BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-13-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
XYR03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman S

First time snowboarding!!! Need some tips!

I'm going snowboarding with my gf's family and dont wanna make a fool out of myself, which is likely since its my first time. I've done alot of skatboarding when I was in highschool but I heard its totally different. So, I'm reaching out to my favorite group of folks to get some pointers.
1998-E36 M3
2007-E92 328i[/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
GregTheStig
derp
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a Tuk Tuk

Don't get in the way of any skiers

12-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Steer with your back foot and be prepared to spend a lot of time on your ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTheStig View Post
Don't get in the way of any skiers

+1
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #4
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

you WILL look like an ass...but enjoy it.

Do you have any 'snow' foundation in terms of knowing how to ski? if you know how to ski, and you know how to skateboard, your foundation should be alright and you should be quick enough.

If you've never ski'ed it's really not like skateboarding at all unfortunately (at least to me)
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
And if you're going on any chairlifts with skiers we do appreciate when you sit on the side of the lift where your board will swing away (depends on which foot you put first) so when getting off our shit isn't all tangled
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Snowboarding isn't like skateboarding either.

Suck up your pride and take lessons, no one picks up snowboarding without lessons or at least being told the basics, it just doesn't happen, it's too counter intuitive.

If you do get the hang of it, next time you go there's a certain set of squats you should do for the months prior, snowboarding works an inner thigh muscle that nothing else really works.

If your GFs a snowboarder already, don't be a dick and make sure she goes and has fun instead of baby sitting your butt. Nothing sucks more then the baby slopes with someone that falls every 3 seconds.

Oh and I can't stress this enough, ALWAYS lean away from the downhill, catching a front edge when the board is sideways results in all your momentum being transferred into your face hitting the snow, where as falling backwards is just like sitting down.
      12-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Bring some Tylenol/Advil/Motrin .... Leave your pride at home. It is not easy and takes a lot of time to get good at. Most of all, HAVE FUN!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 10:59 AM   #8
Serious
1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

If you've skateboarded you will be fine, it's completely different but the balance is the same.

I've taught many people to snowboard (used to be an instructor) one trick, just like driving cars on a track is that you will go where you look, so once you have the basic balance and ability to hold an edge your body will naturally follow your eyes to a spot on the hill.

One thing that can help, but often noobs don't do it because they think it's goofy looking is to actually point with your front arm (left if regular, right if goofy) where you want to go, this points your shoulders and will cause your hips to follow. Also bend your knees and have a low center of gravity, this will make it easier to transition from heelside to toeside and as a plus you won't have as fall to far as if you were standing upright.
      12-13-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
intensee92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your Girl Crazy.

try to be limber. riding down the mountain being all stiff will result in being on your ass.

bend your knees slighty when strapped in to your board.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 11:04 AM   #10
DenverJayhawk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

I've snowboarded since 1999. I also ski too. Best advice is to take a lesson. Lots of people say they don't want to spend half a day taking a lesson when they are only visiting for a long weekend. But trust me, it's the best thing you'll ever do. Sign up for a half day lesson on your first day out. By the end of the weekend, you'll be doing blue runs no problem and possibly some easy black diamonds. Once you put together a several nice S curves on a groomed run, you'll feel like you're in heaven.

The other advice is keep your center of gravity forward and low...that is bend your knees and keep your weight towards the front foot. Also, always have an edge in the snow. Don't have your board parallel to the terrain. The board needs to be moving and have an edge in the snow to be stable. This is why you will always see snowboarders sitting when they are not moving.

The learning curve for riding is much shorter than skiing. Becoming a good skier takes years of consistent practice where as snowboarding only takes a couple days.

Whatever you do, for the love of god, wear a helmet. Don't end up with a concussion or brain injury on your vacation.

330i, Black Sapphire, 6MT, Sport, Active Steering, Flux Capacitor
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #11
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Is this a weekend trip? If not, lessons are going to be difficult considering what time they arrive to the mtn.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 11:06 AM   #12
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Steer with your back foot and be prepared to spend a lot of time on your ass

+1
DO NOT steer with your back foot lol.

I am a snowboard instructor and the best advice I can give you: Take lessons.

It is not easy to start, but once you know what to do, it goes pretty well lol.

