BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-29-2008, 02:53 AM   #67
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
Nope. SUV drivers. Minivans included.

As I overtake, they inexplicably decide to change lanes from the slow lane to the fast lane. It appears to be random. In fact, I call it the random lane change.

They don't look.
They aren't passing anyone.
Random.

Then there is the tour bus. Oh, yes, the tour bus. It doesn't matter what speed they are traveling at. They just plant that big ass boat in the left lane and stay there. No amount of light flashing or horn honking will generate a response. They are rolling road blocks. They don't speed up. They don't slow down. If you pass them, and then slow down to annoy them, they will run into you. The drivers are unconscious.

Try it sometime. Get in front of one of these road hogs and then slow to about 1mph slower than they are going. See how close that behemoth gets before you lose your nerve and speed up. You won't even be able to see its windshield through your mirror; just a big wall of fiberglas.
hahaha it's funny because it's true.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 07:24 AM   #68
Wads
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 & Tuned Focus ST

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Dude, not knocking anyone, but when I had a cheap car that was "quick" I didn't go around saying it would beat out a 911 S, M3 or corvette........
I suggest you re-read what I actually said and then explain to everyone where I suggested that my ST was quicker than an M3. I said that the ST (in modified form) is a quick car and also that I didn’t expect my new E93 M3 to be as quick in gear (which I honestly don’t and will measure as and when the new car is fully run-in using the timing gear I’ve used on a wide range of fast cars….. the same $600 kit used by many top car magazines so not a simple stopwatch).

I totally understand your scepticism of my comments as for one you don’t know me nor have any reason to trust anything I say….. but all I can say is that as a 40 year old car geek I have no reason to troll or make up rubbish on a car forum. As far as the ST goes I purchased it as a “make do” car not really expecting to be impressed with its (straight line) performance, coming from a Boxster S and S2000 before that my expectations were not high at all….. the ST was a quickish car to carry the wife and new baby around while waiting for the M3 vert to be delivered.

The only time I ridiculed somebody on a car forum was strangely close to your implied comment….. basically a guy on the Focus ST forum said that his modified ST kept pace with an Audi RS4 cabrio….. “dream on” said I not realising how quick a simple ECU remap can make the car. Before ordering the E93 M3 I tested plenty of decent cars and measured their performance, most of them would totally destroy the ST from a stop light but in gear between 30-70mph I am amazed at the bang for the buck offered by the humble Ford…… the following 30-70mph times were from the testing I did:

M5 3.5sec
M3 Coupe 3.9sec
Jag XKR 3.9sec
997 Carrera S manual 4.0sec
Audi R8 4.2sec (I didn’t have the test gear with me but this is the time recorded by Autocar mag)
Aston DB9 Volante 4.2sec
Audi RS5 4.3sec
Focus ST 4.3sec
Cayman S 4.4sec
997 Carrera S Tiptronic 4.5sec
Boxster S (987 3.2) 4.8sec
Audi RS4 Cab 4.9sec
S2000 5.6sec
Golf R32 DSG 5.8sec
Alfa Brera V6 7.2sec

Sorry to everyone for taking this slightly off topic but I felt the need to respond to an unwarranted attack.

Testing soon: Lambo LP670 SV and Ferrari 430 Scuderia
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 07:42 AM   #69
ZoinksM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunnerable View Post
Don't knock other peoples cars. More than once in my life I had total POS cars and it's all I could afford. Consider yourselves lucky you can drive such nice cars like BMWs and never knock someone else who can't afford them. That's the pinnacle of ignorance.
It is the driver plus the type of car. When I got my first vehicle, a '83Datsun\Nissan Stanza, I didn't roll up to a Grand National and look to drag.

Everyone has their own situation; money, style choices, etc. There are certian cars that attact certian drivers who have inflated expectations of what their cars can do. We call these people asshats.
      08-29-2008, 07:58 AM   #70
Stunnerable
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan Rogue, 09 Jet Black M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoinksM3 View Post
It is the driver plus the type of car. When I got my first vehicle, a '83Datsun\Nissan Stanza, I didn't roll up to a Grand National and look to drag.

Everyone has their own situation; money, style choices, etc. There are certian cars that attact certian drivers who have inflated expectations of what their cars can do. We call these people asshats.
You know what funny about this.. when I lived in Plano, TX back in 99 I was going to school at SMU and on the ride home in my 95 Nissan 4 banger truck I raced a Viper. It wasn't because I was trying to act cool or I thought I would beat him.. I just wanted him to show off so I could see and hear it take off. Now I know how horrid the Viper V10 sounds.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 04:41 PM   #71
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Toyota Camry + Prius + Corolla; Honda Civic + Civic Hybrid

Uuuhhggghh!! I'm so glad you started this thread. I've been wanting to vent about this for ages!

