BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

11-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #45
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
You're right. They're different rides with different qualities. The E90 M3 is by far a much more practical daily driver (except for the gas mileage.) It all depends on the OP's criteria.
Yeah, though as it's looking like at least for me, the M3 isn't going to end up much worse than my 335xi. I probably averaged 17-18 in that car, and I'll likely be ~16 in this one. For me, the biggest drawback of that car vs the M3 was the engine. The massive torque of the N54 was fun for about a year, then it just got a bit boring.

To the OP, I frankly can't imagine paying a penny over MSRP for the 1M. At 7K over MSRP you are easily in M3 territory, and if you lease, you'll probably end up paying more for the car than an M3. It's certainly seems like a decent trade-off for someone trying to save money vs the M3, but even up, I can't imagine even many BMW enthusiasts picking the 1M.
I'm not choosing the 1M because it's cheaper than the M3 I'm leaning towards the 1M for its characteristics. I think the 1M might be a better choice for me as I have already had the M3 2 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #46
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerbeast View Post
750 is more my family car I'm looking to purchase something smaller as a small/fun car for myself. I see no point of a B7 if I already have a 750LI M.
LOL that's like saying hey I already had a 325 E90 so no need for an M3. Two completely different animals.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #47
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerbeast View Post
I'm not choosing the 1M because it's cheaper than the M3 I'm leaning towards the 1M for its characteristics. I think the 1M might be a better choice for me as I have already had the M3 2 years ago.
I guess my point is that if you are willing to pay an identical amount or possibly even higher amount for a 1M than an M3, you are likely to be in a very substantial minority of BMW enthusiasts, let alone average car owners. I would certainly consider (and in fact did) the 1M at BMW's MSRP pricing for the 1M. I would never consider the 1M at a price equal to the M3.
      11-21-2011, 05:43 PM   #48
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

based on the fact that you have a 7er, I'd say get the 1M. I traded in my 135i for an M3 because I needed a fast car that wasn't a big step down from the 911, but could double as a luxury car with plenty of space for 4. the 1M seems more pure, and based on your posts it seems that's what youre looking for.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #49
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

If you have owned an e9x m3 before, I probably wouldnt get one again. I like driving different cars/types of cars.

I also like the 1m. That said, I would not pay 5k or even more than 1k over MSRP for that car. That is ridiculous imo.

Im not sure what else I'd consider in this segment though for your needs....
      11-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #50
CallMeWonder
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto View Post
If it's your second car, I'd say go with the 1M. Plus it sounds like you've already had an M3, so why not get something different.
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #51
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeWonder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto View Post
If it's your second car, I'd say go with the 1M. Plus it sounds like you've already had an M3, so why not get something different.

I agree
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 06:31 PM   #52
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

One day, just one day, I want a thread that doesn't include, 1M vs M3, DCT vs Stick, What color should I choose? What tires do I need? What's a DCT?

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 11-21-2011 at 06:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #53
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
i say 1m if you can get msrp and if you cant then m3
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 06:37 PM   #54
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

My mind is boggled as to how nobody gets tired of the same threads over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over and and over, and over, and over and over , and over, and over, and over and over,over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over and and over, and over, and over and over , and over, and over, and over and over over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over and and over, and over, and over and over , and over, and over, and over and over over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over and and over, and over, and over and over , and over, and over, and over and over over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over and and over, and over, and over and over , and over, and over, and over and over again.

Is it too much to ask for someone to think outside the box and maybe hmm, I don't know..SEARCH? I'm all for bouncing ideas off people, but it's just getting annoying now.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 06:58 PM   #55
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

fine then. if you're gonna get all bent out of shape let's talk about a different comparison. how about m3 vs. GTR?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #56
Ateam
Banned
Rep

I do not agree with the arguement that if you can get it for msrp than buy it and if you have to pay 5k more than don't buy it. That is absolutely stupid for anyone that can afford an m3 or even a 1m. WHy would you not get the car you would prefer over 5-7k? Not saying its not crappy to pay ove msrp but unfortunately that is the only option so just get the one you want and pay the price. You will not care or remember once driving the one you want.

As far as the 1m being a girly car, I personally agree. However the 3 series is also kind of a chicks car, probably even moreso than the 1! So guess we all drive girly cars to some degree! At the very lease boy racer mobiles, atleast in most people's eyes.

If you just care about appearences than the m5 is the most manly, non-girly car, non boy racer exec super saloon!

I also do not know how some guy said the 1m is closer to the e46M?? It is a totally different delivery of power so how would this be more similar aside from maybe the size. The high revving delivery of the m3 engine is not that much different than the e46. Its only a couple hundred pounds heavier. Throw some KW coils and you get your rock hard e46 suspension.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 10:25 PM   #57
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
My mind is boggled as to how nobody gets tired of the same threads over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over and and over, and over, and over and over , and over, and over, and over and over,over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over and and over, and over, and over and over , and over, and over, and over and over over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over and and over, and over, and over and over , and over, and over, and over and over over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over and and over, and over, and over and over , and over, and over, and over and over over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over and and over, and over, and over and over , and over, and over, and over and over again.

