BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

12-01-2011, 12:23 AM   #111
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
Let's see how many 1M owners will keep their cars after their warranty runs out. We will then have a separate forum for HPFP issues alone. Should be interesting to see those 1M values then especially for folks who paid over MSRP.
I'll bet you that the depreciation will less than your M3 and the cost to maintain it after the warranty will be half of the M3.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 10:43 AM   #112
Blessed1
Rep
Drives: E92 M///,N55 DCT

Get the 1M and don't look back.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 04:20 PM   #113
VO695
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Great thread.

Here is my perspective if anyone is interested.

My daily driver is a 2012 750i with an M package. Love that car!

I was lucky enough to acquire a VO 1M loaded with every option about 3 weeks ago. This is my new weekend car. I have owned many cars including 5 Porsche's. The car that I traded for the 1M was an 09 911S with a PDK trans. The 911S is a pretty fast car, handles well but IMHO is not as much fun as the 1M to drive. Do I miss the 911? NO! I find that even though the 1M isn't as fast it has more usable power for driving on the street. You can dart in and out of traffic without dropping any gears. Love the torque, the handling and just the BMWness it has. There is something about BMW's that to me no other car manufacturer has been able to copy yet.

Now as far as the M3 is concerned, my son has a new one with the DCT auto and I have driven it several times. Fantastic car but I like the 1M better because of the torque and of course the 6 speed manual trans. After all I am just an old gear head from the 60's.

Just my two cents.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #114
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO695 View Post
Great thread.

Here is my perspective if anyone is interested.

My daily driver is a 2012 750i with an M package. Love that car!

I was lucky enough to acquire a VO 1M loaded with every option about 3 weeks ago. This is my new weekend car. I have owned many cars including 5 Porsche's. The car that I traded for the 1M was an 09 911S with a PDK trans. The 911S is a pretty fast car, handles well but IMHO is not as much fun as the 1M to drive. Do I miss the 911? NO! I find that even though the 1M isn't as fast it has more usable power for driving on the street. You can dart in and out of traffic without dropping any gears. Love the torque, the handling and just the BMWness it has. There is something about BMW's that to me no other car manufacturer has been able to copy yet.

Now as far as the M3 is concerned, my son has a new one with the DCT auto and I have driven it several times. Fantastic car but I like the 1M better because of the torque and of course the 6 speed manual trans. After all I am just an old gear head from the 60's.

Just my two cents.
At 28 years of age I couldn't agree with you more...so no, it's not a thing of the past Happy motoring!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #115
MEHP
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: Track: M3 E46, Daily: M135i

If the M3 is so perfectly sorted, why does every single one being tracked have additional coolers? But ok, those who write that might never get to drive their car on a proper track. Nordschleife should be a name for you.

The 1M is definitely as fast as a standard M3 on good ol' Green Hell. BUT: I would take the M3 for it's more lineal power delivery. The 1M kicks your ass instantly what makes it a more stressful ride at the limits. And stress is what you won't need on Nordschleife.

But again, the weight is a big thing in this comparison: standard brakes are OK in the 1M but you need to change cooling or some of the hardware for usage in the M3. Or you rip everything out of the car that belongs to the interior. In fact, the M3 can never reach the 1M when it comes to agility. That leads to the case that the M3 is easier to drive quick than the 1M is.

Why can't you just argue with some pros and cons and come to the end that both cars are amazing in their own way?

My 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #116
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEHP View Post
If the M3 is so perfectly sorted, why does every single one being tracked have additional coolers? But ok, those who write that might never get to drive their car on a proper track. Nordschleife should be a name for you.

The 1M is definitely as fast as a standard M3 on good ol' Green Hell. BUT: I would take the M3 for it's more lineal power delivery. The 1M kicks your ass instantly what makes it a more stressful ride at the limits. And stress is what you won't need on Nordschleife.

But again, the weight is a big thing in this comparison: standard brakes are OK in the 1M but you need to change cooling or some of the hardware for usage in the M3. Or you rip everything out of the car that belongs to the interior. In fact, the M3 can never reach the 1M when it comes to agility. That leads to the case that the M3 is easier to drive quick than the 1M is.

Why can't you just argue with some pros and cons and come to the end that both cars are amazing in their own way?

My 2 cents
Additional cooling???? As far as I know there's maybe 2 or 3 that have extra cooling and I'm one of them. Misleading statement to say the least.
      12-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #117
MEHP
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Usually the first mod at the Nürburgring. I don't know anyone there driving the M3 really fast who has no additional cooling. And they all installed it after having issues with temperatures.
Don't get me wrong, I love the M3 and I'd always take it for the track (and hopefully will next year).
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #118
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Additional cooling???? As far as I know there's maybe 2 or 3 that have extra cooling and I'm one of them. Misleading statement to say the least.
I think he has it flipped, if anything the 1m will need extra cooling as there are several reports of limp mode on the track and I have never heard of a m3 having overheating problem on the track or anywhere else.

I also do not comprehend a word of that post above so who knows what he is smokin
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #119
MEHP
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
I think he has it flipped, if anything the 1m will need extra cooling as there are several reports of limp mode on the track and I have never heard of a m3 having overheating problem on the track or anywhere else.

I also do not comprehend a word of that post above so who knows what he is smokin
Maybe it's just a problem on the 'Ring, I don't know. But I know many M3-drivers lapping Nordschleife under 8:20mins who had problems with the temperature.

