BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

08-14-2007, 08:50 PM   #23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: still deciding what to order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
But then again boring is subjective, what you may find boring some people may find exciting
Boring is in general subjective, but it's not subjective in the way I meant it. I meant that Toyota makes boring cars to drive from a sports car enthusiast's point of view since we are talking about sports cars here. Obviously they do not make boring cars from an off roader's point of view or from an old woman's point of view, but we aren't talking about Baja racing are we? It is impossible to argue that Toyota doesn't make boring cars as far as sportiness goes. You were unable to name ONE single car that Toyota makes that is sporty. Not one. And this is the company that is soon to be the largest manufacturer in the world, so they make A LOT of cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 12:08 AM   #24
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac Johnson View Post
Depending on the styling and the layout, it could be a huge success. If I can fit my 6'3' 200lbs frame inside it, I might seriously consider one. It could be an awesome track car.

You know a Toyota motor is going to be solid, Scooby's AWD systems are arguably the best out there. Sounds like a winner to me.

As far as Toyota being boring, yes, most of their current production cars are boring. But, Toyota is heavily involved in racing efforts, they certainly COULD make an amazing sports car if they wanted to.

Oh shit, just read it again, they say it's for the Japanese market, hopefully it will make it's way over here..
you can get a semi sample in the new WRX. It has a toyota grille on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 010101 View Post
Boring is in general subjective, but it's not subjective in the way I meant it. I meant that Toyota makes boring cars to drive from a sports car enthusiast's point of view since we are talking about sports cars here. Obviously they do not make boring cars from an off roader's point of view or from an old woman's point of view, but we aren't talking about Baja racing are we? It is impossible to argue that Toyota doesn't make boring cars as far as sportiness goes. You were unable to name ONE single car that Toyota makes that is sporty. Not one. And this is the company that is soon to be the largest manufacturer in the world, so they make A LOT of cars.
i don't know man. I think the MR2, AWs and SWs were great in their own age with the modding possibilities. They weren't awesome, but they were affordable MR layouts for enthusiasts to play with.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 05:55 AM   #25
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecC View Post
i don't know man. I think the MR2, AWs and SWs were great in their own age with the modding possibilities. They weren't awesome, but they were affordable MR layouts for enthusiasts to play with.

I said the MR2 was a good car. I am talking about current production cars. If Toyota the company which is soon to be the largest manufacturer in the world didn't make boring cars from a sports car enthusiast's point of view then you would be able to name a production car they currently make that isn't boring.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 12:23 PM   #26
SpecC
Rep

Quote:
I said the MR2 was a good car. I am talking about current production cars. If Toyota the company which is soon to be the largest manufacturer in the world didn't make boring cars from a sports car enthusiast's point of view then you would be able to name a production car they currently make that isn't boring.
sorry i misunderstood. started this thread and never really checked until yesterday hahaha. Yeah, their current cars are pretty awful in the sports range. I think they only thing they have going for them in the states at least are the Scion tCs which are terrible sports cars!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 10:06 PM   #27
scoop
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

Toyota has already announced it will be building a new HYBRID sports car for 2009.
Before you laugh, it's supposed to churn out 400-plus HP.
It probably won't be called a Supra but if you google it, you'll come across some incredible photos.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2007, 12:30 AM   #28
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Quote:
The car will be aimed at young, urban buyers and will use a 2 liter engine and Subaru's all-wheel drive. The target price is 2 million Yen, or about $17,000 U.S.
2 Litres? $17,000? Boring.

Now if the press release read something like:

Quote:
The car will be aimed at sports car aficionados and will use a twin turbo-charged 4.0 liter V8 engine developed by Toyota and Subaru's all-wheel drive system. The target price is about $68,000 U.S.
Now that would be something to be excited about.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2007, 04:22 AM   #29
SpecC
Rep

^i would hardly pass off subaru's boxer 2.0 L engines that easily. If they can turbocharge STis to 300 hp at the crank with only 2.0 liters and balance it out to make an awesome sports car worth turning heads, then why is 2.0 liters bad? People have even tuned this engine to 700-800 hp. When was the last 700 hp E90 you've heard of?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 03:39 AM   #30
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedogg View Post
2 Litres? $17,000? Boring.

Now if the press release read something like:

The car will be aimed at sports car aficionados and will use a twin turbo-charged 4.0 liter V8 engine developed by Toyota and Subaru's all-wheel drive system. The target price is about $68,000 U.S.

Now that would be something to be excited about.
Go drive an Evo RS (2 liter $25,000) and a $68k V8 Mercedes back to back then talk about what's boring. Displacement doesn't mean anything. Some Evos are putting out around a thousand horsepower.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 10:02 PM   #31
Cadillac Johnson
Free taco with stolen base
Rep
Drives: 335i? GTR? RS5?

Quote:
Lexus IS-F?

The soon to be production LF-A?
      08-20-2007, 10:28 PM   #32
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac Johnson View Post
Lexus IS-F?

The soon to be production LF-A?
Big, heavy, automatic, boring luxury sedan. Not a sports car. The STI is a sports car. As for the LF-A who knows. Never seen it, never driven it. We'll see. I don't think there are any other manufacturers that don't have one sports car that are anywhere near Toyota's size.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 10:37 PM   #33
Cadillac Johnson
Free taco with stolen base
Rep
Drives: 335i? GTR? RS5?

The IS-F is a big, heavy, auto, boring luxury sedan?

How do you feel about the M5? or the E90 M3?

Why are they any different?
      08-20-2007, 10:43 PM   #34
NaTuReB0Y