And good luck with your ass after the first day
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 11:15 AM   #13
DenverJayhawk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
Is this a weekend trip? If not, lessons are going to be difficult considering what time they arrive to the mtn.
This is a common mis-statement that inhibits lots of potential new snowboarders. Even if it's a weekend trip, there's still time for a lesson. Sure, you sacrifice half a day out of a 2-3 day trip, but by the end of the weekend, you'll at least be riding green or blue runs without spending the entire day on your ass. Then the next trip out, it's gravy.

330i, Black Sapphire, 6MT, Sport, Active Steering, Flux Capacitor
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #14
XYR03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman S

alright got the list down:

1.) Take Lessons
2.) Low center of gravity, weight on front foot
3.) Point with arms to direction desired
4.) Always have an edge in the snow to be stable
5.) Fall on your ass
6.) Wear a helment

its only a 2 day trip so it kinda sucks. I'll keep you guys updated but keep the tips coming! thanks alot!
1998-E36 M3
2007-E92 328i[/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 11:34 AM   #15
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYR03 View Post
alright got the list down:

1.) Take Lessons
2.) Low center of gravity, weight on front foot
3.) Point with arms to direction desired
4.) Always have an edge in the snow to be stable
5.) Fall on your ass
6.) Wear a helment
7.) Be courteous to and conscious of other mountain users

its only a 2 day trip so it kinda sucks. I'll keep you guys updated but keep the tips coming! thanks alot!
Really, not trying to be a dick or anything, but it amazes me how oblivious people can be. Can also be potentially dangerous. We're all there to share and have a good time
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #16
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Bring good pants. You'll be spending a lot of time on your ass.

Don't wear a wool sweater. Snow will cake up and weigh down the bottom of it. It'll sag and stretch massively.

Watch your heelside edge on a toeside turn. Those spills are the nastiest of them all, and they get a lot of the beginners once they are comfortable moving at a decent clip. It'll whip the back of your head straight into the ground with some force.

Other than that, just do what everyone else said too. Honestly, without lessons, you're gonna have a bad time.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 11:55 AM   #17
Mahmood07
Captain
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 + F85 X5M

I suggest you buy wrist protection, thats what I did the first time and it helped a lot! it prevents ur wrist from bending to a certain angle and has a plastic part to protect ur hand when you fall.
///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 11:59 AM   #18
Mr.RT
Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Best advice on here is take lessons, ull enjoy your weekend better.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #19
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Buy a wrist guard. The kind you get for roller blading. Strong stuff. And take a lesson.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #20
coh4777
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i Coupe

Honestly, you are probably gonna spend a lot of time falling on your butt and nosediving into the snow. Snowboarding is just too difficult to pick up the first time to look anywhere near smooth and experienced. But every boarder still remembers what that was like, so I'm sure your gf and her family will understand. Just take lessons in the morning and then maybe try to join up with them for the last hour or two. Don't try to be too aggressive with it because you'll probably end up with a broken bone or a concussion.

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #21
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Also, if everybody in the family skis/snowboards, they will appreciate you taking a lesson vs. slowing them down on the slopes. Take your lesson and then at the end of the day take a run with them and show them your new moves. Then do the same thing the next day.

I remember in the beginning it would take me 45 minutes to make a full run from the top of the gondola when I was just learning. Same stuff I do in a tenth of the time now. But stopping and waiting for people, especially people who fall sucks.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 12:39 PM   #22
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by abisson View Post
DO NOT steer with your back foot lol.

I am a snowboard instructor and the best advice I can give you: Take lessons.

It is not easy to start, but once you know what to do, it goes pretty well lol.

And good luck with your ass after the first day
Well you sure as hell don't steer with your front foot. As a beginner, it's perfectly fine to steer with your back foot. As you get better, you will learn different techniques such as carving, etc. Keep your knees bent and you will have to train yourself to not be scared to lean. I know for some people, it's a little scary. I remember when I first started, I was so scared to lean hard on my heel side. Lol idk why. You're not gonna be a pro the first day. Hell, you might not even make it down the hill without falling the first day. Just take your time, be safe and you'll eventually get the hang of it. Enjoy

The resorts just opened up in my area. So excited. They should have the park up and running by next week hopefully.
Appreciate 0