BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

11-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #23
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

I feel sorry for this family's tragic loss, but whether it's twisting a traditional key or pushing a button, the act of turning off a car still requires action on the driver's part. How is this anyone other than the driver's fault?
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #24
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Tragic...but that's why you need a droning exhaust???
"Damn the car is loud...turn that shit off!!!"
      11-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #25
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangloss View Post
I'd sue too. We see posts here all the time from people who walk outside one morning to find all their windows rolled down because their keys bumped up against something in the house overnight. This is the same thing. Remote start systems clearly have to have auto-off after 10-15 minutes. I'm amazed to hear that there's a remote start system out there that doesn't include this feature. Its manufacturer needs to be sued.
Then you're part of the problem too.
      11-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #26
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
I'd sue too. We see posts here all the time from people who walk outside one morning to find all their windows rolled down because their keys bumped up against something in the house overnight. This is the same thing. Remote start systems clearly have to have auto-off after 10-15 minutes. I'm amazed to hear that there's a remote start system out there that doesn't include this feature. Its manufacturer needs to be sued.
It wasn't remote start ya dunce, it was keyless ignition. She literally pulled into the garage, didn't shut her car off, went inside. What the hell do you expect?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 06:02 PM   #27
M1Fan
Rep
Drives: 2009 E60 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
...Darwin applies here.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #28
Pangloss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
I feel sorry for this family's tragic loss, but whether it's twisting a traditional key or pushing a button, the act of turning off a car still requires action on the driver's part. How is this anyone other than the driver's fault?
No it doesn't. I've seen a number of posts from BMW owners who accidentally powered-down their windows overnight without realizing it, only to find their cars full of water the next morning.

Stuff happens. It's common sense to stop "stuff" from killing people if there's an easy way to do that. There's an easy way to do that here, and most manufacturers implement it (auto-off after 15 min, etc). If this manufacturer can't be bothered to do that, then the only recourse to change their minds is a public lawsuit.
      11-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #29
san~man
Tired
Rep

Which manufacturer has an "auto off after 15 mins" function built into their cars? None that I know of.

If that was the case, if you're sitting in your car parked, intentionally idling, your car would shut off. Or, if you had a remote start system, and you started the car to warm/cool down the inside, it would turn off. That's more stupid that someone forgetting to turn off their car.

Then, some other asshole would sue the manufacturer, saying I can't run my car idling for longer than 15 minutes without it shutting off.

People like you and them should take the bus, but you'd still find something to sue the bus company over
      11-22-2011, 08:49 PM   #30
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
Which manufacturer has an "auto off after 15 mins" function built into their cars? None that I know of.

If that was the case, if you're sitting in your car parked, intentionally idling, your car would shut off. Or, if you had a remote start system, and you started the car to warm/cool down the inside, it would turn off. That's more stupid that someone forgetting to turn off their car.

Then, some other asshole would sue the manufacturer, saying I can't run my car idling for longer than 15 minutes without it shutting off.

People like you and them should take the bus, but you'd still find something to sue the bus company over

Exactly, say a car had that 15min-auto-off feature, a car stranded in traffic for whatever reason for 15 minutes or more, then when traffic starts to go, he/she doesn't realize the engine is off, goes to accelerate, doesn't move and then gets rear-ended by the car behind them.

Or, people who own the damn car could learn how to turn the thing off! I like this idea better than the 15min-auto-off feature.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #31
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No it doesn't. I've seen a number of posts from BMW owners who accidentally powered-down their windows overnight without realizing it, only to find their cars full of water the next morning.

Stuff happens. It's common sense to stop "stuff" from killing people if there's an easy way to do that. There's an easy way to do that here, and most manufacturers implement it (auto-off after 15 min, etc). If this manufacturer can't be bothered to do that, then the only recourse to change their minds is a public lawsuit.
Please post links to a number of posts of BMW owners who have accidentally lowered their windows to find their cars full of water the next morning.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 10:27 PM   #32
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post

Aftermarket remote start systems do, typically, shut off after a period of time. 15 minutes should be enough time to heat/cool it other than very extreme temperatures. You can, of course, re-start it remotely then. You wouldn't want to forget about it and run out of gas.

However, remote starts are not the issue here. The non-issue is "keyless" ignition. This is no different, as other posters have mentioned, than leaving the keys in the ignition and walking away. The ridiculousness of this situation is sad. Will be a front runner for a 2011 Darwin Award.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 01:58 AM   #33
Pangloss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Please post links to a number of posts of BMW owners who have accidentally lowered their windows to find their cars full of water the next morning.
Sure, four independent examples (different owners) from the same thread from 1addicts earlier this year are linked below. I believe only one mentioned finding water in his car the next morning, but they all did the same thing with the remote.

If you want more, bimmerpost has a cross-site search function. Bit tricky to wade through the results, but they're there.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...44&postcount=1
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...90&postcount=3
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=16
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=17
      11-23-2011, 02:53 AM   #34
san~man
Tired
Rep

Those are all examples of user error, as is the topic of this thread
      12-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #35
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sure, four independent examples (different owners) from the same thread from 1addicts earlier this year are linked below. I believe only one mentioned finding water in his car the next morning, but they all did the same thing with the remote.

If you want more, bimmerpost has a cross-site search function. Bit tricky to wade through the results, but they're there.

I didn't see your reply until now. Indeed, this looks like it happens more often than I thought.

That said, the owner was still at fault for not turning off the car before she stepped out of it.

Sad tale, either way.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 09:12 PM   #36
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:

Just noticed that theyre all 1 series owners

....makes sense.