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I thought if you stored it in your trunk it became property and you can hit it at will.
but if vehicle is damaged, I would still want to make a claim.
Appreciate 0