BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-11-2007, 01:26 AM   #23
Max_!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91

hey, don't get me wrong, I like dogs!

I just want to tell you that there are risks involved and a dog won't stop a determined criminal.

Dogs can be taken out quite easily by burglars. A few years ago there was a story about a thug that shot pieces of meat laced with an anti-colagulant (rat poison) into people's garden with a catapult used for fish bait. The meat smelled and tasted fine so the dogs went for it. It took a couple of days for the dogs to die, but die they did. And then the distraught owners were robbed.

The family dog of my wife (then my girfriend) died of a tumor in it's brain that made it so aggressive that it needed to be put down. The sweetest, most tolerant dog can turn on your family and friends because of something like that.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 01:45 AM   #24
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
we dont hate dogs. we're not allowed them inside houses tho. Dogs arent clean animals. and you are allowed to have them for only 2 purposes: guarding/watching or hunting.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 09:09 AM   #25
tjtanker
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e90 ZSP

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
when i was in iraq i had a very strong sense that the iraqis trained wild dogs to attack our humvees/tanks when we drove through their neighborhoods. they were so crazy that theyd run up to the trucks and try to bite the tires while we were still driving. i think they used them as a 'heads up' to when we were coming through. I cant say anything about all muslims but the muslim iraqis i came into contact with seemed to like the fact that the dogs out there seemed to be on their side rather than ours.
and thats my .02
      09-11-2007, 09:13 AM   #26
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjtanker View Post
when i was in iraq i had a very strong sense that the iraqis trained wild dogs to attack our humvees/tanks when we drove through their neighborhoods. they were so crazy that theyd run up to the trucks and try to bite the tires while we were still driving. i think they used them as a 'heads up' to when we were coming through. I cant say anything about all muslims but the muslim iraqis i came into contact with seemed to like the fact that the dogs out there seemed to be on their side rather than ours.
and thats my .02
how are these dogs different than anyone else training a dog for "some" purpose? if a dog has an owner, he will obey them... every dog i know barks/gets aggressive at strangers
      09-11-2007, 09:36 AM   #27
561design
z4um Hooligan
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_! View Post
Dogs can be taken out quite easily by burglars. A few years ago there was a story about a thug that shot pieces of meat laced with an anti-colagulant (rat poison) into people's garden with a catapult used for fish bait. The meat smelled and tasted fine so the dogs went for it. It took a couple of days for the dogs to die, but die they did. And then the distraught owners were robbed.
I suppose your right. That's if they're determined to get into your house. However, when they're searching for a house to break into. They'll go for the one with the least amount of risk and the highest amount of payoff. If I have three dogs, house alarm and potentially a gun (cause I'm redneck like that). An my neighbor just has a house alarm. They'll most likely choose the neighbors instead.

Due to the fact that the police will arrive in a few minutes after the alarm is triggered. They wouldn't want to waste their time trying to get around three dogs with the police on the way.
      09-11-2007, 12:13 PM   #28
Max_!
First Lieutenant
Rep

> That's if they're determined to get into your house.

He was doing neighborhoods in a single night, not single houses, taking out dogs at interesting places a few days before. (Probably when he was scoping the area)

> They'll go for the one with the least amount of risk and the highest amount of payoff

If you have three dogs, an alarm and a gun, the payoff is assumed to be high. The odd junkie won't bother, they like stickups and open back doors but, say, car gangs stealing on order won't be bothered too much by any of those if it's your car they need.

> Due to the fact that the police will arrive in a few minutes after the alarm is triggered.

You'd be surprised what a thief can grab in 15 minutes.

But you could just have someone ring your doorbell, telling you a story about a lost football in your yard, cleaning you out while they're 'helping' you look for it.

Anyways, there are about 2 million burglaries per year in the us, which compares to 5 million dog bites per year, 6 million car accidents and an estimated 2 million accidents with guns per year.

There are too many variables there to figure your odds, but on the whole a US citizen is more likely to be shot and bitten while in a car accident than burgled.