I absolutely HATE driving behind Camrys, Prius' Corollas and Civics (especially the hybrid variety). There's just something about drivers who select these cars -- or, more accurately, the way some drivers DRIVE these cars. The Civic driver (at least in my neck of the woods) ALWAYS drives slow in the fast lane. Especially the latest generation Civic (pictured below). They'll "dam-up" traffic for miles behind them without the slightest glance into their rear view mirror -- with miles and miles of open highway in front of them. Why not move into one of the right lanes?! Frustrating.

The Prius driver (current generation car pictured below) is a little more challenging to characterize. They're either really slow or really fast with no in-between. I always make the assumption that the slower driver is paying more attention to their energy use than actual driving -- which wouldn't be such a bad thing if they weren't CLOGGING the fast lane. There's nothing funnier than a smug Prius driver in the carpool lane gumming up the flow of traffic so they can keep their MPG meter at 50MPG, while regular (non-carpool) traffic is passing them by. Then there's the hyper Prius driver that floors the thing, weaving in and out of traffic. There are lots of both varieties here in the San Francisco Bay Area.

In some cases it's the car itself. For example, I especially hate the 1997 - 2000 Camry (pictured below). When I'm driving behind one of these, the driver will invariably tap on the brakes at the slightest hint of "traffic change" in front of them. In any other car, this simple tap would illuminate the brake lights and gradually slow the car. However, in this generation Camry, the braking action causes the nose of the car to dive, and the rear to raise up high in the air. I never EVER get used to this. I always think they're in a panic stop, so I panic myself. I've slowly come to realize that it's just the behavior of this particular car, so I steer clear of them whenever I can.

I think part of the problem here is that these cars are simply "appliances". They're very easy to drive and are relatively inexpensive (which is why they're all over the place and, in some cases, a menace to society).
Attached Images

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 06:33 PM   #72
MRBLUE
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 SEDAN SG DCT FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunnerable View Post
Don't knock other peoples cars. More than once in my life I had total POS cars and it's all I could afford. Consider yourselves lucky you can drive such nice cars like BMWs and never knock someone else who can't afford them. That's the pinnacle of ignorance.
why does someone always try to make this forum P.C.The car the person driving whatever,you annoy me. I think is the basic topic? Stunnerable you may have drivin a POS but I hope you did not drive like TOOL.If you where in a mustang and race me to every stop light then I Im afraid you where A ....
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #73
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

VW owners are the worst especiall the GTI's and the old Jetta's w/ the blacked out bummper from the exhaust

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 11:30 PM   #74
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Expeditions and Suburbans are apparently driven by people who assume the big engine means they're in a fast car. Inevitably on a certain stretch of road that I do 60 they gun it to keep up, then when they hit the big back-to-back 90 degree curves they slow to 25 while I stay at 60.

Enjoy inertia, ladies.

Those curves stop most of the pretenders, although a Oldsmobile Alero tried to keep up the other day and almost went off the road. Classic stuff.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 03:14 AM   #75
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Add Scion tc to the list.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 04:08 AM   #76
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBry View Post

In some cases it's the car itself. For example, I especially hate the 1997 - 2000 Camry (pictured below). When I'm driving behind one of these, the driver will invariably tap on the brakes at the slightest hint of "traffic change" in front of them. In any other car, this simple tap would illuminate the brake lights and gradually slow the car. However, in this generation Camry, the braking action causes the nose of the car to dive, and the rear to raise up high in the air. I never EVER get used to this. I always think they're in a panic stop, so I panic myself. I've slowly come to realize that it's just the behavior of this particular car, so I steer clear of them whenever I can.

I LOL'd at this one. I totally know what you mean!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 02:42 PM   #77
1ne
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3 JZB 6MT

Neon... so many sup'd up neon always want to race me at the red light. It was fun at first to kick their ass but now it gets old. No matter how much they rev the engine, I can't be bother with them anymore. I look over just smile.
      08-30-2008, 04:48 PM   #78
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

am i the only one that is repetitively annoyed by mr. G35 or G37 driver? here in dallas, these guys are always the ones that want to mess with you on the streets. they'll start trying to pull on you, subsequently get in front of you, then slow down so you'll just have to pass them again, then repeat steps 1 through 3 to infinity (no pun intended) until one of you has to turn. they're like gnats...black paint, chromed wheels, dark tinted windows...buzzing around just to annoy you and they're everywhere!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 06:52 PM   #79
ZoinksM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepilot View Post
am i the only one that is repetitively annoyed by mr. G35 or G37 driver? here in dallas, these guys are always the ones that want to mess with you on the streets. they'll start trying to pull on you, subsequently get in front of you, then slow down so you'll just have to pass them again, then repeat steps 1 through 3 to infinity (no pun intended) until one of you has to turn. they're like gnats...black paint, chromed wheels, dark tinted windows...buzzing around just to annoy you and they're everywhere!
I'll join in with you here. These drivers are also the ones that go WOT in parking garages so everyone can share with the exhaust note.

