BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #1
fbm3cab
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Spoiler installation is Betalink replaced with Betatech

I plan on installing a C/F Challenge rear diffuser, C/F Duke Dynamics rear spoiler and C/F Revinora front street chin on my Individual Frozen black E93 M3 that I ordered 3 months ago and will finally take delivery of in November.

I was going to use betalink but have determined in my searches that it is replaced with DOW Betatech.
Has anyone used this new adhesive, and if so is there a prep and or cleaner that needs to be used for bonding of C/F parts to the car.

I used 3M tape on my 335is rear spoiler but don't want to use it for this job because I want a permanent installation with minimal gaps and these are larger parts that will have more wind force applied.

BMW did the kidney grills, side gills and exhaust tips in black at the factory and my dealer will swap the wheels to the comp. matte black and have the windows tinted and chrome trim wrapped before I take delivery but I feel confident that I can do the spoilers and diffuser myself.

Does anyone have advise?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 01:49 AM   #2
M3ZCP6MT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 381 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbm3cab View Post
I plan on installing a C/F Challenge rear diffuser, C/F Duke Dynamics rear spoiler and C/F Revinora front street chin on my Individual Frozen black E93 M3 that I ordered 3 months ago and will finally take delivery of in November.

I was going to use betalink but have determined in my searches that it is replaced with DOW Betatech.
Has anyone used this new adhesive, and if so is there a prep and or cleaner that needs to be used for bonding of C/F parts to the car.

I used 3M tape on my 335is rear spoiler but don't want to use it for this job because I want a permanent installation with minimal gaps and these are larger parts that will have more wind force applied.

BMW did the kidney grills, side gills and exhaust tips in black at the factory and my dealer will swap the wheels to the comp. matte black and have the windows tinted and chrome trim wrapped before I take delivery but I feel confident that I can do the spoilers and diffuser myself.

Does anyone have advise?
Not sure of the new adhesive but the front splitters with Betalink are holding up very well. You've said that you used 3M for rear spoiler on your 2011 335i, how has it been holding up?

/// M3 + 6MT + ZCP + ///MPE = A Healthy Addiction ///
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
fbm3cab
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

The 3M has held up fine and its been over 2 years. I don't feel it will perform as well with larger spoilers and diffuser.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

3M FTW, faster, cleaner, and it stick good, no gaps.!
      10-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
bobbym3beats
newb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

I haven't used the renamed/updated adhesive yet. But I will be using it soon to install my spoiler. According to the Dow MSDS on Beta Clean 3350, it "removes dirt and grease from plastic, metals, and glass". I've seen this Beta Clean pictured with the old Betalink adhesive so I think you could use it to prep surfaces before bonding. You can get a quart of Beta Clean and two different sizes of Beta Tech from these guys: http://krayden.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://krayden.com/"...ayden.com/</a>

*Edit: I got an email from krayden and they require a minimum orders of 12 betatech and 48 betaclean. I think I may be ordering from ECS or maybe I'll just go with mounting tape.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbm3cab View Post
The 3M has held up fine and its been over 2 years. I don't feel it will perform as well with larger spoilers and diffuser.
My BMW performance spoiler, Arkym diffuser, and Arkym lip stay on just fine at 150 MPH. I would NOT permanently glue anything to your M3, especially since it has special paint.

You also have to consider that if the fitment of your parts is off just a bit (which it most likely will be), you will have gaps regardless and the adhesive won't bond properly where as foam tape has some thickness to it.

My parts have no gaps caused by tape. The only gaps are due to slight fitment issues (tolerable ones IMO). My BMW performance spoiler fits perfect with no gaps at all, tape or otherwise. My Arkym parts have some extremely minor fitment issues but enough that I am not confident that liquid adhesive would bond properly.
      10-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #7
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Jaguar F-Type S AWD

I used 3M tape as well for my performance spoiler and there's no problems whatsoever. No gaps and I can remove it whenever I want
2017 Porsche Macan Turbo
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 10:36 PM   #8
fbm3cab
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Okay then, you guys have me thinking twice about adhesive. Think I will use the tape after all.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 06:40 AM   #9
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Beta link is not permanent guys, been there done that, it's just more of a PIA to clean.

Those with 3m tape that don't think they have any gaps, you do.

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0