> (cause I'm redneck like that)

Yeah, funny thing that in an ironic sort of way. I'm told you're allowed to carry weapons to enable you to overthrow a tyrannical government... But from where I'm sitting, it appears that the people that actually exert the right to bear arms are the ones supporting your current government.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 12:14 PM   #29
Max_!
First Lieutenant
Rep

So.. how can you be a redneck and dislike NASCAR?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 12:32 PM   #30
561design
z4um Hooligan
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
> That's if they're determined to get into your house.

He was doing neighborhoods in a single night, not single houses, taking out dogs at interesting places a few days before. (Probably when he was scoping the area)

> They'll go for the one with the least amount of risk and the highest amount of payoff

If you have three dogs, an alarm and a gun, the payoff is assumed to be high. The odd junkie won't bother, they like stickups and open back doors but, say, car gangs stealing on order won't be bothered too much by any of those if it's your car they need.

> Due to the fact that the police will arrive in a few minutes after the alarm is triggered.

You'd be surprised what a thief can grab in 15 minutes.

But you could just have someone ring your doorbell, telling you a story about a lost football in your yard, cleaning you out while they're 'helping' you look for it.

Anyways, there are about 2 million burglaries per year in the us, which compares to 5 million dog bites per year, 6 million car accidents and an estimated 2 million accidents with guns per year.

There are too many variables there to figure your odds, but on the whole a US citizen is more likely to be shot and bitten while in a car accident than burgled.

Yeah, funny thing that in an ironic sort of way. I'm told you're allowed to carry weapons to enable you to overthrow a tyrannical government... But from where I'm sitting, it appears that the people that actually exert the right to bear arms are the ones supporting your current government.

Police HQ is right around the corner from my house. Literally. Plus it's a small "town" an the cops have not much to do than drive the neighborhoods. I'm always suspicious of strangers so for the most part I doubt I'll fall for the football in the yard trick. If it is a highly intense moment where I need to respond to someone... Say bleeding in my drive way a dog will come out just to alert me and the gun as well.
      09-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #31
561design
z4um Hooligan
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:

So.. how can you be a redneck and dislike NASCAR?
I dislike NASCAR because of what it is. I don't consider it racing. It's more like a rolling bilboard of ads to which you pay to see... An sit in the hot sun... On aluminum bleachers... With a fat guy drinking Budweiser next to you sweating his ass off... Oh the fun to watch cars drive around really fast in a circle.

I choose to own a weapon because I've had the wonderful oppurtunity to really sit and have to think if I would be willing to take someone's life if it came down to it. I don't believe people should own guns if they're absolutely sure they'll use it when needed. Everything you use to protect yourself can potentially used againist you. I own my weapon because it's a personal choice based on past experiences in my life. I do not buy into the other political aspirations that come along with the being an owner of a gun. I am not a supporter of Bush or Cheney (who's actually the one running the show.)
      09-11-2007, 12:59 PM   #32
Max_!
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, but still, you can't be a redneck if you don't like NASCAR, can you?

> I've had the wonderful oppurtunity to really sit and have to think if I would be willing to take someone's life if it came down to it.

Meh, killing someone for the first time using a gun is easy if you don't get too close and you pull the trigger before they start begging for their lives and your resolve drops together with your adrenaline level.

The second time is harder because you remember all of the hassle of the first time.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #33
f30er
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85

Garage List
humans have the most infectious bite because the different organisms in our mouths that are considered normal flora, can make you really sick if they enter your blood....

dogs have their own bacteria in their mouths but its not as infectious....

and don't get me started on cats, the number of things you could get from cats are just crazy....thats why it's recommended that pregnant women and HIV/AIDS patients stay away from cats and litter boxes....
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 06:59 PM   #34
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjtanker View Post
and thats my .02

i was telling snohman yesterday that in my country they stone dogs and kick them if they see them coz they're most likely carry tons of infections and they're astray.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #35
berm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post

i was telling snohman yesterday that in my country they stone dogs and kick them if they see them coz they're most likely carry tons of infections and they're astray.
Is your name Borat? Are you from Kazakhstan??
      09-12-2007, 01:52 PM   #36
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

its because dogs smell buts and roll in there own mess
Appreciate 0