BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

10-03-2013, 01:06 AM   #45
CSL_E36
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 96' S54 E36 ///M3 17' M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbow64
Just got my oil sample back after my first oil change running solely on the supercharger. I have 70,243 miles on the car. I've had the supercharger on since April and for about 7k miles. The last oil change was before MFest about 5500 miles ago. I'm running Castrol Edge Professional TWS 10w/60 and did not have to add any oil in between changes. I drove to Vegas from El Paso and back. Ran a track day in Vegas and a couple autox events.

The comments on the oil sample:
"It would be hard to ask for much better results than these. Universal averages for the M3's S65 engine are based on ~5,800 miles of oil use; your oil run was very similar, and the engine produced wear metals that were nearly identical to our average levels. In fact, aluminum and iron were exactly the same, while copper and lead were reading below average levels, so your bearing wear is better than most we've seen. No moisture, dirt, or insolubles were found, and the TBN is good at 3.4, showing plenty of active additive remaining in the oil. Try 7,500 miles next. Nice!"
Thats a pretty impressive oil report.
Can you post a copy of it? You said they mentioned your copper and lead levels were below avg. Im curious as to HOW MUCH lower....after 70k miles, your report may put the "guaranteed failure of S65 rod bearings" debate at ease.
      10-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #46
Longbow64
_______
Rep
Drives: 15 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport

Disregard the make up oil added. I thought it meant oil replaced for the oil change. Doesn't affect the numbers. This doesn't end the bearing debate by any means. All of the cars are different and have the potential to have rod bearing issues. There are a number of variables, most of which are discussed in the bearing wiki thread. I'm convinced that it really comes down to how much clearance you have on your particular car and then all the other variables factor into how quickly your bearings go bad.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Oil Analysis.pdf (301.9 KB, 66 views)