BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

08-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #287
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-Mike View Post
LOl, that's too funny! When was this meeting, during the second day?

I was definitely faster after my ride with you, so your "tricks" do work.. guessing they are not the safest lines and that's why the trouble for Jay? Sorry Jay... didn't mean to get you in trouble.
No trouble - I did correct them and note that I showed you the proper line. Duncan took the heat (as he should have, he sometimes forgets how to drive with a student in the car. While often entertaining, not really teaching) Green sticker on your car lets you get away with a bit more. 4 tires on turtles is viewed as an off sometimes by the marshalls. The concern was you didn't appear to be in complete control.

The tire that exploded on track is a reminder that sh*t can happen even if you dont go off. (the car involved and driver will remain nameless at his request), but for those who were there saw the carnage of what can happen, fortunately nothing serious and no one was hurt. No sense in putting additional stress on tires and suspension for a fun lapping day. Nobody wins a prize and even a second or two quicker doesn't make it any less fun!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #288
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

We can repeat all this at Mosport on August 27-28 once again with Phoenix CMR running the days.2 days with instruction(If needed) for only $495.
Info here.

http://www.dixiefordspeedshop.com/re...endezvous.html
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #289
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
No trouble - I did correct them and note that I showed you the proper line. Duncan took the heat (as he should have, he sometimes forgets how to drive with a student in the car. While often entertaining, not really teaching) Green sticker on your car lets you get away with a bit more. 4 tires on turtles is viewed as an off sometimes by the marshalls. The concern was you didn't appear to be in complete control.

!
Special students get my special treatment
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #290
ZWEAPON
Captain
Rep
Drives: 540 RWHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Special students get my special treatment
Is that with or without the Duncan lube
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #291
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZWEAPON View Post
Is that with or without the Duncan lube
And how many laps did students ride in your car between your mechanical issues?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #292
ZWEAPON
Captain
Rep
Drives: 540 RWHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
And how many laps did students ride in your car between your mechanical issues?
None
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #293
M3-Mike
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
The concern was you didn't appear to be in complete control.
Hmm, interesting as I felt in control all day, not once did traction control even intervene. Was it one of the marshals who noticed me or was it someone in another vehicle who felt I was not in control? Just curious how I became a topic?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #294
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-Mike View Post
Hmm, interesting as I felt in control all day, not once did traction control even intervene. Was it one of the marshals who noticed me or was it someone in another vehicle who felt I was not in control? Just curious how I became a topic?
Marshalls called it in.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #295
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

The GTR that had the tire incident was running different tires front and back and the one that blew to smithereens... was over 7 years old.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #296
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
The GTR that had the tire incident was running different tires front and back and the one that blew to smithereens... was over 7 years old.
Really?He should have known better to run such old tires on such a fast car at a very fast track.A very good reminder for us all.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #297
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
Interesting - he told me that they were new with only 2 days on them and the tires on the front had about 6 days on them. He originally though maybe the front tire blew.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #298
kazin
Private
Rep
Drives: a

Hey guys, thought this would be an appropriate thread to pose my question:

I'm looking to attend a track day for the first time, and while I do see track days posted often, I'd really like to have some semblance of instruction as I don't think driving around clueless would be good for me or other participants.

Does anybody have any recommendations for upcoming track days with instruction? Also is there a prep list somewhere I should be taking a look at?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #299
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazin View Post

I'm looking to attend a track day for the first time, and while I do see track days posted often, I'd really like to have some semblance of instruction as I don't think driving around clueless would be good for me or other participants.

Does anybody have any recommendations for upcoming track days with instruction? Also is there a prep list somewhere I should be taking a look at?

Where are you located?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #300
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

A video from WGI - I captured a bit of Tony, Joel and I think Gearhead.

I know I could carry more speed through bus stop, brake later into the boot and toe, and brake less for turns 9 and 10. Let me know if you spot anything else.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #301
VP M3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Looking for something new

Tracking Agian Looking For Suggestions

Guys I am looking into getting back into lapping days and track time. I have plenty of past experience but have been off-track (and with a new car) for several years.

Looking for setup suggestions re: track wheels/ tires for my E92 and possible brake upgrades, etc. (wondering about fade on stock pads / lines). Ran my previous E90 on stock rubber at Calabogie 2 years back and beat up the tires pretty bad without any brake fade issues, but it was my first time there and with a new car I was very cautious

Thanks guys

BTW, really appreciate the knowledge base present within this local M3 crew!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #302
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxL View Post
A video from WGI - I captured a bit of Tony, Joel and I think Gearhead.

I know I could carry more speed through bus stop, brake later into the boot and toe, and brake less for turns 9 and 10. Let me know if you spot anything else.
Pretty much as you say Max,just need to more aggressive in the areas you mention.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 11:49 PM   #303
kazin
Private
Rep
Drives: a

Quote:
Where are you located?
Toronto
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #304
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Interesting - he told me that they were new with only 2 days on them and the tires on the front had about 6 days on them. He originally though maybe the front tire blew.
Probably right, but the tires can get very old just staying on a shelf...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 12:03 AM   #305
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep

Quote:

BMW Trillium Club has an event Sept 7-8-9... at Mosport. with proper DE instruction.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #306
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:

August 27-28 once again with Phoenix CMR running the days.2 days with instruction(If needed) for only $495.
Info here.

http://www.dixiefordspeedshop.com/re...endezvous.html

A few of us from here will be going and some of us will be instructing including Jaypod,Z Weapon,ALM3 & myself.These are very well organized & well run days which are great to be involved with.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #307
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP M3 View Post
Guys I am looking into getting back into lapping days and track time. I have plenty of past experience but have been off-track (and with a new car) for several years.

Looking for setup suggestions re: track wheels/ tires for my E92 and possible brake upgrades, etc. (wondering about fade on stock pads / lines). Ran my previous E90 on stock rubber at Calabogie 2 years back and beat up the tires pretty bad without any brake fade issues, but it was my first time there and with a new car I was very cautious

Thanks guys

I ran 3 years on my stock brakes on my other with no great dramas.Invest in the proper track pads like Pagid RS29's or PFC 01's,hi temp fluid and you will be good to go.
For track wheels & tires I recommend a square setup with 18x10's with a 275/35 18.Apex makes a great wheel at 25P which is a great fit for the car and will work with a BBK if you go that way down the road.
I run a Nitto NT05's which are great in the dry but not very good in the wet so I use my street tires as my wet set up.The NT05's are very durable and I usually get 12-16 days out of a set.There are there other choices but these work well for me in a very cost effective manner.

These have 10 days on them.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #308
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP M3 View Post

Thanks guys

In terms of brake upgrades, I highly recommend getting a set of Pagid RS29 (or RS19) pads and use some good fluid such as Motul RBF600 or Castrol SRF. I was surprised how resilient this setup was, and for casual tracking, this is probably more than enough. Jumping straight into a BBK is not necessary, and you'll be surprised how good the stock callipers/rotors are with new pads/fluid.

As for track wheel setups, it really depends. I started with a staggered setup (265 and 285) because I wanted an understeer bias, but quickly moved to a square (275) setup. The square setup provides loads of grip, but allows you to rotate the car with throttle more easily. As for tires, I used NT05 on the track, it's a cheap reliable tire, and a lot of the guys here use the NT05 with good results. I've also run Michelin PSS for a few track days, and i'm really impressed with them. Their wet traction is ridiculously good, and in the dry, I personally prefer them over the NT05. That being said, the PSS are a fair bit more expensive.

Last edited by sawzall; 08-04-2012 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0