If there are issues with the language, I'm sorry, then please tell me what exactly might be hard to understand and I'll try to do better.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 11:22 PM   #120
Ateam
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Maybe it's just a problem on the 'Ring, I don't know. But I know many M3-drivers lapping Nordschleife under 8:20mins who had problems with the temperature.

If there are issues with the language, I'm sorry, then please tell me what exactly might be hard to understand and I'll try to do better.
Not saying you are wrong as you would know much better than I would but atleast on these boards I cannot remember one story of anyone overheating, let alone calling this a common problem? But I do not know anything about the ring or much about racing/tracking in general.

1M looks like vomit. That is more than enough to steer me clear
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 06:58 AM   #121
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

Quote:
Not saying you are wrong as you would know much better than I would but atleast on these boards I cannot remember one story of anyone overheating, let alone calling this a common problem? But I do not know anything about the ring or much about racing/tracking in general.

lol. finally.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 08:17 AM   #122
MEHP
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Quote:

That's something I can live with. That's how I think about black cars because you can't see any details anymore and they just look boring. Taste is nothing to have an argument about.

I just did not understand why the argument some post before was about the 1M being a bad car and the M3 being perfect.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #123
Ateam
Banned
Rep

Quote:
That's something I can live with. That's how I think about black cars because you can't see any details anymore and they just look boring. Taste is nothing to have an argument about.

I just did not understand why the argument some post before was about the 1M being a bad car and the M3 being perfect.
Its probably faster than the m3 in every respect but to me if it looks like piss, and smells like piss, it is just piss. The 1m is piss
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #124
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Its probably faster than the m3 in every respect but to me if it looks like piss, and smells like piss, it is just piss. The 1m is piss
I just looked and smelled mine...looks amazing and smells new dang I love my car!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #125
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

You may want to get your facts straight, regardless of your M3 fanboy status. You prefer your M3 over a 1M and that's all great, it's a matter of choice, but the limp mode you speak of has not been an issue since the introductory 2007 335i, which lacked an oil cooler and was recalled.

The 1M on the other hand has more cooling cores than 2 M3's combined and there are 0 reports of overheating/limp mode during high performance track sessions.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #126
MEHP
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Faster? No. On the same level with a good driver. If you like it, ok. You were not the one telling it was bad on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
You may want to get your facts straight, regardless of your M3 fanboy status. You prefer your M3 over a 1M and that's all great, it's a matter of choice, but the limp mode you speak of has not been an issue since the introductory 2007 335i, which lacked an oil cooler and was recalled.

The 1M on the other hand has more cooling cores than 2 M3's combined and there are 0 reports of overheating/limp mode during high performance track sessions.
I think there could be some problems as well. I don't know anyone who did longruns with it. After a couple of laps there were no issues but that says nothing. That's to be seen on hot days 2012.

Again, none of the cars is really better. Both offer great packages.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 07:13 PM   #127
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Faster? No. On the same level with a good driver. If you like it, ok. You were not the one telling it was bad on track.

I think there could be some problems as well. I don't know anyone who did longruns with it. After a couple of laps there were no issues but that says nothing. That's to be seen on hot days 2012.

Again, none of the cars is really better. Both offer great packages.
I see you are in Germany. Not sure how often you are on these forums or how much you read on the 1M section, but there are already dedicated track cars that have endured 100+ F degree weather without issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 07:29 PM   #128
MEHP
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I see you are in Germany. Not sure how often you are on these forums or how much you read on the 1M section, but there are already dedicated track cars that have endured 100+ F degree weather without issues.
I read the same about the M3 some posts above.
Dunno, will see next year after a day driving Nordschleife, I think. Got the car too late to try it.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #129
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

i've never driven the 1M, and love the concept of the car. But i think if I ever got the 1M, I would always regret not buying the M3. With the M3, I never even think I want to switch to the 1M. Of course, my mind can be changed if a 1M owner will kindly lend me your car for spin to change my mind.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 08:34 PM   #130
MEHP
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
i've never driven the 1M, and love the concept of the car. But i think if I ever got the 1M, I would always regret not buying the M3. With the M3, I never even think I want to switch to the 1M. Of course, my mind can be changed if a 1M owner will kindly lend me your car for spin to change my mind.
Depends on what a driver you are, I think. If that should all go well and I can buy a used M3, I maybe never switch to the 1M again. For tracking, I'd rather take the M3 though. I am no turbo-fan at all. But maybe all my thoughts change when I track the 1M finally. So glad, my dad lends me his for that.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 09:19 PM   #131
Ateam
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Who cares if it has 10 extra oil coolers than the m3, with FI you need them and NA you do not need nearly as much as you do not produce nearly the heat. But thanks for playing. Limp limp limp the 1m said on his way home (while still smelling like piss)

Did I mention it looks like a total chicks car!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #132
MEHP
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Who cares if it has 10 extra oil coolers than the m3, with FI you need them and NA you do not need nearly as much as you do not produce nearly the heat.
Agree. The turbos produce really heavy amounts of heat. That's why I think there would be problems as well. But that's usual.

Quote:
Limp limp limp the 1m said on his way home
Don't agree with that. It's still a car from M GmbH. That would be more than embarrassing for them.
Appreciate 0