BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #23
OOO
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: in the slow lane

The new iPhone is fugly. It looks exactly the same except taller. Why not wider also? Same endless row of apps.
      09-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #24
straightcashhomie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
Those are the upgrade prices for existing, eligible contracts?
non eligible, if u are eligible u will get the 199, 299, and 399 prices i believe.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #25
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnnnzzz View Post
do you know what the price is w/o contract?
i told this guy at my office $450 for my 64GB 4S and he was cool w/ it. They go for $500-600 on ebay, sometimes even higher but I dont like dealing w/ ebay if i dont have to

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
I'm curious to know for all of you that say nothing new, what kind of things were you hoping for on the new iPhone?

It seems like the main recipe for a revise is: bigger screen, faster processor and lighter with a sleek new design.
yup, and its not like we already didn't know what was coming, so dont know why people were getting their hopes up for some miracle technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
I agree with you 100%.

As an engineering student, I can really sit back and enjoy all the intense engineering that goes into all phones(including iPhone).

People seem to be going "meh", but if you look at it from an engineering point of you, you can see how crazy they got things the way they were.

1) LTE. Yes, there are many phones that have LTE. It is not something new. However, everyone knows phones now with LTE have horrible battery life. My friend has a Razr Maxx, and he told me he has to charge it everyday. The fact that Apple got BETTER battery life(then 4S) while upgrading to LTE is a big improvement.

2) Size/Weight. Look at all the "other phones". They are all MUCH bigger then the iPhone. The fact that Apple got the iPhone 5 specs to match the GS3 and making it thinner by 18% and lighter by 20% of the 4S is VERY hard to engineer.

3) Look - Looks are subjective, but I am not a fan of the big android phones in terms of looks and style. The iPhone just looks SEXY. Most(but not all) are made out of plastic and too big IMO. Of course, this is subjective : )

Also, as you stated, its not about specs. It depends largely on the operating system. My friend has a google nexus that is overclocked(and he claims to be faster then my phone), yet when we did some test for fun, my iPhone 4 beat his. We both opened up web browser, and went to an image intensive website.

Why did I win? Who knows? He had a better processor. Maybe the safari app is better written and so works faster/better(aka more optimized). Maybe my wifi chip was better so I was getting a better wireless signal?

Also, people can't expect amazing new features to come out every single year. The original iPhone was amazing because it disrupted the cell phone market. It changed the way everything was done.

Its like cars. BMW sells a new generation of cars ~every 5 years. People can't expect an entirely new iPhone(or Android or Windows) device each and every year. Like cars, they get yearly bumps/new things, but the biggest, and most radical changes, are done in large gaps as the technology gets there.

Quote:
oh fuck, guess im not upgrading yet
damn, you must of just gotten your 4S
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #26
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Quote:
non eligible, if u are eligible u will get the 199, 299, and 399 prices i believe.
Ah, thx. I'm going from a 4 to a 5, so I'll see a big performance jump.
      09-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #27
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

Another row of static icons, wow

iOS is so boring, it needs a change
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #28
Kensta335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006 View Post

Jailbreak, winterboard.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #29
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensta335 View Post
Jailbreak, winterboard.
And if not that, what would one suggest?

I agree the UI in iOS is getting a little tired, but what can be suggested outside of what's already been done, which are tiles and widgets?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #30
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Holograms.

Mfukers want to R2D2 a bitch on the wall at any given time.

People want to be wowed by apple every year and after all the bashing on apple dies down, they will still quietly go into an apple store and quietly buy one. lol

*Mint VZW razr maxx for sale*
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #31
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
Holograms.

Mfukers want to R2D2 a bitch on the wall at any given time.

People want to be wowed by apple every year and after all the bashing on apple dies down, they will still quietly go into an apple store and quietly buy one. lol

*Mint VZW razr maxx for sale*
Well if the consumers would actually grow tired of the UI or whatever else, and stop buying the product, maybe Apple would actually start trying to find the next clever package.... But as long as the sheep keep bleating and buying the phone in the numbers they do, this is what we will get, year-in and year-out...

And honestly it's up to the competition to force Apple's hand in that regard. But the competition isn't doing so well right now so Apple can sit on their laurels.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #32
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
I will get it because I didn't get the 4s and stuck with my 4. This will be a bigger upgrade for me.
That's what i did, got in on the rotation for the model redesign rather than the mid model upgrade "s" versions. Every 2 years get an upgrade for next to nothing with the sale of a pristine 32g iPhone 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
I agree with you 100%.

As an engineering student, I can really sit back and enjoy all the intense engineering that goes into all phones(including iPhone).

People seem to be going "meh", but if you look at it from an engineering point of you, you can see how crazy they got things the way they were.

1) LTE. Yes, there are many phones that have LTE. It is not something new. However, everyone knows phones now with LTE have horrible battery life. My friend has a Razr Maxx, and he told me he has to charge it everyday. The fact that Apple got BETTER battery life(then 4S) while upgrading to LTE is a big improvement.

2) Size/Weight. Look at all the "other phones". They are all MUCH bigger then the iPhone. The fact that Apple got the iPhone 5 specs to match the GS3 and making it thinner by 18% and lighter by 20% of the 4S is VERY hard to engineer.