One more gripe. I want to kill all SUV's that go over speed bumps at .5 miles per hour. It isn't like they are going to bottom out.
      08-30-2008, 10:51 PM   #80
synclastica_86
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F32 435i, E92 M3, S550

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wads View Post
….. the same $600 kit used by many top car magazines so not a simple stopwatch).
Dude I like your performance box, I want one too. But should I go for the drift box? Is it worth the extra money?

Current: BMW F32 435iA M-Sports; BMW E92 M3, M-DCT; Mercedes W221 S550 4matic; Ford Fiesta ST; Nissan Silvia S15 Spec-R
Retired: BMW E93 323iA; BMW E85 Z4 3.0i, SMG; Lexus IS 250 AWD; Lexus GX 470; Mercedes W203 C230 Sportscoupe; Peugeot 206 S16; Peugeot 206 RC
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 12:14 AM   #81
Tosh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW3R View Post
+1

I have not had anyone challenge me since having the M3. I kinda think that people don't know about the car?

Same story around here, most people don't react. I prefer it that way. Although Mustangs around here try to race anything...
      08-31-2008, 12:53 AM   #82
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ne View Post
Neon... so many sup'd up neon always want to race me at the red light. It was fun at first to kick their ass but now it gets old. No matter how much they rev the engine, I can't be bother with them anymore. I look over just smile.
Neon SRT-4 are worse.

Its a freaking NEON...
      08-31-2008, 01:04 AM   #83
synclastica_86
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F32 435i, E92 M3, S550

Garage List
To sum things up, the most annoying cars, or to be precise, the cars that attract the most annoying drivers are entry level models that claim to be sporty.

Current: BMW F32 435iA M-Sports; BMW E92 M3, M-DCT; Mercedes W221 S550 4matic; Ford Fiesta ST; Nissan Silvia S15 Spec-R
Retired: BMW E93 323iA; BMW E85 Z4 3.0i, SMG; Lexus IS 250 AWD; Lexus GX 470; Mercedes W203 C230 Sportscoupe; Peugeot 206 S16; Peugeot 206 RC
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 02:26 AM   #84
MrClean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 428i

Quote:
If you pass them, and then slow down to annoy them, they will run into you. The drivers are unconscious.

Try it sometime. Get in front of one of these road hogs and then slow to about 1mph slower than they are going. See how close that behemoth gets before you lose your nerve and speed up. You won't even be able to see its windshield through your mirror; just a big wall of fiberglas.
Why the hell would you do that? You're as bad as the a-holes you're complaining about, and begging for an accident. A very bad one...
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 04:30 AM   #85
Wads
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 & Tuned Focus ST

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by synclastica_86 View Post
Dude I like your performance box, I want one too. But should I go for the drift box? Is it worth the extra money?
I guess that depends if you want to measure drift angles? The drift Box is exactly the same as the perf box apart from being more expensive but the only extra measurement (as far as I remember) you get is the drift angle.

The Perf Box measures everything that I'm interested in,

lat and long G
G-Circle
0-60
0-100
Any other speed delta eg 0-62, 5-60, 30-70, 0-124
1/4 mile
Wheel BHP estimate
Braking time and distance from any speed
GPS position (inc height)
Lap times and splits

You can also export data to Google Earth eg. I tested the 997 Carrera S at Millbrook:

Testing soon: Lambo LP670 SV and Ferrari 430 Scuderia

Last edited by Wads; 08-31-2008 at 06:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 04:40 AM   #86
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
Although Mustangs around here try to race anything...
you must live near me...those are the #2 worst offenders around here.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 08:39 AM   #87
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Quote:
Nope. SUV drivers. Minivans included.

As I overtake, they inexplicably decide to change lanes from the slow lane to the fast lane. It appears to be random. In fact, I call it the random lane change.

They don't look.
They aren't passing anyone.
Random.

Then there is the tour bus. Oh, yes, the tour bus. It doesn't matter what speed they are traveling at. They just plant that big ass boat in the left lane and stay there. No amount of light flashing or horn honking will generate a response. They are rolling road blocks. They don't speed up. They don't slow down. If you pass them, and then slow down to annoy them, they will run into you. The drivers are unconscious.

Just curious,you're in such a hurry,need to pass a tour bus so bad then you get in front of them and what do you do? slow down to annoy them.

I think it's silly to put yourself in a position where a 20 ton vehicle with poor stopping distance is breathing down your neck.
Appreciate 0