BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-21-2015, 10:39 PM   #1
Tracyis300
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

Ipe f1 CA smog

Has anyone with the full ipe f1, pass the CA smog? Or passed the smog with the sniffer in general?
I would hate to put back the OEM mid-section & cats on again
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 11:07 PM   #2
pooyab
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 2020 BMW M5C

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I doubt anyone has, but just swap to the stock parts for smog, then once you pass switch back, it's once every 2 years anyways.
Interlagos Blue/Speed Cloth | BayOptiks DTM Headlights | Alpine Stage 2 | KW Clubsport | Resonated X-Pipe | Eisenmann Race | StopTech BBK | TE37SL | YFCM CF Driveshaft | Hotchkis F/R Sways | F/R Endlinks | Turner Control Arms and Front Tension Bushings | Powerflex Diff Bushings | Turner Solid Subframe Bushings | MS Underdrive Pulley and Intake | Alpine DCT Tune | Karbonius Intake | Carbon Roof (TBD)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
grantmax
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

Find a smog shop willing to take USD in exchange for ignoring CO2.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 11:29 AM   #4
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
most smog shops are switching to obII testing. i'm not sure how that works with a tune, but i think there's a way around it now since most shops are switching over. anyone correct or please add info because this could be a big deal for ca folk who don't have oem cats.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 11:43 AM   #5
s14_kev
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
most smog shops are switching to obII testing. i'm not sure how that works with a tune, but i think there's a way around it now since most shops are switching over. anyone correct or please add info because this could be a big deal for ca folk who don't have oem cats.
OBDII testing gets rid of the sniffer, but you still have to have all readiness sensors working (can't just turn off the CEL and be ok). Not to mention visual if your shop knows what they're looking at.

Best bet is still to have your stock cats/tune on the car. BTW it is CA law that all shops have to be on OBDII testing now, no more sniffer anywhere. This is already in effect.
      07-09-2015, 09:17 PM   #6
Tracyis300
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

*update*

I just did my smog, and "Yes" the IPE F1 will pass?! As long as they don't look for the CATS :

Dude didn't even know how to put the car in gear (DCT) so he asked me for some assistance. All he did was plug in his OBD2 and did a scan, and that was it. But I'm still going to hold on to my stock, just in case i get pulled over for a modified exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 10:57 PM   #7
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyis300 View Post
*update*

I just did my smog, and "Yes" the IPE F1 will pass?! As long as they don't look for the CATS :

Dude didn't even know how to put the car in gear (DCT) so he asked me for some assistance. All he did was plug in his OBD2 and did a scan, and that was it. But I'm still going to hold on to my stock, just in case i get pulled over for a modified exhaust
Who's tune are you running?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 11:19 PM   #8
Tracyis300
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer
Quote:
*update*

Stock!
IPE test pipes don't really trigger the cel's. And if they do? It will eventually clear it self or you can clear it with the OBD2.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 02:41 AM   #9
Bomiz
Captain
Rep
Drives: SS E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyis300
Quote:
Quote:
*update*

Stock!
IPE test pipes don't really trigger the cel's. And if they do? It will eventually clear it self or you can clear it with the OBD2.
How were your oxygen sensors ready if you were catless?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 10:02 AM   #10
Tracyis300
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyis300
Quote:
Quote:
*update*

Stock!
How were your oxygen sensors ready if you were catless?
I'm puzzled by that as well:

Their test pipes look like all the others, but i guess it's how they made the o2 inserts or it could be something more?

It will still trigger a cel! But then it would go away on its own or by using a obd2. But that rarely happens (had it on for about a year now and the cel came on once. I cleared it with my obd2, and i was good to go).

I did a search on the web, and it just says that the way the system is designed, it won't trigger the cel, so it is street legal (except for the sound when the system is on

I did another search on the form, and there's a guy from a different state, that also passed his smog. And I believe they do the same testing as California?!

I'm running the stock tune, so the "readiness" is active.
Hopefully someone on here can explain the deferences of their test pipes from the others?
Appreciate 0