3) Look - Looks are subjective, but I am not a fan of the big android phones in terms of looks and style. The iPhone just looks SEXY. Most(but not all) are made out of plastic and too big IMO. Of course, this is subjective : )

Also, as you stated, its not about specs. It depends largely on the operating system. My friend has a google nexus that is overclocked(and he claims to be faster then my phone), yet when we did some test for fun, my iPhone 4 beat his. We both opened up web browser, and went to an image intensive website.

Why did I win? Who knows? He had a better processor. Maybe the safari app is better written and so works faster/better(aka more optimized). Maybe my wifi chip was better so I was getting a better wireless signal?

Also, people can't expect amazing new features to come out every single year. The original iPhone was amazing because it disrupted the cell phone market. It changed the way everything was done.

Its like cars. BMW sells a new generation of cars ~every 5 years. People can't expect an entirely new iPhone(or Android or Windows) device each and every year. Like cars, they get yearly bumps/new things, but the biggest, and most radical changes, are done in large gaps as the technology gets there.
I have apple hater friends that i've done this with and my iPhone 4 always seems to win out.

It's hard for people to appreciate the iOS6 right now too. When the 4 came out i didn't expect much of a difference with the functionality of the phone, but when i switched from a 3g to a 4, the speed increase was huge. Everything responded at least 2x faster if not more. So i'm not passing judgement until i get my hands on the device with iOS6. But i'm sure it won't disappoint.
      09-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #33
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOO View Post
The new iPhone is fugly. It looks exactly the same except taller. Why not wider also? Same endless row of apps.
I think it looks classy- very sleek and minimalist.

Why not wider?
1) Form factor. Convenient for women's tiny purses, slips into pockets easily, fits existing armbands and many other accessories
2) Efficient coding. Still 640 pixels wide, making it easily backwards-compatible with old apps with no programming challenges. The standardization is one of the things that makes Apple devices so efficient. I'm not sure what they're going to do to make future apps compatible with the short screen though.
3) Speculation: perhaps there'll be a jumbo iphone/ipad mini to fill the gap.

Quote:

Should the icons move around? Their big user interface change was optional voice control, which'll take a big step forward for iOS 6. This is a sensible direction for a touchscreen phone.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #34
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
I think it looks classy- very sleek and minimalist.

Why not wider?
1) Form factor. Convenient for women's tiny purses, slips into pockets easily, fits existing armbands and many other accessories
2) Efficient coding. Still 640 pixels wide, making it easily backwards-compatible with old apps with no programming challenges. The standardization is one of the things that makes Apple devices so efficient. I'm not sure what they're going to do to make future apps compatible with the short screen though.

Should the icons move around? Their big user interface change was optional voice control, which'll take a big step forward for iOS 6. This is a sensible direction for a touchscreen phone.
I've heard that the new apps on old iphones will be centered vertically. Not sure how that will work but i'm sure they thought of this issue and solved it.

I really like the standardization of the phone. Every time i upgrade i don't have to learn a whole new UI.

I'm willing to bet that their voice control is going to change the market in the same way their touch screen change everything. The upgrade will almost always seem understated until you use the device.
      09-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #35
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

Quote:
With a 30 year contract....
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #36
48Laws
Banned
Rep

Quote:
oh fuck, guess im not upgrading yet
Are those Canadian prices or unlocked/non-contract phones? lol
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #37
passing
hey
Tanzania
Rep
Drives: caprice wagon

i still rock a 3GS.

ill be buying the 5..... to turn a nice profit on.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #38
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
+1

The main drawbacks IMO were that the screen was too small to benefit from such great tech, and no LTE... Those were the two absolute problems with it....

And they've both been rectified. I still would prefer 4.2"-4.3"ish for screen size, but 4" is a MASSIVE improvement over 3.5". And LTE.... I don't think I need to explain that to anyone.

On top of those two things, the hardware has received notable upgrades across the board.... So what else is left really? Is this thing supposed to cook you dinner and give you a reach around while poking you in the butt?

I'm curious to see what happens to battery life though. Bigger screen plus LTE equals uh-oh. At least, that's what Apple fanbois have been preaching for years now. Now that the shoe might be on the other foot, it'll be funny to watch the arguments shift.
BAM... that is exactly whats on my mind. The only upgrade that I wanted was a better battery life and camera. I feel I didn't get either...

I don't need a bigger phone and I know LTE will be problems all around with the battery.
      09-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #39
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensta335 View Post
Jailbreak, winterboard.
You are ruining the point of the phone by doing that and inherently slowing the system... If you want customization, you should look towards Android. Apple goes through a great deal to make sure that their system is optimized from the factory and that's what I and tons of others like about it.
      09-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #40
48Laws
Banned
Rep

Jailbreak actually enhances the phone's capabilities 10 fold. What are you talking about? The customization is endless with JB.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #41
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Whats an Iphone 5 going to go for on ebay once it's released. Tempted to use my upgrade for it just for the cash.
      09-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #42
passing
hey
Tanzania
Rep
Drives: caprice wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Whats an Iphone 5 going to go for on ebay once it's released. Tempted to use my upgrade for it just for the cash.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #43
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws
Jailbreak actually enhances the phone's capabilities 10 fold. What are you talking about? The customization is endless with JB.
did u read my post?
      09-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #44
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by passing View Post
Its not the iPhone thats important, whats important is that its unlocked and jailbroken because people are too lazy to do it themselves.

Once a jailbreak/hack comes out for iOS6, I would estimate ~600 or more for an unlocked iPhone5(price depends on storage capacity mostly xD)