Is it too much to ask for someone to think outside the box and maybe hmm, I don't know..SEARCH? I'm all for bouncing ideas off people, but it's just getting annoying now.
So close your eyes bro and you won't get annoyed I guess
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 11:12 PM   #58
rossii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post

11-21-2011, 11:13 PM   #59
RPChan
BMW for Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e93 M3 HT

Garage List
Owning both I can attest that the 1M is no girly car. Not even close. They are however completely different automobiles. The M3 is well sorted, comfortable and a joy to drive. The 1M is a car that you have to pay close attention to as you drive it. It prefers to be sideways always pushing out the tail as you accelerate.

On a long trip I would always pick the M3. Out for a drive just to enjoy the car? I would pick the 1M. Having owned and still own multiple BMW's I can comfortably state there is not another BMW like it.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 11:42 PM   #60
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
I do not agree with the arguement that if you can get it for msrp than buy it and if you have to pay 5k more than don't buy it. That is absolutely stupid for anyone that can afford an m3 or even a 1m. WHy would you not get the car you would prefer over 5-7k? Not saying its not crappy to pay ove msrp but unfortunately that is the only option so just get the one you want and pay the price. You will not care or remember once driving the one you want.
Well, the reason why many people wouldn't do it is that since that is money you'll likely never get back, it greatly raises the TCO. I ran some quick numbers, on a 1M @MSRP + 7K vs an M3 Coupe at a typical cost (close to invoice), ended up with 54.5K for 1M, 60K for M3 (I added metallic paint + 19" rims to make as comparable as possible). 1 Series depreciation tends to be worse than 3, so assumed 60% 3 yr residual for M3, 57% for 1M (of MSRP, not with "added dealer profit). Over 3 years assuming 10K miles per year, 1M costs ~$.92/mile, M3 costs ~$.72. How many people would really find it worth 26% more to own the 1M vs the M3? At that cost per mile, I'm sure you could get a pretty good P-car. If I was in the OP's shoes, I think a Cayman would be looking awfully attractive.
      11-22-2011, 03:08 AM   #61
BeamingE39
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slower than I'd like

get the 1M, if you have a e93 a e92 isn't gonna be that special. However the 1M is an absolute blast!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 06:42 AM   #62
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Another option is the new tt-rs which I think is a pretty awesome car for a fun / weekend car.

Plenty of power, looks great and 6mt
      11-22-2011, 07:54 AM   #63
fighterfox
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw 3 serries

Smile

hi
an m1 is not really an m engine so is the m5 m6 trucks go with the m3 specialy before they change it to the 6 cyl tri turbo the 3rd turbo is supposed to be driven electricaly so becarfull in ordering the 2013 m3 just go for the true heart of the v8 2012 go for it glwb.....
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 08:15 AM   #64
PTURANO
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by armanabovyanmd@yahoo.com View Post
Hi guys im from new, S. Florida and own 09 M3 with some mods. Im also contemplating of trading my M3 for a 1M, but really 10-15k over sticker and a smaller car. It can be very fast with about 7k in mods, close to 500 whp. But i know in 2 yrs 2M is coming out with the same spec and if not better than the 1M of current. I feel like its a downgrade if i switch to a 1M.
Guys i would really appreciate some advice, and i dont know what to do. I love my M3 and it handles awesome, but the 1m is also nice, but 10k over the sticker i dont know? plus its a newer car. What i hate about the E92 m3 very little torque.
2M?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 08:21 AM   #65
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber View Post
Well, the reason why many people wouldn't do it is that since that is money you'll likely never get back, it greatly raises the TCO. I ran some quick numbers, on a 1M @MSRP + 7K vs an M3 Coupe at a typical cost (close to invoice), ended up with 54.5K for 1M, 60K for M3 (I added metallic paint + 19" rims to make as comparable as possible). 1 Series depreciation tends to be worse than 3, so assumed 60% 3 yr residual for M3, 57% for 1M (of MSRP, not with "added dealer profit). Over 3 years assuming 10K miles per year, 1M costs ~$.92/mile, M3 costs ~$.72. How many people would really find it worth 26% more to own the 1M vs the M3? At that cost per mile, I'm sure you could get a pretty good P-car. If I was in the OP's shoes, I think a Cayman would be looking awfully attractive.
You're comparing apples to oranges when you trying to say the 1 series depreciation will be the same as the 1M. The e82 and e9X M3s never sold for over MSRP and BMW has produced thousands of them. The 1M is a one production year car with less than 900 units for the US and less than 2,500 worldwide. Figure that into your calculation and see what you get.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 09:22 AM   #66
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE92 View Post
what is the debate? if its not about the money you should get the M3... how can you compare them?

If it's not about money, the 1M would be the one. Why do you think people are paying a premium for it?

If your priority is driving a fun, light, torque-monster, then the 1M trumps.

The M3 only begins to win if you have other priorities like a bigger back seat or if you're religious about natural aspiration or if you can't drive stick .

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0